What did you do to your non-G body project today? [2023]

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Sean and I did a rear brake job on his 2002 Sierra yesterday. We did rotors, pads and brake hoses on both sides. The rotors and pads are Power Stop. We've had good luck with their stuff. The hoses are Genuine GM and I couldn't be happier with them. We ended up replacing the passenger caliper. The piston didn't act right when I went to push it back in. I eventually got pushed back in but it took more effort than it should. We want this brake job to last a long time so I sent Sean up to Napa after a rebuilt caliper. I spent a fair amount of time and put a lot of detail into adjusting the parking brake shoes. We didn't replace them, as there was nothing wrong with them but they were adjusted too loose. Before this brake job, you had to push the pedal all the way to the floor to hold the vehicle. Now the pedal won't go to the floor but I'm pretty certain the shoes aren't dragging. It all turned out good. We just did the fronts so it's all new all the way around now. The truck's brakes are the best they've been in a long time.....

View attachment 232987

View attachment 232988

Can you adjust L/R independently on that truck? My trucks just have the 1 adjustment and it pulls one side faster than the other. If I could get them to pull evenly I could adjust it tighter. My 1 experience with Powerstop is also positive, very much so. They make a GG rated bonded semi-metallic rear brake shoe that is downright wicked.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Can you adjust L/R independently on that truck? My trucks just have the 1 adjustment and it pulls one side faster than the other. If I could get them to pull evenly I could adjust it tighter. My 1 experience with Powerstop is also positive, very much so. They make a GG rated bonded semi-metallic rear brake shoe that is downright wicked.
Yeah, both sides have an adjuster for the parking brake shoe. To do it right, you mic the I.D. of the parking brake drum and mic the O.D. of the shoe (it's most of a circle). You adjust to a specified clearance. I don't have the tools to do that so it was just a lot of trial and error slipping the rotor on and off and adjusting. There is no adjustment in the cables. It's just tab in slot at the equalizer.
2009-07-22_174134_370485.gif

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, both sides have an adjuster for the parking brake shoe. To do it right, you mic the I.D. of the parking brake drum and mic the O.D. of the shoe (it's most of a circle). You adjust to a specified clearance. I don't have the tools to do that so it was just a lot of trial and error slipping the rotor on and off and adjusting. There is no adjustment in the cables. It's just tab in slot at the equalizer. View attachment 232990

Ahh nice, then that's what I need to do to the Envoy and Corvette. Night and day difference from before?

Nov 4, 2012
Sean and I did a rear brake job on his 2002 Sierra yesterday. We did rotors, pads and brake hoses on both sides. The rotors and pads are Power Stop. We've had good luck with their stuff. The hoses are Genuine GM and I couldn't be happier with them. We ended up replacing the passenger caliper. The piston didn't act right when I went to push it back in. I eventually got pushed back in but it took more effort than it should. We want this brake job to last a long time so I sent Sean up to Napa after a rebuilt caliper. I spent a fair amount of time and put a lot of detail into adjusting the parking brake shoes. We didn't replace them, as there was nothing wrong with them but they were adjusted too loose. Before this brake job, you had to push the pedal all the way to the floor to hold the vehicle. Now the pedal won't go to the floor but I'm pretty certain the shoes aren't dragging. It all turned out good. We just did the fronts so it's all new all the way around now. The truck's brakes are the best they've been in a long time.....

View attachment 232987

View attachment 232988

You just wanted to show off that rust free frame and those wheel arches that are completely intact.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Took the Goldwing out for a 40 degree ride, and found the speedometer cable started squealing like Deliverance. It had broke the cable earlier in the year, and the replacement got dry graphite spray before installation but it still occasionally made noises.

I kinda went nuclear with the ATF and eliminated all possibilities. Nearly 100ml went down the cable and a hose full was pushing against the speedometer input for an hour.

I took another ride after reassembly and no more noise.

20231227_195205.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Good fix. I think I probably had less than 3000 miles on my Goldwing before I wrecked it and it got aftermarket gauges. That was 27 years ago. Ugh, I'm old.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Been doing little things around the new house for the nice lady who lives with me, putting up shelves, fixing stuff lazy *ss flippers ****ed up, etc.
Back door only had a single locking knob, no dead bolt, but the front door and garage man door do. Put a dead bolt on the back door and moved the latch closer to the door, it was only engaging by barely 1/16th.
On the k1500 side, picked up a lisle 02 sensor tap/thread chaser and got the driver's side manifold all sorted, and got the correct donut gaskets. Next weekend i'll pick up the y pipe.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Ahh nice, then that's what I need to do to the Envoy and Corvette. Night and day difference from before?
Absolutely. The brakes are fully applied with the pedal halfway down, or just a little more. I went out about 25 clicks on both sides from where it was. Where I started, the parking brake would hold the truck but the pedal was on the floor. You just have to be careful that the shoe isn't dragging on the drum. It will wear away quick.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Absolutely. The brakes are fully applied with the pedal halfway down, or just a little more. I went out about 25 clicks on both sides from where it was. Where I started, the parking brake would hold the truck but the pedal was on the floor. You just have to be careful that the shoe isn't dragging on the drum. It will wear away quick.

I'm about where you were, handle at the last click to get the thing to hold in place.

Nov 4, 2012
On the k1500 side, picked up a lisle 02 sensor tap/thread chaser and got the driver's side manifold all sorted, and got the correct donut gaskets. Next weekend i'll pick up the y pipe.
Lisle is an underrated company. They make some nice tools for fair prices and most or maybe even all of them are US made.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor