What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Well, I thought that I had an opportunity to score a steering column assembly for my Gee-Body only to discover that the vendor now wants the ful price, no more make an offer, and that the shipping and handling is going to be obscenity piled on brutality. Plus they state in writing that they will not guarantee that the part in question will fit, even though the fit list provided as part of the auction promo material says so. Still have a little thinking to do but what they want is comparable to about 85-90 percent of what I net per week! from my part time City gig! At any other time of the year, the decision would be a little easier but this is both national tax time and city tax time and this years quarterly municipal tax payments pretty much equal what the vendor wants for the assembly. Pretty much a no-brainer as I value my house and property more highly than my laying hands on a part that has been a long time searching.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Nice angle on that BOO-Tee shot. The left cheek does appear to possess some Tat work, mostly covered by those shorty-shorts but I am curious as to whether those socks are genuine or some kind of TAT as well?

nick

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, I thought that I had an opportunity to score a steering column assembly for my Gee-Body only to discover that the vendor now wants the ful price, no more make an offer, and that the shipping and handling is going to be obscenity piled on brutality. Plus they state in writing that they will not guarantee that the part in question will fit, even though the fit list provided as part of the auction promo material says so. Still have a little thinking to do but what they want is comparable to about 85-90 percent of what I net per week! from my part time City gig! At any other time of the year, the decision would be a little easier but this is both national tax time and city tax time and this years quarterly municipal tax payments pretty much equal what the vendor wants for the assembly. Pretty much a no-brainer as I value my house and property more highly than my laying hands on a part that has been a long time searching.

Nick
Nick, I'm pretty certain I've got a column from an unknown year monte, all I could guarantee is it was 85-88. No key, and would need the wiper stalk replaced.

I'd give it to you for cost of shipping, but, it'd be coming from good ol USA.

If it helps you, let me know. If you can't use it I'll probably drag it as trade fodder to April's swap meet.

Reactions: 3 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH

Nick
Would it be worth looking into rebuilding the one you have? Either send it out or buy all the parts and do it yourself? There’s a couple places here in the in the states one in New York State and I can’t remember where they other is off the top of my head.
There is an online how to I used to rebuild and tighten mine.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
First of all, Thanks Large for the offer of that Monte Steering column. Greatly appreciated. At one point I did happen to have the corpse of one from my 78 that I thought was still around but seems to have disappeared at some point. The big issues would be length and wiring and how the shaft couples to the steering box.

Doing a rebuild is not that difficult as there is only the shift lever and turn signal resident in the mast. I have had several Monte columns disassembled over the years for the purpose of harvesting bits and pieces. However, when i noted that this column is for my GEE body, I was referring to the fact that it is a G-10 series Chev Van, not an A/G series MonteCarlo; that is my other ride. It is something of a running joke with me to the effect that "When is a G Body not a G Body......."

For the Van, the thing for me here is that I am looking to upgrade the complete column from an 80 version to the 84-91 unit. That would give me the cruise control, the wiper control and the turn signal, all on the column, plus give me the full shift pattern for a 4 speed automatic transmission, which I don't have now. The 84 vans came with either the 200R4 or, more probably, the 700R4 and I would like the column shift to be a correct match to the t-box for full functionality.

So I guess that I will just keep looking. I pretty much need to locate an old school salvage yard that keeps everything and scraps nothing. Priuses need Not apply.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
First of all, Thanks Large for the offer of that Monte Steering column. Greatly appreciated. At one point I did happen to have the corpse of one from my 78 that I thought was still around but seems to have disappeared at some point. The big issues would be length and wiring and how the shaft couples to the steering box.

Doing a rebuild is not that difficult as there is only the shift lever and turn signal resident in the mast. I have had several Monte columns disassembled over the years for the purpose of harvesting bits and pieces. However, when i noted that this column is for my GEE body, I was referring to the fact that it is a G-10 series Chev Van, not an A/G series MonteCarlo; that is my other ride. It is something of a running joke with me to the effect that "When is a G Body not a G Body......."

For the Van, the thing for me here is that I am looking to upgrade the complete column from an 80 version to the 84-91 unit. That would give me the cruise control, the wiper control and the turn signal, all on the column, plus give me the full shift pattern for a 4 speed automatic transmission, which I don't have now. The 84 vans came with either the 200R4 or, more probably, the 700R4 and I would like the column shift to be a correct match to the t-box for full functionality.

So I guess that I will just keep looking. I pretty much need to locate an old school salvage yard that keeps everything and scraps nothing. Priuses need Not apply.

Nick
Any reason you're avoiding the 92-95 versions? Is it speedo/electronic trans signal related?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Got it in one, or, actually two!! Being a 1980, everything is still very much mechanical, including the speedo, which is cable driven, and the transmission, which is mechanically shifted into gear and then uses the TV cable for its shift points. Nothing in this vehicle has to deal with a computer or sensor input except the gauges and they all use dedicated and specific sending units which have no need to send any kind of signal to a CPU. (Not looking to upgrade either. It was hard enough to do the transmission swap that got me my 700R4!! Just getting the van high enough in my garage, even with 10 foot celings, was an exercise and a half that I am not looking to repeat.)

The 84-91 steering column is still pretty much mechanical with respect to how it deals with the engine and other subsystems. As for the cruise, and intermittent wiper, the parts for the cruise are stil to be harvested, and the wiper is already resident, needing only to be moved from the dash to the plug in on the mast which is a wiring adaptation that is not hard to execute as the colors of the wires don't change.

Anyway. I did get back to the vendor that quoted me for one he has. Thing here is that he did accept my offer; it is the shipping costs that are the killer obstruction. I have gotten back to him to determine what method of shipment he would be using and what his best alternate method of payment is, because he wants to use online banking and I don't online bank, PERIOD. I have no faith that an online account of any kind is secure from a determined hack attack and the notion of having my credit and security information floating around in the cloud and available for purchase by the highest bidder is enough to ruin any number of good nights of sleep.

My bottom line here is that, if I cannot get a cheaper shipping cost, or if he/they insist on some kind of specialized electronic payment, then the deal is dead. I can do Paypal and a few other ways come to mind but if not, then not. Sucks but there it is.

CopperNick

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Got it in one, or, actually two!! Being a 1980, everything is still very much mechanical, including the speedo, which is cable driven, and the transmission, which is mechanically shifted into gear and then uses the TV cable for its shift points. Nothing in this vehicle has to deal with a computer or sensor input except the gauges and they all use dedicated and specific sending units which have no need to send any kind of signal to a CPU. (Not looking to upgrade either. It was hard enough to do the transmission swap that got me my 700R4!! Just getting the van high enough in my garage, even with 10 foot celings, was an exercise and a half that I am not looking to repeat.)

The 84-91 steering column is still pretty much mechanical with respect to how it deals with the engine and other subsystems. As for the cruise, and intermittent wiper, the parts for the cruise are stil to be harvested, and the wiper is already resident, needing only to be moved from the dash to the plug in on the mast which is a wiring adaptation that is not hard to execute as the colors of the wires don't change.

Anyway. I did get back to the vendor that quoted me for one he has. Thing here is that he did accept my offer; it is the shipping costs that are the killer obstruction. I have gotten back to him to determine what method of shipment he would be using and what his best alternate method of payment is, because he wants to use online banking and I don't online bank, PERIOD. I have no faith that an online account of any kind is secure from a determined hack attack and the notion of having my credit and security information floating around in the cloud and available for purchase by the highest bidder is enough to ruin any number of good nights of sleep.

My bottom line here is that, if I cannot get a cheaper shipping cost, or if he/they insist on some kind of specialized electronic payment, then the deal is dead. I can do Paypal and a few other ways come to mind but if not, then not. Sucks but there it is.

CopperNick

Just use a credit card for online stuff. Fraudulent charges are easy to remove.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
changed the oil/filters in my fiances car and the k1500
regal will get it's due, but im taking the engine out for a gasketing and the trans pump seal

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor