What happened to young people and driving culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
All the kids around here would rather have a "coal rollin'" diesel with a trash can in the bed for exhaust....
That's still car culture.
Sort of.... I just remember reading articles in Hot Rod about Gale Banks and his mantra that "smoke is wasted fuel". It's just counter-intuitive to me. Not to mention the fact that I find it annoying as hell......

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
(As I patiently wait for the old days of cruising to come back. Someday. Maybe. After an EMP.)

*END RANT*

Maybe after gas drops back below a dollar a gallon, like when I was in high school.

• Agree

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
Has anyone realized that all the comments and complaints about the younger generation being on computers, phones, internet, and social media is the same things we are all doing right now as you read this post? This is a social group on the internet that has to be seen with either a computer or phone. We are not out working on our cars right now. We aren't driving our cars right now. (At least I hope not) We love our cars and work on them and drive them. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like the way our future society looks, but there is car culture out there. It just isn't what we are into. We Tune a carburetor with a screwdriver. They tune EFI with a computer. Different components, different tools, but same end result. Just my thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Has anyone realized that all the comments and complaints about the younger generation being on computers, phones, internet, and social media is the same things we are all doing right now as you read this post? This is a social group on the internet that has to be seen with either a computer or phone. We are not out working on our cars right now. We aren't driving our cars right now. (At least I hope not) We love our cars and work on them and drive them. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like the way our future society looks, but there is car culture out there. It just isn't what we are into. We Tune a carburetor with a screwdriver. They tune EFI with a computer. Different components, different tools, but same end result. Just my thoughts.

While I don't disagree completely the problem is most here have grown up in the old car culture and know how it was. The next batch I would put closer to the culture that grew up with The Fast and The Furious akin to what you said, tuning on a laptop but with less personal interaction. The new culture seems to have shrunk again with the advent of the "take me where I need to go" millennial crowd.

I think what is starting to happen is good for the car culture with Goodguys changing the years acceptable to include those that love car culture but would have never been allowed. I think places like H.A.M.B. that are clutching to the old ways are alienating anyone that may want to get involved but might want to use airbags or Mustang II suspensions.

I haven't seen much of that here BUT what I have seen is people that won't tolerate stupid questions then the people fighting the sane answers they don't want to hear and belittling the right answer.

• Agree

1983calais

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2015
Tiffin, OH
While I don't disagree completely the problem is most here have grown up in the old car culture and know how it was. The next batch I would put closer to the culture that grew up with The Fast and The Furious akin to what you said, tuning on a laptop but with less personal interaction. The new culture seems to have shrunk again with the advent of the "take me where I need to go" millennial crowd.

I think what is starting to happen is good for the car culture with Goodguys changing the years acceptable to include those that love car culture but would have never been allowed. I think places like H.A.M.B. that are clutching to the old ways are alienating anyone that may want to get involved but might want to use airbags or Mustang II suspensions.

I haven't seen much of that here BUT what I have seen is people that won't tolerate stupid questions then the people fighting the sane answers they don't want to hear and belittling the right answer.
Right. Most here have grown up with old car culture as did I. I love to watch TV shows centered around original car culture, I read about it, and I like going to events that have only older stuff. I like to relate myself somewhat to that because I don't have all the money in the world to buy whatever I want for my cars. I also like a challenge to design, build, and apply a modification to my cars. Its using your brain, physical work, and the best part is standing back and looking at (also enjoying) the finished product. You also have a great story to tell and stick in your personal archive. The millennials don't get to enjoy this part by tuning with a laptop and having a shop install their parts.

By some of these groups sticking to the old ways is good for the younger generation to see how it evolved and what the old hot rodders did to make things work. A history lesson if you will. On the other hand it may be for the old fogeys to keep the younger generation away. They have to want to learn and experience it. They are missing out if you ask me.

Adding newer years to other groups is good for younger car culture enthusiasts. It gets them involved and gives them a hobby other than electronics. But the older guys with older cars can't shun them because their car is newer or it has a laptop sitting on the passenger seat. Its called change. I agree it sucks. Both sides have to have respect for each other.

As far as them being lazy, not wanting their license, having everything handed to them is only the parents fault. I don't raise my kids that way and that's all I can do. We can't raise everyones kids for them. They are missing out on a lot of personal gratification. Telling them that and getting them to listen is another thing.

We can't be to hypocritical if we are doing some of the same things.

Now I have to go work on my car to get some of this time back!!!! LOL!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Let me try and brighten your day a bit on this subject.

Our babysitter, Owen, is 14 and was referred to us through our girls' MMA club. Came highly recommended - clearly not afraid of getting his hands dirty by changing poopy diapers. Great. Come to learn that his Dad (who is my age) works in the auto industry and takes Owen to drift events. The kid loves everything to do with cars and racing, and has a goal of getting a toy of his own. He is aspiring to work in the industry, and has signed up for shop class at school. Natasha was teasing me about being enamoured by his ambitions. So the last time we had him scheduled to babysit I picked him up in the TBSS, on the way back to our house I opened the cutout leaving his neighbourhood and made a ruckus... and on one of the back roads I let it eat (just a little - not my kid) for our mutual amusement. Got back to the house and showed Owen around the garage and then went in... Natasha and I had a movie to catch. But, before Natasha and I left - as I was reviewing the datalog - I looked him and said "...that was 7 pounds of boost"; we shared a grin. Natasha rolled her eyes.

You want kids in the hobby? It is up to you to foster the next generation. Be a friend. A role model. A mentor. And a bit of a rebel.

Our girls get a new Hot Wheel nearly every week and Tatiana helps me in the garage more and more... planting that seed.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Guys I must say there is exceptions to the stereotyping take for instance my little cousin Tanner he's 18 years old he's a hell of a body man he paints fire trucks for a living at a place called Sutton in northeast PA and he was here last weekend picking up my buddy's 87 Chevy pickup to restore it for him and yeah he'll do it himself
10777.jpeg
that's me in the picture and that's Tanner's coal rolling duramax Lauren wants to do Donuts in!
10778.jpeg
The kids loaded that up took a $2,500 deposit from my buddy and said I'll see you in 3 months for the rest of the money with your truck finished. He also has a square body of his own and if you look at the picture of my car on the lift you'll notice it's sitting next to my car on another lift he started the truck when he was 12
7837.jpeg
is older sister's a hell of a good welder and let's not forget about my little one last Halloween she was upset because she went to school dressed as Rick Grimes and couldn't bring a machete
IMG_20180425_184146.jpg
and her Hurst Olds was her idea not mine when she told me she wanted one I forgot I had one she was 7
IMG_20140817_195448.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Lets not forget how expensive Car Insurance is now. My niece is paying double and then some more than I was for full coverage back in 1987, $2400 for a 12 year old VW Beetle. Tough to work part time, car payments, pay a huge insurance bill, add gas and maintenance and I'm not surprised most don't bother.

My oldest will be getting her driver's license in a year and a half and is already talking about a car. She'll be on the road as soon as she's able I think. We'll see.....

Reactions: 3 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
My 12 year old is already talking about getting a pickup so he can haul his dirtbike around. He wants something that looks cool and would like a V8. They pay attention. He tells his friends about my granny Malibu, actually had a friend's dad call him an outright liar when he was saying what kind of power it makes and how fast it is. After I straighten out the trans I'm going to take that dude for a ride.

Reactions: 6 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Guys, Macro vs Micro. Just because 1 person does "A" doesn't mean they buck the trend.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor