What does this screw do? carb question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
hi all,
I've been just trying to learn more about my cars quadrajet carb, would anyone know what's the circled screw on the picture for and what's its purpose?

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mr. Digimurda & all; I haven't fooled around with an electric Q-jet & it's been years (1986) since I've seen mine (a 1979 unit), it's in a box. But if memory serves, you'll find a plunger (piston) & spring controlling your main jet metering rods. And the spring is controlled by vacuum, & that is one factor that makes Q-jets more complexed to tune. If you change any thing that affects the vacuum signal you'll have to change the spring, rods & or jets. And the secondary jets also have rods controlled by the air valve (flapper). And the flapper is controlled by the spring & set screw at the end of the shaft. Also the secondary rod hanger comes into the equation. Hence all these adjustments make the Q-jet a fine fuel metering unit, but damn hard for the shade tree mechanic to tune. One of the many reasons so many of us hot rod type guys run a Holley, their easy. I personally have three books devoted to Holley's & I can actually carry on a conversation about Holley's & you won't think I'm a fool. So I'll bow out now & leave this thread to the Q-jet guys as I'm in over my head. Bob Jr.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've only done one CCC Q-jet and it was a failure. For the life of me I cannot remember what that was for. Sorry, someone else will surely know.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The screw is the idle air bleed valve (IAB) adjusting screw, it is for fine tuning the idle mixture for your Qjet. You hook up a dwell meter to the green plug on your computer harness, and adjust the IAB to set the idle mixture dwell. It sounds hard but it is quite easy. Two key things that can screw noobs up are that the idle mixture and idle speed must be adjusted in Drive and to check the reading after you put the air cleaner lid back on. If the reading is still off, pop the lid, adjust again, and close the lid and cheak the reading again.

0996b43f8020e12f.gif

0996b43f8020e130.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor