What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3774.JPG

Setting up my portable vise to do some more deburring work on those stock LS manifolds. To the right you can see the victim awaiting its fate. My air motor is waiting and loaded with a tungsten carbide burr. The cute little bottle is air tool oil. The air motor likes to get its oil "fix" just a drop or two, on a daily basis.

DSCN3772.JPG

A before shot of the victim. Most of what is going to get ground away is the flash on the tubes in the spaces between them. This is metal left over after the casting process and the factory only removes what it has to in order to make the part ready for use. As many of us have cause to appreciate, casting flash can be razor sharp and you almost always end up with your hands wrapped around some when you are trying to dismount a manifold or similar part.

DSCN3778.JPG

After about an hour or so, this was where I stopped for the day. The number three pipe is going to need a little welding to build up the outer surface before i can do any more shaping. I also need to score a fine toothed burr to finish off the seams and edges that I ground down.

And no, these are not headers. These are just a pair of stock exhaust manifolds that will be returned to service if'/when my Orphan LS finds a home.

DSCN3761.JPG

And now for something completely different, this is the Chummee seat suspension assembly that Indian offered for its Chiefs if you wanted to bring a passenger along. The keen eyed will have noticed that the seat Tee shows some signs of having met up with my air motor and burr as well. This happened because the Tee came to me as a sem-finished casting that had only been deburred to the minimum. I started the deburring process on it with my Dremel Tool but quickly decided that air power was the way to go.

DSCN3767.JPG

Add one seat pan and you have the raw components for another ongoing project. This pan was a cast off that showed up on E-Bay. Vendor was located in Texas and thought he was selling a piece of junk. Nah, not even close. i did have to repair some damage but that was just time with the MIg. It still needs to be bead blasted and then repainted before I set out to score some seat foam and a cover.

DSCN3776.JPG

DSCN3779.JPG

Back to the deburring job again for just a picture or two. In shot one you see the ear muffs, dust mask, and full face shield. For doing the grinding and deburring on those manifolds they all got worn by way of me staying safe.
When is a bunny suit not a bunny suit,? When the occupant has spent some time rolling around under his truck, working an air motor to remove casting flash and smooth out some metal, engaging in some heavy metal love with a DA to strip multiple layers of paint off a quarter panel, plus a few other exercises in having fun in a garage. Bunny suits, more properly named painters coveralls, come fresh out of the bag ias snowy white garments; around me they don't stay that way much beyond the first hour of fun.

DSCN3781.JPG

Finally, I found a place and installed a pair of hangers to support and store my floor jack attachment for lifting and adjusting Car Doors, specifically ones like are found on my G-Body. Since the average G-Door weighs somewhere near 50-75 pounds fully loaded, and even the bare inner skin or shell is around 30 or so, they are not something you want to try to manipulate all by your lonesome unless you have no choice in the matter. To add to the problem, the weight is not evenly balanced and the door is about 60 inches wide at its widest point.

So I scored this attachment that bolts to a floor jack when you remove the frame pad and which bolts up to my jack Number 2 quite nicely. Jack 2 is also the jack that i have modified to be able to lift transmissions so it has the outrigger front axle that spreads the load over a greater foot print and lessens the chance of the jack spilling or tipping over. I so did Not want to wake up and find that I had somehow managed to end up with a t-mission in my lap and squashing my nuts!

So that is about if for the every picture tells a story seminar for today.

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
Did some work on Pap's Buick today. Finally got around to scuffing and buffing the fenders.
20230623_100104.jpg
20230623_153404.jpg

I got some touch up paint and touched up the scrapes on the rear quarter.
20230623_153354.jpg

I found that the A/C has been leaking refrigerant, about one 12 oz can every 3 or 4 days. So I put some UV dye in the system and found the leak at the condenser.
20230617_085815.jpg

I'll be ordering a new one from RockAuto along with some new trunk lift struts and maybe some spark plugs since I don't know if or when they were ever changed.

Reactions: 4 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Got some 18” take offs from a 2021 and new mirrors for the non G money pit
Grille and lights next month I think

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpeg
    IMG_0983.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
If you have 8 LS1 pistons and rods give me a jingle.
That's exactly what they are, low mileage LS1 that was built into a 383. Pistons look nice and Rods are great, none are spun. Pistons are 3.875" as they should be.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
That's exactly what they are, low mileage LS1 that was built into a 383. Pistons look nice and Rods are great, none are spun. Pistons are 3.875" as they should be.

I have an aluminum 5.3 that wants to identify as a 5.7.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Score!!

For me today was a rabbit hole.

First it rained off and on for most of the morning. Nothing to be alarmed about. Then, while the washer was in sensing cycle, there was power surge. Onlly a flicker for less than a second but enough to scramble its operating program. Tried the lobotomy method of pulling the plug and that didn't help so now it has to be a call to the service center on Monday. Put the soggy wet load of clothes out on the clothes line to see if it would rain hard enough to rinse them off, Nope. Took the lawn hose to them and then dumped the whole lot in the downstairs sink to soak. My work pants may have to go to the laundromat.

Went out to the shop to see if i could determine what had broke in my Porta-vise. Determined that the Issue ins't in the locking mechanism so now have to get into the spring loaded sliding jaw lock which is going to be a pain. it would almost be simpler to get a new one except that they are out of stock at the vendor with no ETA on resupply.

Ended my excursion by shooting a fast coat of anti-rust primer on that quarter panel. Ran out of paint, phoned my vendor, and it is a non-stock item with them, meaning I got it from elsewhere, only thing being where/when was that else??

Meh.

Nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Not today, but, yesterday I bought these either for shelf stock/trade bait, use on one of the C10s, or, adaptation to the redneck trailers courtesy of Carlisle GM Nationals:

20230625_222624.jpg

2 sets of metal c10 centercaps;

20230625_223006.jpg

Front turn signal lamps and step bumper lights;

20230625_223334.jpg

NOS gmc hubcap.

20230625_223054.jpg

1981-1991 fender emblem

20230625_232118.jpg

1970s squarebody K5 emblem

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor