What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

• Agree
Reactions: Rktpwrd and Ugly1
Fiance wanted a set of steps and a gate for trick or treaters this year so I made one out of half repurposed stuff and some hardware store stuff. I'm a car guy not a wood and house repair guy, but it works.
Yes, the steps are sitting on bricks. No I don't care. The ones on the rear of the house done by the "professionals" who "remodeled" this place are just sitting in dirt.
View attachment 247330
View attachment 247328View attachment 247329
Not quite done trim wise but it works. Next is to fix some rotten deck boards. Yep, that's what 160k buys you nowadays. Uneven walls floors, walls not attached to floors (floating pretty much), rotten decks, garage with power and fuse box crudely installed, then ripped out, broken washer drain pipes, etc.
You say you're not a wood guy, but I recall you also making that console out of repurposed wood for the buick so I think you're well on your way!

No sir, they're pretty well done for. The '14 took a hit through the hood and into the motor of a trunk. The '16 got what I call a 'main limb' in the form of a 10" thick sweetgum branch where the trunk divided itself into 3 sections as it grew, well that took out the roof, trunk, and hood, with all the water damage to the interior, dash, and wiring that comes with it.

If the buyback is cheap enough I'll salvage the drivetrain and doors off the '16, but, car has 160k on it so it'll have to be cheap to be worth it. The '14 I'll buy and just park as parts in the warehouse. Interior was mint being under 20k miles, and, the firewall back was in decent shape. But the front frame rails, strut towers, all that stuff got bent up so it'd be a healthy chunk of work, plus needing an engine, and front clip, to make it into a car again.
If the frame portion on the ‘14 is still good from the firewall back, maybe look into some fab shops for the racing world for a whole front subframe to salvage it into a dedicated track car?

Reactions: Rktpwrd and Ugly1
You say you're not a wood guy, but I recall you also making that console out of repurposed wood for the buick so I think you're well on your way!

f83d259e-1743-4e08-acf6-9ddb912031c8_text.gif

Just had a painfully brilliant moment. If I remember correctly they make a paint that looks and acts like chrome. You’d have to look into it and it was a few years ago I saw it.
Aye-yuh, I do remember seeing that or a similar product but it occurred in the last century, (Literally!! as back somewhere in the early 80's./) And yes I did try it but found that the bright finish didn't last if it was handled at all. If I went that way again, I would topcoat it with clear to seal up the "chrome" and keep it bright.

Nick

If the frame portion on the ‘14 is still good from the firewall back, maybe look into some fab shops for the racing world for a whole front subframe to salvage it into a dedicated track car?
Or is there a full frame conversion available that you could drop the body and drivetrain onto?

Nick

No sir, they're pretty well done for. The '14 took a hit through the hood and into the motor of a trunk. The '16 got what I call a 'main limb' in the form of a 10" thick sweetgum branch where the trunk divided itself into 3 sections as it grew, well that took out the roof, trunk, and hood, with all the water damage to the interior, dash, and wiring that comes with it.

If the buyback is cheap enough I'll salvage the drivetrain and doors off the '16, but, car has 160k on it so it'll have to be cheap to be worth it. The '14 I'll buy and just park as parts in the warehouse. Interior was mint being under 20k miles, and, the firewall back was in decent shape. But the front frame rails, strut towers, all that stuff got bent up so it'd be a healthy chunk of work, plus needing an engine, and front clip, to make it into a car again.
Maybe they can give their souls for a Factory Five kit since they are designed to use Ford parts. The Cobra roadster or Daytona coupe, the hot rod coupe, roadster or truck could be the new Mustang.

Reactions: Rktpwrd

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor