What did you do to your shop today?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Been working on a way to better organize my metal stock... specifically getting it off the f*cking floor. Turned a couple of 8' long 3" ID ABS pipes into sleeves. There are sights/hand holes every 12" on centre - this allows me to see the shorter stock and feed it back up top. I'd like to get some 5" ID pipe for the larger and wider stock.

PXL_20210804_220902462.jpg

Perfect solution? No. Better for occasional use? Yes. I need this all up off the floor before winter... because a car goes there. ;)

Reactions: 10 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Went out to see if I still had my power lock/window harness. Found it, noticed my T-shirt was soaked in less than five minutes, went back into the house. Too hot to hang out in it this evening like I was planning.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, my ICON delivery got pushed to next week. Then this happened:

Screenshot_20210813-151309_Chrome.jpg

So, looks like I'll be buying more toys... speaking of, I've forgotten to check up on a non-icon delivery...

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Got office wired and ran first run of conduit. Boxes done and inspector coming out Monday. Local EMC scheduled for underground service to barn, met with them last Wednesday. Going with low bay LED lighting in the barn and dimmable 2 , 4 foot LED lighting in office. Exterior motion sensor LEDS. Doing 2 exterior ceiling fans and a 3 ton heat pump for cooling/heating. Exciting but pricey.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, it finally arrived.
20210816_212238.jpg

Has a small crease on the metal on the back if you look at an angle though.

20210816_160919.jpg

I used the words on the TV box to show how it distorts and "twins" the image on either side of the crease. See the "uhd tv" wording?

So I sent a message right at delivery when unpacking it, and they said send some pictures and such. It's the principle of an expensive piece of equipment, I didn't buy it scratch and dent.

It helps that we recorded the whole delivery and you can see the guy using the pallet jack improperly on it, not sure if that contributed or if it was moved around a warehouse too much.

The pallet was actually broken in half.
20210816_211518.jpg

Other than that, left it against the wall for now. It's not worth so much rearranging the garage depending how much refund they offer vs just replacing it. It's usable/functional, and after several years or a couple moves you might not tell, especially if you keep it on a wall. I didn't try mounting the stainless top though. It may have issues too because the slight bend affected the rubber matting on top, and thus, may need some persuading to mount.
20210816_161225.jpg

So, there we go.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
picked these up for more vertical storage in the garage. they're not quite the quality of the Costco Trinity but they hold almost as much weight (132 vs 160lbs on casters) per shelf and I'm not throwing engines on them. they are currently $89 vs $109 for the Costco. and you get 5 shelfs instead of 4.

1629173814743.png

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Went to an estate sale with the better half this morning and saw a nice Kennedy machinists box for $10 in the garage.

I didn't need it but for the price I couldn't say no. Even had a set of punches, a tape measure, mallet, small screwdriver set hidden and a small machinist square in between the papers that were jammed in it.

Had a mitutoyo dial caliper box inside and I got super excited but the caliper was missing :/

IMG_20210821_200911.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Went to an estate sale with the better half this morning and saw a nice Kennedy machinists box for $10 in the garage.

I didn't need it but for the price I couldn't say no. Even had a set of punches, a tape measure, mallet, small screwdriver set hidden and a small machinist square in between the papers that were jammed in it.

Had a mitutoyo dial caliper box inside and I got super excited but the caliper was missing :/

View attachment 182138
Nice find! I used to be a machinist and I love my Mitutoyo tools, that would have been a nice bonus!

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Well, instead of thinning the inventory i actually pulled the trigger on yet another acquisition. Nope, not a car although it could easily find a home in one. What I scored was an 02 Iron block 5.3 from an Avalanche 4x4. It came as a test run unit meaning that it was started and allowed to run before it was removed from the vehicle. The deal, with the ECM, was 650 Cdn. Picked it up today and brought it home. Right now it is solidly attached to my engine stand while I give some thought to what to do with it. NO, just to all-stop that line of encouragement, it is not going into the Monte. It took me too many years to find that year correct mill that I have in it now. The maybe could be my S-10 but to do that, at a minimum, I need a shallow sump oil pan and matching pick up, new motor mounts, and possibly shorty headers, although I like the look of the stock manifolds., Still need to scare up the stock engine management harness as having that will make it more of a plug and play exercise. The existing air plenum will get tossed in favor of a low profile unit like the Camaro's run. Reasonably sure that someone will throw a stocker on the net for sale at some point.

What it is, is a scungy, filthy, mangy brute in need of some wire brush and varsol TLC before it gets its load lightened. i will have to score the bracket for the Alternator/power steering pump and for the A/C pump as well. Still most of what makes it U-gly is superficial and should respond to some air wheel love.

No plans to pay Hummer prices for a low profile oil pan but again, E-Bay has been known to offer the darndest things to the highest bidder.

Cam?? Valve springs??? are things to think about during the winter. I have to have a budget for this up front or it will become a room mate for my 400SBC.

it is up for an oil and filter change so i can fillet the oil filter and see what's to be seen. The existing oil in the pan is all there and not burnt or gooey but I have not idea how long it has been sitting or what grade it might be so an immediate oil change is a cheap date. I also have a call in on a oil system external pressurizing thingamajig because, unlike the rest of my toys, with this you can't just pull the timer and plug in a pump drive and use a heavy 1/2" drill to prime the mill.

Once i get it a little more presentable, (read deloused of old flaky paint and rust and grease/crug) I may pop a picture or two of it.

Right now it sits as the differential is the main job on the floor and I still have to punch out the old upper control arm bushings and install a new pinion seal on it before it can sent to paint and then stuffed back under the Monte.

Nick

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor