What did you do to your shop today?

Screwz

Greasemonkey
May 10, 2021
Arkansas
43CC4736-7717-43BA-91A9-34CE2A06DC3F.jpeg 6E68E5A7-371E-47F2-BEF2-FDC47047C075.jpeg 98AFA5F7-425F-4909-9208-B043540E484F.jpeg 194B1612-8391-4E0E-BFB7-5E0421817A70.jpeg
I built a welding cart out of an old jointer stand and bed frame. The jointer was here when I move here I’m not sure where the bed frame came from. It’s nice to be able to move it around and have my tank secured.

Reactions: 3 users

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I haven't really done anything to it but start moving some things in but we just bought a little 14 acre "farm" (or at least it will be when I get done) to retire to. I refused to sign a mortage on a place without a shop, so our place has a metal over standard wood frame shop with 10' walls. It is 30' by 40' and I am generating some wood of my own in anticipation on how I plan to set it up. It is plumbed for water and has a partly complete bathroom that needs a lot of work. It has 120v plugs every ten feet or so around all the walls on 30 amp circuit breakers and six (or maybe eight) double flourescent fixtures, which I will replace with LED. It has a 220 single phase drop by the rollup door on a 50 amp breaker with correctly sized wires.
I'm shopping right now for a two post - 9,000 lb lift. I already have a really cool 4' x 4' 45amp C&C plasma cutter (still in boxes after four years). I have an eight inch manual metal lathe, a large manual, knee milling machine and heavy duty drill press. I have most of the accessories for the afore mentioned equipment. I have welders and cutting torches and all manner of usefull tools, vices, bench grinders, etc.. You know, all the stuff my wife calls "My sh*t." Anyway, I am going back to the "farm" later in the week and will post some pics when I get back.

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just got a delivery from the jungle website fairy.

D7190379-CEE3-4622-A7BD-5F489A055675.jpeg

$35.00, plenty cheap.

Being that our cars at the newest, are 35 years old, and our interior plastics aren’t getting any less fragile, I think this’ll get good use as time goes on. Plan on attempting to repair a broken tab on the backside of an upper interior sail panel with it for starters.

Reactions: 3 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge

View attachment 219264

$35.00, plenty cheap.

Being that our cars at the newest, are 35 years old, and our interior plastics aren’t getting any less fragile, I think this’ll get good use as time goes on. Plan on attempting to repair a broken tab on the backside of an upper interior sail panel with it for starters.
$35 with side cutters and a knife!
Nice.

Reactions: 1 user

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada

View attachment 219264

$35.00, plenty cheap.

I've been tempted to get one of those. Curious to see how well they actually work

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014

View attachment 219264

$35.00, plenty cheap.

That kit mostly the wire bits you melt into the plastic pieces so they're bound back together, but, not the plastic bits you melt on afterwards, right?

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've been tempted to get one of those. Curious to see how well they actually work

Same here, it would make sense that it should work fairly well. By melting the staples into the plastic, they become one with the panel and put the necessary strength back into it. I’ll report back once I have a chance to play around with it a bit.

That kit mostly the wire bits you melt into the plastic pieces so they're bound back together, but, not the plastic bits you melt on afterwards, right?

Correct. Each type of plastic has its own unique properties, and you have to be sure of what it is you’re working with beforehand. ABS plastic for example, can be welded back together with solvent, I have some of that already. But polypropylene and polyethylene cannot. PP and PE have relatively low melting points however, so they can be fused back together with heat pretty easily.

The panel I have to repair is polypropylene, so my only option is plastic welding. The staple method I plan on trying will work better than trying to infuse new plastic filler rod, but that is the other option. A simple pencil style soldering iron and the appropriate plastic filler rods is all that’s needed for that type of repair.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Filled up a trailer with scrap metal today. Separated out a few decent pieces for the for sale section until the next load.

Really need to clean up around here with everything going on. You hope for the best, plan the worst, then whatever happens there's not much in the background to concern yourself with ;)

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor