What Was/Is Your First Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenberg83

Apprentice
Apr 2, 2010
Charlotte, Michigan
first thing to daily drive was my dads 96 chevy 1500 ext cab with a smashed in front end, drivers side frame rail was smashed in 3 inches ran like a champ other than a transmission that was slippin

my first car that i can actually call mine is my 83 cutty.. was given that last november haven't been able to drive it :(

just bought what i call my actual first car cuz i paid for it on my own and i have actually driven it , bought it 2 months ago,
97 neon, white w/black hood 5-speed with 95k miles... paid $800 for it

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I've only owned 14 cars and trucks in the 46 years I've been driving.
1) 1955 " 210 " 6-stick ( as we called them back in the day ).
2) 1964 Corvair Monza 4 speed
3) 1961 4 dr. Impala 283 auto
4) 1965 2 dr. Biscayne 283 3 speed ( first new car )
5) 1964 El Camino 283 3speed
6) 1967 Camaro 350 SS conv. 4 speed ( 220 low gear )
7) 1971 Chevelle 350 auto
8) 1963 split window corvette 327/340H.P. 4speed
9) 1969 El Camino 350 4speed
10) 1974 Ford super cab 3/4 ton 360 auto
11) 1978 El Camino 305 auto
12) 1980 El Camino 229 3 speed ( still own it after 17 yrs. )
13) 1978 Grand Am 301 auto
14) 1993 Olds Cutlass conv. 3.4 d.o.h.c. auto
That's all folks! Later.

Crossbreed

Greasemonkey
Sep 16, 2009
1979 Camaro. Ugly *ss brown, with a straight six and an eight track.
If I knew then, what I know now.... I'd have kept that car, and saved a ton of money by never buying another car... EVER.
(sooo much cash wasted on cars and trucks I don't even own anymore)

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
My First Car I Got When I Was 15 Years Old For Christmas From My Family: 1994 Dodge Shadow ES, 4 Cyl 5 Speed. Loved The Car Was Very Cheap On Gas Plus It Was A Stick Shift! -- Sadly Burnt In My Drive Way In Nov 2007 After I Started Paying For My El Camino. Had To Buy A 1998 Chevy Malibu To Replace The Shadow While I Paid For My El Camino And Started To Restore It For My HS Graduation In 2008. Still Have My Elky And The Malibu.

prime

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2009
I had a 1981 cutlass that needed some work, that I was just ill prepared to do at the time. Getting my license had just brought me into the car scene, and having a project car was a bit of a romantic dream, even with no practical knowledge. I ended up getting rid of it, just because of all the gas the 305 ate up. Turned into a good experience though, because my next car was a stick, and that was entirely self taught. I'm sure I do bad things to the clutch sometimes.

CarProfile1.jpg

I actually liked the exterior more without the moulding, if I get another cutlass I'll probably pull all the moulding off, grind the screws off, sand it down and paint it like that. For some reason, in my eye's, the moulding on the cutlass just looks kind of broken up. I like the way it is without it.

That is an actual picture of my old car btw, wish I still had it.

At the moment, I'm actually tempted to buy another one and do a manual swap on it, turn it into a drifting tank. If fact, if anyone has any information about five speed transmissions that'll bolt up, feel free to send it my way. Suggestions for a good drifter setup would be welcome to, I'd need to relocate the parking brake pedal to an e-brake setup. It's all good, I'm not to shabby at welding so I could fab a center console to fit around this stuff.

Oh also, does anyone know any site that sells cutlass speedometers and such?

Finley

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 15, 2010
in order...
1984 dodge aries. 2 door w/ tan paint/brown vinyl half-top. what a turd. 200 dollars and so slow that it couldnt pass a herd of turtles doing the moonwalk. sold it and added 500 bucks to get:
1984 crown vic homogolation. was upgraded with 351 from a police cruiser from a cop auction and several other police car goodies before i bought it. ran like nobodies business. when it died i got:
1987 mercury sable wagon. loved it. comfortable, gadgets galore, was given to step brother and then got:
1979 el camino. had it one day before it was repossessed by my stepfather. then:
1984 gmc vandura 2500. 350. 4 captains chairs in the front, sliding side door, rear door windows, no side windows. shaggin wagon. transmission siezed on the highway doing 70, kept it on the road, but had no resources to repair it, sold it for parts and got:
1981 cutlass supreme. beautiful perfect maroon/gold interior. bought it with 67,*** original miles on it for 500 bucks. primered. no dash cracks, original radio was still in it. totally unmolested. unfortunately that also meant it had not really been driven, and was a nightmare to keep repaired and on the road. damned 231. blew a head gasket, had to limp it home and parked it. sold it months later after finding a replacement. at the time i had no room to store it, so against my better judgement i sold it 2 years later with 110,*** miles. i drove the hell out of it. sold it for:
1992 nissan stanza. believe it or not, a really comfortable, nice running car. had the 5 speed, ka24e motor. had ti for 3 or so years, in the process my wife got a 1991 chrysler imperial. not a bad car, just not my style.
had them both until the chrysler became too expensive to maintain. sold the chrysler and got a 2000 civic. wife didnt like it, so she inherited the nissan and i took the civic. bought the civic with 27000 miles on it in 2002, and just now has 97,*** miles today. knock on wood, its been a strong runner. the stanza bit the dust after some neglect from firestone years ago, and in 95 my wife bought a kia spectra. shes still driving it today, and it looks like it has twice the miles that my civic has.
now im saving money, and biding my time until i find another cutlass for a project car.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
prime said:
turn it into a drifting tank. If fact, if anyone has any information about five speed transmissions that'll bolt up, feel free to send it my way. Suggestions for a good drifter setup would be welcome to

I like the idea and have contemplated it my self because what's better than a cutlass that will drift circles around any ricer. Sadly though simply these cars aren't made to slide that excessively. The sway bars will give out and eventually break and more parts will go. The amount of work to make it even go side ways on dry pavement and hold a text book drift is just not worth it. Not to mention the size and weight of these cars compared to the more desirable A86 and mazda Rx7s theses simple no competition the small more agile cars would out drift a G body n it would be more of a waste IMO to make a cutlass or any g body into a drifter no matter how much I would love to do. Im not saying G bodies are un able to drift because they certainly can depending on the road conditions and the duration and style of drifts you are going for but for a drift only you'd pay heavy bank that you could use to buy a much more drift worthy car

also my first car was an Black 88 Cutlass suprem and i only paid $300 for that and a parts 80 cutlass ( maybe fixin up) but the 88 sadly was out on the back burner when i found a runnig 84 :D

Attachments

• 31760_1409823719989_1064348573_31201674_3305241_n.jpg
    31760_1409823719989_1064348573_31201674_3305241_n.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 971

ms350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 21, 2010
1985 El Camino- $500 when I was 14. A friend of my dad's passed away and his wife wanted $500 for it so I thought it would make a nice project car. She has been in storage for a while, a long-term project, but one day she will be a showcar.

86CutlassSupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 7, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
First Car was a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera handed down from my grandfather when he passed away. Like this one but with a custom metallic navy blue paint job:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/1886280580.html

First car I ever bought was a 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Brougham for $500. Sent it to the scrapyard after figuring out
just how rotted everything was underneath. She ran beautifully but was a deathtrap. Pretty much just like this one:
http://www.soyroy.com/auction_olds.htm

First car I bought and was able to get on the road legally was a 1992 Cadillac Deville for $1600 cert/etested, pretty much identical to the one below:

http://lasvegas.olx.com/1992-cadillac-s ... id-2102992

And the current baby is a 1986 Cutlass 4 door sedan. $1770 Cert. and ready to go. For pictures of this one just check out my gallery

gbodydude

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2008
my first car was a rusted up 87'monte carlo ss.i used to peel out every day in it.even beat my friends 5.0 rustang.the monte had a 350 with 202 heads,a 480 lift cam etc.the trany was a turbo 350 with the shift kit and a vega converter.i give a broken dirt bike for it.i end up stripping the car and save most of the parts for another monte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor