What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Not today, but, yesterday I bought these either for shelf stock/trade bait, use on one of the C10s, or, adaptation to the redneck trailers courtesy of Carlisle GM Nationals:

View attachment 223301

2 sets of metal c10 centercaps;

View attachment 223302

Front turn signal lamps and step bumper lights;

View attachment 223303

NOS gmc hubcap.

View attachment 223304

1981-1991 fender emblem

View attachment 223305
1970s squarebody K5 emblem
Looks like you made the trip worthwhile

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Looks like you made the trip worthwhile
Absolutely. And the weather was perfect for a visitor/buyer.

Friday was overcast, light mist, rarely any actual rain of note. Except for some extremely cheap parts, there was no point in worrying about 'first day buying' because the crowds were low.

Saturday was nice weather except for a single thunder shower about 5 minutes long. Everything I mentally marked Friday was still there, except, cheaper, and, a bunch of guys who didn't come or hadn't set stuff out Friday had stuff available Saturday as well.

Selling the one firebird dash will cover the costs of the other plus the weather strips. The truck stuff is cheap and easy money. I'll be using the caps on some wheels to sell, and the two emblems more than pay the costs of all the truck stuff combined.

All in all, a cheap but successful trip. And it wasn't even very expensive. Just stop for gas once each way in Virginia.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Replaced the broken mirror on the Buick LaCrosse today.
20230704_112536.jpg

This has been a frustrating experience. The first time I painted it, the basecoat turned cloudy and whitish. I assumed the humidity was at fault.
20230703_195212.jpg

So I sanded it back down and sprayed it again. This time it looked good but when I put it on this morning, the clear was dry to the touch, but soft enough to leave finger prints. I'm hoping that it hardens after a few days and I can wetsand the prints out of it, but I'm too fed up to try and paint it again. I'm not sure if this is a user error, environmental issue, or a bad can of paint. Same stuff I used on the fenders.
20230704_122424.jpg

Hopefully it cures and I can polish it but if not, like my dad would say, a guy on a fast horse won't notice it.

Reactions: 6 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Replaced the broken mirror on the Buick LaCrosse today.
View attachment 223770
This has been a frustrating experience. The first time I painted it, the basecoat turned cloudy and whitish. I assumed the humidity was at fault.
View attachment 223771
So I sanded it back down and sprayed it again. This time it looked good but when I put it on this morning, the clear was dry to the touch, but soft enough to leave finger prints. I'm hoping that it hardens after a few days and I can wetsand the prints out of it, but I'm too fed up to try and paint it again. I'm not sure if this is a user error, environmental issue, or a bad can of paint. Same stuff I used on the fenders.
View attachment 223769
Hopefully it cures and I can polish it but if not, like my dad would say, a guy on a fast horse won't notice it.
Don't think of it as fingerprints that left a defect, think of it like an artist's signature on a painting.

Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I got a call today from Firebird Central. Looks like they can't fulfill the order for a re-built 1967-8 tilt column. Good thing I restored the collapsed one I had because there are NO cores out there that they could find. The wife will be happy that big money will be refunded. :mrgreen:

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I dragged home another project yesterday. 2011 Limited with low oil pressure. Even with a probable engine replacement needed, the price was too good to pass up.
20230705_111529.jpg
20230705_111551.jpg

It'll probably just sit for a month or so. Too much other stuff going on at the moment.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Brought my S-10 into Bay One for its annual list of things to repair/replace/rehab/renovate/to do. Most of this summer is the ignition system; coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, then a round of sanding and repair on the box sides around the eyebrows for the wheels. then a newer front bumper to replace the one that is terminally infested with rust worms. After that, check the frame for abrasion on the paint work from last year and touch it up where/as needed.

My bike is waiting on a kit for the rear master cylinder; no idea when that will show up or if it will ever show up.

Most of what I will get done has to be jammed into the days that I am off, which are becoming fewer and fewer this summer because we are short handed and I am the bottom of the call in barrel. Once they assign me shifts, there is no one else, the barrel is empty. People just don't want to work, even if only periodically to add a few more bucks to the budget for non-essentials? like new washing machines and refrigierators.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, someone, anyone, For the S-10 distributor rotor, two small screws hold it down, T-15 torx head and 3/16ths of an inch, maybe, of thread. ANYONE know the exact wire gauge and thread pitch for these? I had one escape down the rabbithole behind the engine block today and the only way I could replace it was to buy a complete rotor. These screws seem to have no part number for them alone in the aftermarket, but a generic equiv might work if it is not metric.

Right now the plan is to wait until the unit is up and jack standed for it's oil change to use a magnetic probe and do a hunt and seek exercise around the top of the t-mission to see if it got caught in the wiring harness or accumulated crud up there. Trtied the short air gun but all that proved was it it had not found its way to somewhere it could cause trouble.

The old cap and rotor were junk to the point where the rotor contact tab was about gone and the screws had rusty heads. Lots of years of cold weather and short range driving .

Suggestions?? Thx.

Nick

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Try an M4 X1 X 13 -15mm long. Supposed to be an ac delco 38425XF, nothing comes up under that number.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor