What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

Mr. Sony, was thinking about that washer and it occured to me that the one I just exiled to the yard for dissection plus the new replacement in the basement both have water pumps. Why? Because they come with metered water delivery based on load weight; fancy language for the washer being able to "weigh" the load and add the correct amount of water to get to a preset total weight by volume. If you happen to be near by when the washer loads you can hear the pump cycling as it injects the initial amount of water, then weighs the load, and adds more water as necessary. It can do that several times before it is "happy" and lets the actual washing commence. It can even interrupt the wash cycle and add more water if the load goes light.

All this might not apply to your machine due to age but the newer models mostly have this feature due to "envirinmental efficiency" another fancy term for using as little water as possible to attract the tree huggers. (Now you know that I had to throw them under the bus at some point now didn't you??)

Reactions: Ugly1 and 86LK
bought a tow-yard auction truck ('07 SIlverado) the other day so been getting it ready to roll.

-battery dead: replaced (and the stereo starts playing mexican music as soon as it got power 🙄)
-checked oil: black gold, sludge on the dipstick, and a quart low! (but no milkshake)
-radiator: over flow empty , poured a gallon in (sucked it all down)
-20" front tires: off the rim so got used pull-offs at Discount Tire (got 4 excellent tires for $20/ea with 9/32 left, $175 out the door with mount/balance! those tires are $190 each!)

started it up....no CEL or nothing. OBD code reader has 4 codes (3 ABS, 1 BCM)
update:
cleaned out all the trash in the truck, found about $2 in pennies and dimes, some new headlight bulbs in packaging....Bonus!...found the blue title from the 3rd owner who never registered it. so the impound yard was sending tow paperwork to the 2nd owner and his lien company, who had already signed off on it, all the time 😁
even came with a small fishing kayak in the back, which I should be able to sell for about $75

looked up all the RPO codes after getting home....came with 20" wheels, towing, 5.3, 4L60e, 3.73 rear positraction limited slip, auto climate, rear seat stereo in console

got the tires mounted, poured another gallon of coolant in, it sucked it down.....ooooookay, poured 1/2-gal of water in and it stops sucking it down. start engine to circulate, it sucks it down, I pour the rest of the water in...sucks it down, then part of another gallon to top off the overflow because now I know I have a leak in the overflow at the least as I can see it dripping underneath. grab another gallon of water for the 8 miles home. my buddy drives it home with me watching the rear view mirror and talking to him on the phone all the way. get a half mile from the house and the temp starts going north of 210 just as we top a steep hill into my 'hood. I noticed "smoke" coming from the front drivers wheel that last halfmile, told him to get it parked in my driveway and shut it off. we make it, pop the hood, and can see where antifreeze is leaking out of the radiator and getting that whole front corner wet, and I can hear it boiling and popping in the upper radiator hose. I think the only reason we made it home that easy was because the outside temp was 44.

so now I think I know why the truck was abandoned by the owner at the apartment complex they towed it from. looks like a new radiator, overflow tank, hoses, and coolant . with that and tires, my total cost so far is <$4400

get it fixed, get it registered and titled and charged sales tax by the DMV. but since the tow yard are good guys they don't fill in the auction price and let buyers do it. I think it's worth.....$500? sounds good to me!

the good: got a solid truck as a spare driver that even after I clean it up, fix stuff and use it, I can probably double my money. trucks are gold here in Texas
the bad: gotta fix stuff, possibly some bad front ball joints

Did you use Tow Lot? I used to bid but never got any. Problem here is only in Phoenix, 3 or 4 different yards, don't think Tucson has any.

Mr. Sony, was thinking about that washer and it occured to me that the one I just exiled to the yard for dissection plus the new replacement in the basement both have water pumps. Why? Because they come with metered water delivery based on load weight; fancy language for the washer being able to "weigh" the load and add the correct amount of water to get to a preset total weight by volume. If you happen to be near by when the washer loads you can hear the pump cycling as it injects the initial amount of water, then weighs the load, and adds more water as necessary. It can do that several times before it is "happy" and lets the actual washing commence. It can even interrupt the wash cycle and add more water if the load goes light.

All this might not apply to your machine due to age but the newer models mostly have this feature due to "envirinmental efficiency" another fancy term for using as little water as possible to attract the tree huggers. (Now you know that I had to throw them under the bus at some point now didn't you??)
It's a 20+ year old whirlpool lol
but thanks for the info

Fixed the wreck on the front of my sister-in-law's brother's truck today. Does that make him my brother-in-law? It's an 01 Ram 1500 4x4. It was his daddy's truck. A few years ago he hit a deer going to work. I bought him new headlights/park lights and a radiator for Christmas. My brother and sister-in-law bought him a bumper/grill kit. It's far from perfect. The aftermarket parts didn't fit the best but it looks so much better. Somehow we didn't get a before picture. Here's the end of the day....

20240120_143212.jpg

The blue tape is holding the emblem while the glue dries. We'll swap the radiator in tomorrow. I'm waiting for the sun to go down and then I'll go back out and aim the headlights tonight. We bought him the tires for his birthday. He's in a lot better shape. He has a touch of Autisim and we're all he has for family so we've taken him in under our wing a bit. He has his own place, holds down a job and works hard so he's well worth helping. It was a cold day but I'm satisfied with the outcome.

My daily buzzbomb decided to let me know it was time for an oil change. Nice and sunny today with some wind, real feel was 33 out so managed to knock that out in the warm part of the day. Now it's avoiding anything outside for the night.

Reactions: Ugly1
Harbor Freight had one of their low profile Daytona floor jacks on sale for $50 off if you have their store club discount, which seemed like a pretty good deal. I've been down to one floor jack for the past 6 months or so after I got rid of my larger jack because it was leaking and I didn't want to fix it. The one I kept is a very old Sears 2 ton model. It works great but it is a bit small for trucks. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Daytona jacks so I'm eager to use this one.
20240120_174430.jpg

Harbor Freight had one of their low profile Daytona floor jacks on sale for $50 off if you have their store club discount, which seemed like a pretty good deal. I've been down to one floor jack for the past 6 months or so after I got rid of my larger jack because it was leaking and I didn't want to fix it. The one I kept is a very old Sears 2 ton model. It works great but it is a bit small for trucks. I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Daytona jacks so I'm eager to use this one.
View attachment 233876

Isn't there a Buick in your garage begging for attention?

• Haha
Reactions: joesregalproject

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor