What did you do to your shop today?

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Did manage to get out to the shop for a frigid minute on Saturday and, absent the lights, the place was as black as the bottom of my budget! Only swatch of light to penetrate the gloom was from the two high mount micro-windows on the north wall under the roof joists.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Cleaned out one corner by selling my L83 to my buddy for his Volvo 242 build. It will also have a C5 transaxle/independent rear and supercharged, should be a fun build.

Reactions: 5 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Well the black didn't last for long. I managed to muster enough energy and initiative to head out to the shop to return some wrenches and bring out the O-ring kit for the LS Manifold. So I get out there and poke around a little, grab the Dremel tool to bring it in, and just as I am about to head out again, i take one last peek at the main door top panel and....................daylight. The temps have been yoyo-ing up and down so the door may have twitched just enough. Anyway, the ladder was still in position from the last work on that seam so up it I go. Looks like the foam didn't seat right so take what is there and try to restuff it back into the pocket. No Joy, foam is the small tube size version and won't stay put. Back down the ladder, find a large dia length of the foam tube, back up the ladder and finally manage to get the foam to split open at the cut and get the now open edge to flatten out and roll into the opening. Once past a certain point its own desire to return to a cylinder will lock it in place and keep it from trying to twist back out. Had to do this for three of the four emplaced sleeves; BUT the panel is Back IN BLACK!! On the ladder with the furnace running you can feel the heat flow coming to the door so keeping the warmth in the building is money in my pocket. Right now it is a balmy 40 F. in there which is tolerable.

I have no plans for any return to work in there anytime soon until I deal with the Cardio-Cath Clinic in February and discover what they have to say. The way Covid is running amok around here, that appointment may not happen. i have no intention of going anywhere near that festering pile of sickness and disease that is our hospital right now, so I am just waiting for them to either call and reschedule the date/time or to decide on my own that until Omicron has run its course I am better off staying away from humanity.

Side bar to all this is that my neighbour and I were talking last night and I learned that the neighbour to the north on that side has a son back in quarantine for Covid for a THIRD Time!! Turns out the kid is running heavy equipment in a mine to the east and the whole project has become infected; Again. Owners and project managers seem to be more interested in the profit margin than in the health of the workers.

Nick

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Well the black didn't last for long. I managed to muster enough energy and initiative to head out to the shop to return some wrenches and bring out the O-ring kit for the LS Manifold. So I get out there and poke around a little, grab the Dremel tool to bring it in, and just as I am about to head out again, i take one last peek at the main door top panel and....................daylight. The temps have been yoyo-ing up and down so the door may have twitched just enough. Anyway, the ladder was still in position from the last work on that seam so up it I go. Looks like the foam didn't seat right so take what is there and try to restuff it back into the pocket. No Joy, foam is the small tube size version and won't stay put. Back down the ladder, find a large dia length of the foam tube, back up the ladder and finally manage to get the foam to split open at the cut and get the now open edge to flatten out and roll into the opening. Once past a certain point its own desire to return to a cylinder will lock it in place and keep it from trying to twist back out. Had to do this for three of the four emplaced sleeves; BUT the panel is Back IN BLACK!! On the ladder with the furnace running you can feel the heat flow coming to the door so keeping the warmth in the building is money in my pocket. Right now it is a balmy 40 F. in there which is tolerable.

I have no plans for any return to work in there anytime soon until I deal with the Cardio-Cath Clinic in February and discover what they have to say. The way Covid is running amok around here, that appointment may not happen. i have no intention of going anywhere near that festering pile of sickness and disease that is our hospital right now, so I am just waiting for them to either call and reschedule the date/time or to decide on my own that until Omicron has run its course I am better off staying away from humanity.

Side bar to all this is that my neighbour and I were talking last night and I learned that the neighbour to the north on that side has a son back in quarantine for Covid for a THIRD Time!! Turns out the kid is running heavy equipment in a mine to the east and the whole project has become infected; Again. Owners and project managers seem to be more interested in the profit margin than in the health of the workers.

Nick
saw the news about the 'unvax tax' being announced up there, and all of a sudden they got people signing up for vaccinations. is that seriously what it takes to get people to do the right thing? wish they would do it down here

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
saw the news about the 'unvax tax' being announced up there, and all of a sudden they got people signing up for vaccinations. is that seriously what it takes to get people to do the right thing? wish they would do it down here
You could move there.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, moment of clarity here. First of all, tonight, here on the Lake, the temperature is forecasted to hit -40. At Minus Forty, it doesn't matter what scale you use, it is all the same. This is not a country to consider moving to unless you are attracted to Popsicle Days and Icicle Nights, along with a heaping helping of ex-patriot squirrels that are addicted to electrical wire insulation to clean their teeth with!!

As for the Covid Tax, that little gem of political thinking is exclusive to a place called Quebec; located on the map above NY State, and rolling North from there. The reason the Queerbecoise, and some of them are very Strange, can get away with imposing this tax is that the legal code they work with is something called the "Code Napoleon" meaning it was created by Napoleon Buonaparte back in the 19th Century after the French Revolution. When Our Federal Charter of Rights and Freedoms was created in Canada, the buy in for them was that they got to retain the old French legal codes as a condition of acceptance of the Charter. All the rest of the nation uses the standard English Common Law Code as the foundation for their laws, the french were being, well, french. Since there is no federal policy on Vaccinations as it pertains to Covid, it pretty much leaves things up to the provinces and they haven't been able to get it right since Confederation back in1867!

So, much as we'd love to have y'all come on up, you might want to give that notion a whole lot of second thought. And, oh yeah, give MotorHeadMike's thread some serious re-reading on the thrills and chills of Canadian living.

Nick.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

Nick
So your door issue is apparently fairly common for heated buildings in our cold climates. Some manufacturers provide, or will sell as an option an anti-bowing brace that goes along the top. Especially with double wide doors. They look something like this. I guess you could also just put a piece of aluminum angle across the top to minimize bowing.

Untitled.jpg

• Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So your door issue is apparently fairly common for heated buildings in our cold climates. Some manufacturers provide, or will sell as an option an anti-bowing brace that goes along the top. Especially with double wide doors. They look something like this. I guess you could also just put a piece of aluminum angle across the top to minimize bowing.

View attachment 190223

I didn't have these in Ottawa, but our largest door here in SK has one.

PXL_20220114_180859843.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor