What did you do to your shop today?

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
I had the driveway and sidewalks replaced.
20210710_082946.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
So today I was looking at and spoke about some various 55 gallon distillates delivered to the shop.

My question is, has anyone here had 55 gallon drum deliveries? Not sure if every delivery option would have a lift gate, and, I don't have forklift/loading dock access.

Have the cherry picker, but, question becomes securely and safely removing said drum. Nobody wants to dump 500 bucks with of stuff on the ground, let alone 55 gallons of mess.
Just call the supplier you are planning to order from and ask about lift gate delivery. One company here (small) company use to use his horse trailer for non dock deliveries until he was able to upgrade to a liftgate pickup.

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Spent some time on the net looking for someone re-habbing a kitchen Hope to get some decent lower cabinets for outdoor kitchen. Meet today with a buddy of mine to get ball rolling on wiring it

Attachments

• Shop.PNG
    Shop.PNG
    131.9 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: 7 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
I saw those, but I dont think they would work to get it down off a truck. I'm not sure of the reach, and being too high up would probably be unstable?

I did see some cool casters you could put under it to wheel around the floor once it's down though.
As a former delivery driver, I suggest asking for liftgate service if the order has not shipped out yet. If it is too late to ask the vendor, ask who the truck line carrier is, then make arrangements with them to deliver by liftgate, or pick up in person at their dock with a pickup truck (or trailer). A 55 gallon drum is going to weigh 400+ pounds, as well as being a potential mess, if dropped.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Climbed into my newest pair of white bunny-suit coveralls and made them not so white anymore by rolling around it them while under the van. In the current local weather they are like having your own personal portable sauna because the material they are made of does not breathe. (It will absorb POR 15 but that is another story)

There is a special type of cradle that a barrel can be attached to that allows the barrel to be rotated from upright to horizontal. That might give you enough head room to use slings to grab it with an engine crane. Think maybe Harbor Freight or Northern Tool have them for sale. By all means be careful with the brute. Apart from the mess and the paperwork needed to report the incident, you could get yourself a visit from the EPA about the bio-mess and impact and that could ruin anyone's day.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Packed a 20k lbs box truck full of equipment and moved most of my stuff 200mls from the old to the new shop. Next saturday is the second run with a smaller truck and trailer to get the rest of my stuff and the Gbody down here. You only know how stuff you have when you have to move it :X3:

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just curious but wouldn't the city be responsible for the sidewalk ? Around here they would tear it up and replace it
Some places require the property owner to maintain the sidewalks as part of the dedication process the developers agree to. Then, if anyone gets hurt on them (trips on cracks, not just slip on ice) even if in the right-of-way the property owner is responsible too

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

Benwa

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2020
Winslow Illinois
Just curious but wouldn't the city be responsible for the sidewalk ? Around here they would tear it up and replace it
They only pay for half of the sidewalks. I have put off replacing it because they blacktopped over the road which blacktopped over the gutters, so it doesnt drain and leaves a big puddle at the end of the driveway. Heaved pretty bad last winter. Thought it was going to rip a muffler of the monte coming back from winter storage.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Received my building yesterday. showed up on a 53' flatbed transport.

20210712_083937~2.jpg

the stuff at the bask wasn't mine. apparently the driver was headed to drop off a couple air handlers to a local KFC. There was no way that truck was getting down my laneway, but I had found a local farmer who has a telehandler. And he offered to help me unload for $250. Everything was offloaded in about an hour. Given that it would have cost me in the neighborhood of almost $1000 included taxes and delivery to rent one for the day I declare it a complete win..

20210712_194214.jpg

Crate on the left is mostly bolts, nuts, brackets self tapping screws etc. Soooo many self tapping screws, ~4000 of them according to the manifest. And about 600 various bolts etc. The pallet with the steel plates which will be used to joing the rafters together at the peak as well as the rafters to the column weighs about 2000 lbs. The plates you see on the top which are the rafter to column plates are ~260 lbs each.

20210712_194431.jpg

The Z-channel on the left here will be the purlins for the roof. The small C-channel beside it are the girts and some of the end wall framing. The large, but shorter c-channel are the wall columns and they're about 12" wide. The packaged nested together, but will have to get bolted back to back for each column. Same goes for the long C-channels there, they're 12" wide and about 20' long. Those are the rafters and also get bolted back to back.

20210712_194236.jpg

And then we have the roofing and siding. All 26 gauge. Short pieces are the side walls, medium stack are a variety of length for the end wall and then the long pieces are the roof. And of course, the building inspector is in the foreground supervising.

Now I just need a foundation. Still don't have a start date for the company who is supposed to do it. Trades are super busy this year. May end up doing a majority of it myself and just trying to hire a concrete finisher to do the pour. Was really hoping to have the foundation poured before the building arrived.

Reactions: 12 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor