What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

finally got our new hvac system installed yesterday, after it crapped out 4 months ago. some of you may recall me posting about it. well, $10k later....

View attachment 247478

and got our new quartz kitchen countertops installed today! next step will be to re-color the cabinets.

View attachment 247479
Ouch, counter looks good. Why didn't you color the cabinets before the new counter got there?

• Agree
Reactions: CopperNick
Ouch, counter looks good. Why didn't you color the cabinets before the new counter got there?
talked to my GC about it, he said it could be done afterwards with no issues and we were having a bunch of stuff done; scrape ceiling popcorn, install new lighting, paint, build some extra shelves in pantry, build a new shelf unit in a blank wall with empty space behind it, tile the utility tub area and fix shelves, install new custom bath sink and toilet, etc

I like woodwork so I'd like to keep the cabinets I got but not paint them. found an interesting technique called 'ceruse' I think that would look really nice if correct colors are selected. and as many cabinet/cupboard doors as I have , that would be a few thousand dollars in just replacing them with new MDF junk

Last edited:
Reactions: mclellan83
talked to my GC about it, he said it could be done afterwards with no issues and we were having a bunch of stuff done; scrape ceiling popcorn, install new lighting, paint, build some extra shelves in pantry, build a new shelf unit in a blank wall with empty space behind it, tile the utility tub area and fix shelves, install new custom bath sink and toilet, etc

I like woodwork so I'd like to keep the cabinets I got but not paint them. found an interesting technique called 'ceruse' I think that would look really nice if correct colors are selected. and as many cabinet/cupboard doors as I have , that would be a few thousand dollars in just replacing them with new MDF junk

I say to each their own, having owned houses with multiple finishes I find having my wood surfaces (doors, trim, cabinetry) remain a natural wood shade, usually cherry or honey maple, just feels warmer and richer in a land of composite particle board finishes.

That's my age showing through, I know.

I say to each their own, having owned houses with multiple finishes I find having my wood surfaces (doors, trim, cabinetry) remain a natural wood shade, usually cherry or honey maple, just feels warmer and richer in a land of composite particle board finishes.

That's my age showing through, I know.
mine are 40yr old cabinets, made out of quality plywood with veneers and real wood fascias on shelf edges, etc., no MDF junk there. but it's all in the golden oak finish, very outdated. people in my neighborhood are painting their woodwork , which I just don't get. also have full built in cabinets in the office, 10ft ceilings with golden oak panelling, etc

Work on the insurance claim continues to grind onwards. I'm *hopeful* they'll cover damage to spare car parts from the garage and shed that we're flattened.

At the same time, I'm trying to be fair as well as practical. I have a handful of pieces of metal that were damaged, and, I was wondering if any of our members who were also actually bodymen might be persuaded to write up a quick and rough estimate on the dent repair costs only?

There's different endorsements I've got in the policy, but, the age of 1970/80s pieces skirt the line between valuation at replacement cost, valuation as an obsolete item which becomes ACV, etc. So im hoping to present them a repair cost, a used replacement cost, and a repop replacement cost, and let them tell me what they'll do.

If anyone is up for it I can get some detailed pictures.

That should look really awesome together, I just figured there would be less prep needed when doing that with the old counter

A gibbet cage, y'say??? Neat idea to use the laundry baskets. Any thoughts on stuffing a cheap plastic skeleton inside as a benedictive warning to your visitors?

Nick

That Ceruse looks to be an interesting finish. Would you be able to apply it without dismounting the doors or would it require that your panels be on a flat surface to minimize drips and runs?

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor