What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Replaced the needle valve in the tractor yet again. At least this one lasted a couple of years before getting sticky. Replaced it with another supposedly vition tip needle. Of course a few days after ordering 3 replacrments I found a place that sells solid metal tip needle valves. Ordered one of those and will try it if the new vition needle valve sticks again.

Coker makes a decent selection of retro tread pattern tires in various brands and sizes. If a bit of rubber rake is the target, they might be somewhere to check out.

Did end up having to wait until Monday to hit the hydraulic shop for those plugs and, wonder of wonders, they actually had them in stock!! Set the air cleaner back in place and discovered that the bottom tray was talking very heavily to the tube for the ATF stick. For that, i only had to go into my stash of JIC parts and swap the 1/2 inch air cleaner space for the 1 inch spare and, then, of course, have to make another retainer stud to compensate for the additional height.

At that point it was shut the door and lock it as it was time for a road trip to the Cities; specifically to the State Fair Grounds in St. Paul for the AMCA Viking Chapter National M/C Judged show and swap meet. About 800 miles round trip. Spent a few days with some old friends and made a couple of new ones. Got to eat properly cooked steak!! and plan to stay away from Italian cooking for my remaining visits in the future.

And yes, I Took Pictures, way too many to post here, although............................

DSCN3748.JPG

DSCN3752.JPG

DSCN3756.JPG

DSCN3754.JPG

OKay, okay, so it is not a G-Body. What it is, is a second generation Model A, 30-31 convertible, with the top still resident although folded down. This was not a static display. One of the members drove it in and drove it back out again at the end of the afternoon.
Still has a four banger in it. Wheels aren't stock, more likely 34 or 35. Ford changed the design on them to the wide five configuration in 36.

Also think that the windshield has had a bit of a haircut, not much, an inch or so. It could be an illusion thing as well.

And the finish appears to be original, well worn, but mostly still there.

Nick

• Winner
Reactions: scoti and liquidh8
Love the rubber rake, something I am doing to my 32 5 window next as it needs new rear rubber.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Applied 20 psi to the air side of my Canton oil accumulator, armed the master off switch, triggered the oiler to shunt some 10W40 into the mains, rods, and cam bushings and then spun the starter motor on my Non G-Body G-10 Van. No waa-waa pedal, just on the starter to give the fuel bowls time to fill up and it fired on the fourth try. Was only on the key about 2-3 seconds per attempt to keep from abusing the starter. Came up to about 1900 rpm at high idle, so I let it sit there for a few minutes while it warmed up and I took the opportunity to look for puddle and things on the floor. Once the temp gauge hit 100+, it came back to about 900 with only a minimum tap on the throttle. Daddy LIKE!

Now that I know all is well, the next item on the list is an oil and filter change for the summer plus a few shots of grease at the various lube points.

Then took a few minutes to address the overflowing weed population, and reduced it by a few square feet with my weed whacker only to discover that I have to return to being a fence installer as the ice off the roof has deformed my chain link fence rails again. Will have to fabricate a couple of re-inforcing post for that section once I get it replaced to act as brackes against the weight and force of the ice as it slams against the fence. Meh.

Nick

Did the oil and filter on the G-10 as well as renewing the grease in the suspension and steering joints. Have one more item on the repair list to deal with on Sat and then down it comes for a test run.

Back again, to the ongoing lifter issue. When I picked up my case of oll for the van, the general conversation included the issue of lifters and I mentioned Johnson being suggested as a good alternative. The response was that, even though Johnson was an american manufacturer, the steel they are currently using is not american made. Apparently they had a fire in their foundry down in the States somewhere so they have had to resort to importing steel from overseas (Guess where.... "C"🙂 what I mean) and the quality of the new steel is the drizzling s***. Johnson still is doing all the machining and manufacturing in house, but despite their best efforts the final product is not as durable due simply to what is in it by way of the inferior quality of the raw metal.

So back to looking for older units that are still serviceable.

Nick

Took the GTO and the Elky out over the weekend, got sucked in by food and then did some karting. Got blocked most of the first race, once I got out the second time I was able to get a fast enough time to unlock the pro level. Then yesterday after the show went out for some Hibachi, impressed the exotics by semi keeping up in the Elky. Really should have got a pic but when I ran back out to the car for my charger 2 girls were doing a little photoshoot in front of the cars, they apologized and asked if it was mine I said no. When they saw me go in the Elky the one girl said she had a really strange question for me.... I was expecting the worst. But they asked if they could get some pics in the bed of the Elky, I said sure and walked away. I really should have taken a pic or 2 myself of them in there. Once I was headed home I heard the exhaust got a lot louder and was expecting the worst. Just turned out to be semi straight piped for the ride home
20230617_123059.jpg
20230617_142157.jpg
20230618_200504.jpg
20230618_210301.jpg

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Took the GTO and the Elky out over the weekend, got sucked in by food and then did some karting. Got blocked most of the first race, once I got out the second time I was able to get a fast enough time to unlock the pro level. Then yesterday after the show went out for some Hibachi, impressed the exotics by semi keeping up in the Elky. Really should have got a pic but when I ran back out to the car for my charger 2 girls were doing a little photoshoot in front of the cars, they apologized and asked if it was mine I said no. When they saw me go in the Elky the one girl said she had a really strange question for me.... I was expecting the worst. But they asked if they could get some pics in the bed of the Elky, I said sure and walked away. I really should have taken a pic or 2 myself of them in there. Once I was headed home I heard the exhaust got a lot louder and was expecting the worst. Just turned out to be semi straight piped for the ride home
View attachment 222910View attachment 222909View attachment 222908View attachment 222907
Dude with the red Porsche needs to suck it up and get a pick-em-up if he wants a bar with lights :banana:

• Haha
Reactions: mclellan83
Running. Out. Of. Time....

• All hydraulic drum brake hardware is now in place @ each corner on the Cabriolet.
  • The rear backing plates require flipping 180° & then some massaging of the aftermarket shock brackets was needed.
  • The E-brake cables were tied into the OE e-brake rod-lever/fulcrum w/some turnbuckles & function like they should.
  • The requisite under-floor hydraulic master cylinder bracket for a 'juice-brake swap' & front suspension spring mount spacer were welded over the weekend. I finished up the final part of the brake bracket yesterday (had to drill out the pivot fulcrum for the appropriate Oilite bushings but the bit I purchased specifically for the task had too large of a shank for the drill press necessitating another bit w/a reduced shank). Drilled to size, pressed the bushings in, touch-up painted as needed & the finished bracket is ready for installing tonight.
  • I picked-up some NiCopp brake line + fittings, the master cylinder, & brake light pressure switch so we've got the hydraulic parts side of things in house.
Following up on this one since I'm now back home. The trip was successful for our duo & I enjoyed it.

The Coupe is the veteran here as far as road miles. It logged around 2k miles for this trip (822 each way + road miles while there).
My Cabriolet did the run up & down Pikes Peak but that was about the limit to its action. Crap weather (daily rain or sleet/snow mix) had it mostly sequestered to the parking garage. The two days we ventured out in it thinking we would be ok were regrettable once the rain started. I was mainly happy as the newly swapped <72hr old hydraulic brake set-up functioned well which is fairly important descending that rock 😎

The Coupe got us where we wanted to be for our trip adventures as well as did the Iron-Butt (9a/Sat-1a/Sun) 830mile drive back that included a brief visit @ Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo....

Attachments

• Resized_20230611_092716(1)002.jpeg
    Resized_20230611_092716(1)002.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230611_103007.jpg
    20230611_103007.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230611_111506.jpg
    20230611_111506.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230611_111454.jpg
    20230611_111454.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230617_183512.jpg
    20230617_183512.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 49
Following up on this one since I'm now back home. The trip was successful for our duo & I enjoyed it.

The Coupe is the veteran here as far as road miles. It logged around 2k miles for this trip (822 each way + road miles while there).
My Cabriolet did the run up & down Pikes Peak but that was about the limit to its action. Crap weather (daily rain or sleet/snow mix) had it mostly sequestered to the parking garage. The two days we ventured out in it thinking we would be ok were regrettable once the rain started. I was mainly happy as the newly swapped <72hr old hydraulic brake set-up functioned well which is fairly important descending that rock 😎

The Coupe got us where we wanted to be for our trip adventures as well as did the Iron-Butt (9a/Sat-1a/Sun) 830mile drive back that included a brief visit @ Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo....

Looks like the r3t@rded weather is going to not be an every day thing starting this week. Prior it has rained every day for a month plus with flooding last week. You were right in my back yard!

Reactions: scoti

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor