what is the world coming to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it humorous when people describe 1978-1987('88 ) A-G body cars as muscle cars.
With the exception of the GN and the GNX,no factory G body ever had the horsepower or torque to ever be considered a muscle car.
Not to mention a crossover pipe to a single catalytic converter,then spread to two mufflers.That makes it a single exhaust split in two,not dual exhaust.
I love my Cutlass,but it's as far from being a muscle car as Paris Hilton is from being a virgin.Same with the SS,H/O,442,and GP 2+2.

there were a number of really crappy cars considered "muscle cars". but one thing that makes a car a muscle car is the ability to build it up. that the g-bodies have in spades. i'll pat myself on the back and say that my 400+hp monte qualifies as a muscle car. besides, considering the other cars out in the 80's, the monte ss, 442, and others were pretty fast.

megaladon6 said:
there were a number of really crappy cars considered "muscle cars". but one thing that makes a car a muscle car is the ability to build it up. that the g-bodies have in spades. i'll pat myself on the back and say that my 400+hp monte qualifies as a muscle car. besides, considering the other cars out in the 80's, the monte ss, 442, and others were pretty fast.

A muscle car has factory power.Your non stock 350 stroker SS may have a lot of power,but original horsepower for the factory 305 was around the 180 mark,tops.Not a factory muscle car by any stretch of the imagination.
I could take a Mustang II and build it to triple its factory horsepower.By your definition,that makes a Mustang II a muscle car.After all,it had a 302 V8.
All I'm saying is anything with a factory single exhaust and far less than 200 horse does not qualify as a muscle car.
A 1966 six cylinder Mustang is not a muscle car.
A 1969 225 slant six Dart is not a muscle car.
A 1986 307 442 is not a muscle car.
They can all be modified to become a "muscle car",but they were never one when built.

The car companies are themselves redefining the term muscle car.
Back in the day,nobody would consider a 4 door a muscle car.
Now we have Hemi Charger 4 doors,Impala SS,Magnum Hemi station wagons(I drove one.They FLY for a loaded wagon 🙂
Now we have 600 hp Vettes,Vipers,and Shelbys.
New Challengers,new Camaros.
Would be nice to have some cash........

But I digress.I stand by my opinion that G body GM cars are not muscle cars.
I still love 'em though.

A 1966 six cylinder Mustang is not a muscle car.
A 1969 225 slant six Dart is not a muscle car.

true, that's why i also stated that the g-bodies had power compared to the other cars of their time. when the first GTO or mustang came out they did not have a lot of power. but they were sportier and faster than most other cars.
but this arguement has already been hashed out in a specific thread for it so, no lo contendre.

megaladon6 said:
how many of those people who wonder why you're doing body work have a lowered honda with the front air dam ripped off or smashed?

i see that all the time around here and the idiots never learn. the new fad seems to be stock 14/15in steel rims and tires up front and 18in rims with rubber band tires in back. what the hell is the point of that?

this idiot i went to high school with put a body kit on his cavalier and he also had airbags, he went to pull into the autoshop and ripped his ground effects of because he did raise the car up

i dont have a real big problem wiht tuners i own one for a little turbo 4 cylinder it gets the car sideways easly around turnsi just would never bye a vehicle made by honda kids who drive them always thinks their fast when their v tech kicks in lmfao

my monte isnt the greatest looking car in the world but i never had one bad comment about my car but then again i live a couple miles away from were g bodys are real big i guess thats y its somewhat easy to go to a junk yard and find one

My only gripe with imports and the whole compact scene in general is the cars that are mechanically stock with thousands of dollars in useless body kits and heavy wheels. This is not all of the Honda Civic/ Nissan Sentra scene, just a very visible part of it. I have respect for someone who takes the time to properly science out one of these cars and make it work better. I have no respect for someone with a wing that makes a 1970 Plymouth Superbird look conservative by comparison. Many of the more serious people in the import scene would agree with me on that. I personally would drive a 1991-94 Sentra SE-R or a 92-95 Civic EX coupe with a 5 speed, and yes I would modify either of them. Not ricey, but better. For a Civic: a B16A2 swap with a lightweight flywheel, intake, header, QUIET exhaust and a 5 speed. Sentra: SR20VE swap with flywheel, intake ,etc. again. Either one would go with lightweight 10lb ea 15 in wheels, not 17 or 18 in 20+ lb wheels like the silly ricers use. No body kits, lowered but not slammed, etc. Basically, a fuel efficient comfortable commuter car with no illusions of it being very fast. Something in line with my practical but fun philosophy of car construction. (And yes, with these gas prices and my job delivering pizza, I am thinking about building something like that now.) Sorry to rant, but I hate to see everyone in a particular automotive group painted with a wide brush.

I find nothing wrong with imports, if they're done nicely. A buddy of mine has a two-door Accord. It's stock, it looks decent and that thing can move when it wants to. It's people that do this:

hondaricerao6.jpg

... and think that causes their car to be cooler and/or faster that irritate me.

the reason i hate tuners is in the pic you showed. that's all there is around here. they all look the same.
when they do try and make power mods they make the car slower. like when they put a vtec motor in a 92 civic. too bad they didn't get the vtec ECM.

megaladon6 said:
the reason i hate tuners is in the pic you showed. that's all there is around here. they all look the same.
when they do try and make power mods they make the car slower. like when they put a vtec motor in a 92 civic. too bad they didn't get the vtec ECM.

Heh. This might be the best example I've ever seen... I can't stop laughing:

www.chevycelebrity.com/misc/rice/

he forgot the VTEC and turbo stickers! how can you go fast without stickers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor