What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
well, THIS sucks.... I finally got around to pulling off the upper radiator hose last night after shoving the garden hose in , running it for a minute with all the water pouring out the lower hose inlet, "looked" clean... and this is what I see...

on the one hand, we know it didn't overheat on the way home until the radiator blew a patch. on the other hand, this sh*t looks so bad I don't want to have to do the job twice.... replace water pump?

View attachment 235187

View attachment 235188

View attachment 235189

Yeah, but first run some sort of cleaner through it or CLR.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I like Cascade. But it may eat the pump, so, if you are going to replace it anyway............

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I am still battling that 1950's bathroom. I scored a new handle and escutcheon kit on Fleabay cheaply. But the hot and cold stems were a too short. 😡 So I considered using stem extensions. Ace was the only place that had them long enough. And they were $16 each! Fugeddaboudit. Home Dupa had brand new OEM stems that were the right length. I got both for $20 total. Now to wait on delivery.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
we know who the previous 2 owners were (possibly here illegally) and it was obvious how they cared for the truck ("put another patch on 'er!") . in the words of my Mexican co-worker at the auto parts store ...well, I won't repeat it because then I'd be accused of racism, but he knows these types of vehicle owners and says he's not surprised. says they probably just ran straight water thru it when the level dropped.

so now the question is whether to re-install the old radiator, fill it with water and CLR or Evapo-Rust, then circulate and flush? or install the new radiator? (nope, don't want that gunk clogging up my nice new radiator) and do I install the new waterpump before or after the flush? can we safely assume the old water pump is actually circulating fluid?

I imagine the old radiator will need to have a constant dribble of water added to it since it leaks, and since it doesn't have a radiator cap that means I have to add via the overflow tank. my nice brand-new clean overflow tank....

What a PITA....

anyone know the correct amount of CLR to add? it's mentioned in the JJ linked thread but not how much. I assume run it 'til it gets warm then shut it off and flush. do it once or multiple times?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I would use the old pump and radiator as mules. My system was very rusty and cruddy. What I did was to remove the thermostat, flush, add the Cascade, let it run until it got nice and hot. Then I let it sit for a while. Then I ran it hot again. Drain, flush, drain, until it stays clear. In my case, the Cascade took a lot of flushes to get all the foamy bubbles out. The radiator then leaked like crazy. Whatever was keeping it tight, the Cascade removed. Looking inside the pump cavity, the cast iron looked brand new. Then I put a new pump on. I had not expected the radiator to leak, so that was a surprise. I got a new aluminum Spectra and the system is clean to this day.

• Agree

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
IMPORTANT!! If your heat has been OK, and you do not want to risk ruining the heater core, then you should disconnect the hoses and run them in a circle. Bypass the core and run them right back to the engine. A G-body with no AC is a cinch to swap the core out. But with AC- more work than I care to do.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The heater core in a GMT 800 or 900 is a dash out job. Don't run Cascade or anything else but clean water or 50/50 through that heater core.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If that is just what is immediately visible, gotta wonder what is lurking inside block itself? Almost looks like who ever topped off the coolant used well water or some kind of "hard" water straight from the tap with a lot of dissolved mineral content in it. Which would make sense given what is suspected about who the previous owners might have been. For all anyone knows, they might just have gone to the carwash and used the wand on the rinse cycle to fill the rad; 50 cents and done, and a lot of the washes recycle the water they use by running it through traps and filters to get the large stuff and then re-introducing it back into the water supply.

Nick

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If that is just what is immediately visible, gotta wonder what is lurking inside block itself? Almost looks like who ever topped off the coolant used well water or some kind of "hard" water straight from the tap with a lot of dissolved mineral content in it. Which would make sense given what is suspected about who the previous owners might have been. For all anyone knows, they might just have gone to the carwash and used the wand on the rinse cycle to fill the rad; 50 cents and done, and a lot of the washes recycle the water they use by running it through traps and filters to get the large stuff and then re-introducing it back into the water supply.

Nick

He should have an aluminum block LH6, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. I mean, I'm sure it's nasty, but ought to clean up OK.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Which was something I kind of wondered about because the CLR is for delousing cast steel and iron plumbing which ihas gotten rusty or contaminated by mineral or salt deposits Most iron based pipe is fairly tolerant to having its belly scratched by caustics. Aluminum, on the other hand, not so much.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor