What radio do you have in your G-body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I have the same unit. Pioneer makes a ipbus to aux input adapter. Since you can get a Bluetooth to aux input piece, I combined the two and it now has a bluetooth input so I can stream via my phone. Total cost for adding bluetooth was around $20.

Cars not on the road, but I tested it and it works in the garage!

Thanks for that. Is there some attachment that you know of that provides something I could play a memory stick? And where did you plug in the aux input adapter?As I recall, some time back I looked for some sort of input receptacle on the front and rear of the unit but didn't see any. :confused:

Last edited:

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
:popcorn:

Putting this in right now in place of the stock GM-Delco 1.5 DIN EQ Cassette model. Gots to have bluetooth and digital . . . only problem is they ain't cheap. $399 But it looks like it belongs.

Retrosound.
View attachment 65406

While that looks cool, I have a feeling that's one of those bad pieces of Chinese electronics. I tried the similar 2 post version of something like that. Sounded decent, but the tuner was very weak. The only stations it got were the strongest of the strong. Which is boring and predictable. Kind of like the digital boomboxes they sell now.

Hi-Fi

Apprentice
Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for that. Is there some attachment that you know of that provides something I could play a memory stick? And where did you plug in the aux input adapter?As I recall, some time back I looked for some sort of input receptacle on the front and rear of the unit but didn't see any. :confused:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-IP-...rd-/111920002104?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

I believe that will work, but I have not tried it. Your car player is compatible with cd changers and that setup Imatates a changer.

On the back of the radio is the ipbus plug. My adapter takes the pioneer proprietary ipbus plug and converts it to the aux input. Pioneer made the adapters too, but they charged a lot more for them. Then I have a universal 12v Bluetooth receiver that outputs via a aux jack, which is plugged into my aux in/ipbus cable. Works pretty slick, it's all seemless. I just put the radio on auxiliary mode (screen displays Bluetooth) and my phone connects and plays the music through the car speakers.

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-IP-...rd-/111920002104?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

I believe that will work, but I have not tried it. Your car player is compatible with cd changers and that setup Imatates a changer.

On the back of the radio is the ipbus plug. My adapter takes the pioneer proprietary ipbus plug and converts it to the aux input. Pioneer made the adapters too, but they charged a lot more for them. Then I have a universal 12v Bluetooth receiver that outputs via a aux jack, which is plugged into my aux in/ipbus cable. Works pretty slick, it's all seemless. I just put the radio on auxiliary mode (screen displays Bluetooth) and my phone connects and plays the music through the car speakers.

Thanks for your effort to provide the information and the link. Yup, that seems to fit the bill for me -- the ability to play music off a USB stick. :)

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
While that looks cool, I have a feeling that's one of those bad pieces of Chinese electronics. I tried the similar 2 post version of something like that. Sounded decent, but the tuner was very weak. The only stations it got were the strongest of the strong. Which is boring and predictable. Kind of like the digital boomboxes they sell now.

As opposed to [what] all the other cheap overseas crap? I don't like it either but in the last 5 years I have had to tear 2 dashes apart AGAIN to replace a Kenwood and a Sony head that was horribly distorted or suddenly dead. And then, even during warranty, you get to look at a hole in your dash for sometimes a month before they actually send you the replacement. That said, I never did like the 1 DIN Sony look in my 442 so I know I will like this better.

I hope to actually have this in soon but it seems I've been in pretty soon mode on multiple fronts for over a year now so I'll believe it [in this case] when I "hear" it for myself. Beyond that, I did inquire both here and over on the Tacoma forum about these retro units before I spent the cash and both responders said they absolutely loved them, though one acknowledged what I already knew that they sadly do NOT have HD radio built in yet. But, since the HD signal is very hit and miss around where I live anyway, that wasn't a deal killer for me at least. Plus, when I am cruising [been so long I almost forgot what cruising was??] I will be listening to a 32GB stick of my "stuck in the 70s" Classic Rock in juke mode.

Agreed but It would look better if you could use the factory black and chrome rotary knobs. Have you tried to see if they fit?

The shaft sizes are different so the factory knobs won't fit but . . .

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/chrome-knob-sets?variant=7979728195

Plus there are 2 more pages of other knobs they offer that will fit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Old school baby takin ya way back bumpin the 8 track!
But do you have a matchbook wedged under the tape so it sounds good?

Reactions: 1 user

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
As opposed to [what] all the other cheap overseas crap? I don't like it either but in the last 5 years I have had to tear 2 dashes apart AGAIN to replace a Kenwood and a Sony head that was horribly distorted or suddenly dead. And then, even during warranty, you get to look at a hole in your dash for sometimes a month before they actually send you the replacement. That said, I never did like the 1 DIN Sony look in my 442 so I know I will like this better.

I hope to actually have this in soon but it seems I've been in pretty soon mode on multiple fronts for over a year now so I'll believe it [in this case] when I "hear" it for myself. Beyond that, I did inquire both here and over on the Tacoma forum about these retro units before I spent the cash and both responders said they absolutely loved them, though one acknowledged what I already knew that they sadly do NOT have HD radio built in yet. But, since the HD signal is very hit and miss around where I live anyway, that wasn't a deal killer for me at least. Plus, when I am cruising [been so long I almost forgot what cruising was??] I will be listening to a 32GB stick of my "stuck in the 70s" Classic Rock in juke mode.

The shaft sizes are different so the factory knobs won't fit but . . .

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/chrome-knob-sets?variant=7979728195

Plus there are 2 more pages of other knobs they offer that will fit.

Yeah if you listen to a USB stick or IPod or other I can see that being a great option. Where I live in Buffalo we're on the Canadian border so a good tuner will increase your stations by 3.5x's because you get everything out of Toronto and south. I listen to mostly rock music and Canada has the best stations. Plus our get many more sports networks therefore more games and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor