What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
It's been constantly raining here. Got a small enough break in the weather to fix the window on my house. Swapped one out for another. Not too bad of a job.

20230619_134949.jpg

20230619_144541.jpg

20230619_152820.jpg

20230619_155344.jpg

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Looks like the r3t@rded weather is going to not be an every day thing starting this week. Prior it has rained every day for a month plus with flooding last week. You were right in my back yard!
We were @ the Beaver Run resort. Got caught in hail or sleet 3x last week.....

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Replaced the water pump on my k1500 for my dad. His nissan exploded and caught fire so he's been driving it to work. Took about two hours, having never done a sbc pump before. Did it in the bar parking lot across the street from my grandma's house where he was at.

wp1.jpg
wp2.jpg
nissan2.jpg

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Whelp, I'm thinking of buying (another) one. There's some semi-inique aspects to it.

Unfortunately, it's a t-top car which means, like all, it assuredly must have leaks - I harbor no illusions to the contrary.
Screenshot_20230619_222031_Chrome.jpg

3rd gen, fbody. But, like I said. There's something special about this car that makes me want it, even in spite of this issue which looks like some rust under the rubber.

I also suspect nobody makes a seal worth a damn.

The good is its supposed to be a 69k mile car. Again, you can swap a cluster and change mileage pretty easy. The bad is that for sure the tach doesn't work, unsure about the rest of the gauge package. It'll need the usual spring cleaning - tires, belts, fluids, etc.

It needs a bunch of work, not the best repaint, wrong rear bumper cover, wrong wheels, etc.

I 'want' to pull the trigger. But I also have a nagging feeling I'm asking for problems. Eh.... I dunno. Wish it wasn't a *@&# t-top....

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Following up on this one since I'm now back home. The trip was successful for our duo & I enjoyed it.

The Coupe is the veteran here as far as road miles. It logged around 2k miles for this trip (822 each way + road miles while there).
My Cabriolet did the run up & down Pikes Peak but that was about the limit to its action. Crap weather (daily rain or sleet/snow mix) had it mostly sequestered to the parking garage. The two days we ventured out in it thinking we would be ok were regrettable once the rain started. I was mainly happy as the newly swapped <72hr old hydraulic brake set-up functioned well which is fairly important descending that rock :cool:

The Coupe got us where we wanted to be for our trip adventures as well as did the Iron-Butt (9a/Sat-1a/Sun) 830mile drive back that included a brief visit @ Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo....
no issues with any of those cars climbing to altitude? running FI or carb?

Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
no issues with any of those cars climbing to altitude? running FI or carb?
All carb'd set-ups.

There were issues & they were expected. My buddy's coupe has a Weber 2-barrel. It did fine the entire trip w/the air cleaner removed as we entered the Colorado area. I tried getting in jets/power valves for the Stromberg on mine but couldn't get them in time. I did ok but it def wasn't happy. There was a spot or two climbing Pike's where I could barely keep it going but managed to. Once we made it to the 12,000' level I didn't think I could go further but it kept running so I kept pushing forward.

To be 100% honest, I was only concerned about the descend. Late model cars w/disc brakes can struggle & over-heat the system. If you can't climb to the top, oh well.... You tried/gave it hell. Coming back down? It's basically idling but 'life & death' sketchy w/o the ability to brake.

When we started back down, I was fairly nervous. I followed the line of the other A's on the trip & watched where they were initiating braking & worked w/that. After the first couple of sharp/steep corners I didn't even think about it & was good to go. I don't remember @ what elevation it was coming down, but they require you to stop/pause & check your brake temps w/a gun. For our group, they basically did the first car & the rest of us just filed through slowing enough to say 'hi' to the guy w/the gun.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
they asked if they could get some pics in the bed of the Elky, I said sure and walked away. I really should have taken a pic or 2 myself of them in there.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Besides, when's the last time you could say you had girls in that bed?

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Pics or it didn't happen!

Besides, when's the last time you could say you had girls in that bed?
Two distinct possibilities:

1) the "girls" he references were actually lia thomas and it's friend.

2) notice the lack of 'after' pictures. The girls blew out the rear shocks and the springs were sagging after

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Since I already had the compressor up and running so that I could use my DA to strip the Monte's passenger q-panel down to bare metal and do some archeology I decided it would be a good time to dig out the air motor and load it with a deburring point. The objects of my attention for this exercise were a seat bracket that had came to me as a supposedly ready to use part but which, in reality, had never gotten beyond the fresh from the casting sand stage. I had been using my dremel tool to knock down the high spots and while it did the job, you could tell it was operating at the very bitter outer edge of its performance envelope. The air motor, by contrast, no problemo. How smooth do you want it and away you go. Just be careful not to lean on it in tight places because if it jams it can rip your wrists off before you can let go the trigger!

Oh yeah, for anyone contemplating running an air motor, you need a serious compressor, Not sure of the actual specs for this one but i get about two minutes of work time for every minute of compressor run time. My compressor is a big 3 lung D-V unit,; there are pictures of it somewhere on the board, and it is on its own 220V circuit.
The other thing is that this is not a shorts and wife beater situation. Think bunny suit, gloves, breather mask to keep from inhaling the dust, ear muffs, and full face shield. You'll know it if a small speck of debris hits bare skin; it stings. As for the breather, you DO NOT want to get steel dust in your lungs. It is too heavy to cough up and it will rust in there and start causing infections and ultimately COPD.
The same holds true for the DA, full bunny suit and all the trimmings. The paint dust is just about as nasty if inhaled; about the only things that might be worse in my opinion would be smoking unfiltered cigarettes or being exposed to mustard or chlorine gas.

Since tomorrow is another clinic day, I can use the PM to take some pictures for the G-Body thread.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor