What did you do to your shop today?

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
I feel like I’m winning today. I got a few little projects done and finally got to put the Cabbalero in the shop.
065A7BC6-152B-4DB5-B424-899A46AF3EC3.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Great song but that vid is labeled improperly, that's a Santana cover of another guy's song. Appropriately applied, definitely winning.
couldn't remember who sang it and that popped up on YT, I also saw the Santana link.

here's the actual singer with Santana playing. him and Winwood sure sound a lot alike

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Someone got a lift. ;)

Good eye!

Found a 10K Hussman clear floor just before Christmas. Tried to convince the wife that it could be my xmas present, but she was pretty adamant that the garage is my christmas/birthday/valentines/et. present for the next 100 years or so. But I was finally able to convince her that I could sell the scissor lift to mostly finance the 2 post and it's a lot safer than the scissor lift.

Itching to get it installed, but right now it's got to be; 1) doors, 2) heat, 3) lift. Though I was supposed to be going to pick up my doors today, but they're delayed - of course. Once I finish getting the heating sorted out, I may turn it on a few hours to at least warm up the slab enough that I can mark where the lines run so I can install the lift.

I did get the boiler board mounted and mostly put together. Need to go get a couple more fittings to connect the expansion tank.

20220105_194454 (Large).jpg

I am eventually going to put something up to cover the interior walls. The facing on that insulation tears way too easy to damage right now and it's a huge pain to try and wall mount anything.

Going stick built instead of metal frame would have been a lot easier in that respect.

Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Good eye!

Found a 10K Hussman clear floor just before Christmas. Tried to convince the wife that it could be my xmas present, but she was pretty adamant that the garage is my christmas/birthday/valentines/et. present for the next 100 years or so. But I was finally able to convince her that I could sell the scissor lift to mostly finance the 2 post and it's a lot safer than the scissor lift.

Itching to get it installed, but right now it's got to be; 1) doors, 2) heat, 3) lift. Though I was supposed to be going to pick up my doors today, but they're delayed - of course. Once I finish getting the heating sorted out, I may turn it on a few hours to at least warm up the slab enough that I can mark where the lines run so I can install the lift.

I did get the boiler board mounted and mostly put together. Need to go get a couple more fittings to connect the expansion tank.

View attachment 189848

I am eventually going to put something up to cover the interior walls. The facing on that insulation tears way too easy to damage right now and it's a huge pain to try and wall mount anything.

Going stick built instead of metal frame would have been a lot easier in that respect.

Good stuff. I loathe drywall interior walls in a shop. Definitely go for chip board or plywood... things you can directly screw too.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well......not exactly a shop thing, but next best thing to it...

The old Genie garage door opener (17 year old screw drive) started getting twitchy. Did the annual maintenance on it and kept it lubed, but still, something started causing it to stutter and it was one of those "round tuit" things. It finally sh*t the bed and jerked one too many times and fugged up the metal sectional door. So after spending an afternoon having to fix the door as best I could, and adjusting the pee out of the existing opener, plus scoping out all sorts of different new garage door openers, I decided to bit the bullet and get the Liftmaster 8500W. It attaches to the torsion spring shaft on the end. Gets rid of the hanging unit in the middle and doesn't even touch the door itself.

Took me a whole day to install. Mainly to dismantle and remove all the Genie crap, then layout and neatly install the wiring and bits for the Liftmaster. I also had to run a new power plug through the ceiling above the new opener as the opening motor mounts in the corner of the garage now.

Programmed it to the Camaros, the CT5, and the GMC to use the exisiting Homelink. Easy to do.

So far, no real cons to report compared to the Genie it replaced, except it's a bit slower than what used to be. Plus, the old unit came with an external wireless keypad, this one I had to buy one optional. Should have come with one, IMO, but it was only another $40. Far and away worth the 2.5X the price of a typical Genie replacement at $600 vs about $250. But it's pretty awesome as far as openers go. It's wireless capable, connects via the house network and comes with an app to be able to open/close it via the iPhone from anywhere (works like a champ). It would connect with alexa too, but I don't have all that crap, so...

Also has battery backup, and automatic door close option which is custom programmable, so in case you forget to close the door it will do it for you after the time period elapses. The auto sensing LED ceiling light with timer off is bright as heck. Makes it nice when walking into the garage without having to manually turn on a light. Also, when it closes, it automatically jams a deadbolt lock to physically keep the door from opening more than about 6" even if someone did manage to get the door to move. When opening, the lock disengages automatically.

Not my review, but this is the unit I got. So far, it's a lot quieter and I'm lovin' it.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

The old Genie garage door opener (17 year old screw drive) started getting twitchy. Did the annual maintenance on it and kept it lubed, but still, something started causing it to stutter and it was one of those "round tuit" things. It finally sh*t the bed and jerked one too many times and fugged up the metal sectional door. So after spending an afternoon having to fix the door as best I could, and adjusting the pee out of the existing opener, plus scoping out all sorts of different new garage door openers, I decided to bit the bullet and get the Liftmaster 8500W. It attaches to the torsion spring shaft on the end. Gets rid of the hanging unit in the middle and doesn't even touch the door itself.

Took me a whole day to install. Mainly to dismantle and remove all the Genie crap, then layout and neatly install the wiring and bits for the Liftmaster. I also had to run a new power plug through the ceiling above the new opener as the opening motor mounts in the corner of the garage now.

Programmed it to the Camaros, the CT5, and the GMC to use the exisiting Homelink. Easy to do.

So far, no real cons to report compared to the Genie it replaced, except it's a bit slower than what used to be. Plus, the old unit came with an external wireless keypad, this one I had to buy one optional. Should have come with one, IMO, but it was only another $40. Far and away worth the 2.5X the price of a typical Genie replacement at $600 vs about $250. But it's pretty awesome as far as openers go. It's wireless capable, connects via the house network and comes with an app to be able to open/close it via the iPhone from anywhere (works like a champ). It would connect with alexa too, but I don't have all that crap, so...

Also has battery backup, and automatic door close option which is custom programmable, so in case you forget to close the door it will do it for you after the time period elapses. The auto sensing LED ceiling light with timer off is bright as heck. Makes it nice when walking into the garage without having to manually turn on a light. Also, when it closes, it automatically jams a deadbolt lock to physically keep the door from opening more than about 6" even if someone did manage to get the door to move. When opening, the lock disengages automatically.

Not my review, but this is the unit I got. So far, it's a lot quieter and I'm lovin' it.

I had the very analogue version of those at the old shop. They were workhorses. I will probably need to install one on the new shop to clear up the area over where the lift is going.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Got a surprise phone call from the Garage Door Repair Tech saying he was parked out front and was there to check out the main door. Back story on it is that when I put heat into the garage, it causes the top door panel to warp in the middle and walk away from the gasket, which lets the heat out and murders my heating bill.

Despite the absence of room to work in, he managed to set up a ladder, and got to the top to check it out. I had some lengths of that foam tube that is used to insulate water lines so I passed them up and he stuffed the crevice from one end to the other to create a temporary seal. Haven't been back in to do confirmation of integrity check but may get there tomorrow. Still can't use the left arm; one more week on the healing agenda before I can attempt some light weight exercises to re-animate the shoulder muscles and get them back to being manipulated.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

I had looked into this unit a while ago and was going to pull the trigger until I had other stuff come up, been wanting to get one since the side I want to use it on doesn't have the space to put the old style opener so right now is only manual. This really makes me want to pull the trigger again, maybe I will do it when I get my tax return and it warms up some to do the install.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor