What was your 1st car? & and 1st G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyhunter89

Greasemonkey
Jul 27, 2007
KY
first car is a 1977 Camaro. first g-body was a 78 malibu dr classic

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
I've been blessed to be the son of a very talented father when it comes to cars. Technically, my first car was going to be a 69 Buick skylark (GS clone) convertible. Red on red with a black rag and a 455 to boot.(not original to the car) We picked it up when I was 14 and slowly put a lot of love into it. The body came out gorgeous on it, but it still had flaws. The frame was getting weak in the back, needed a new top, interior needed some freshening up. What do you expect from a 40 year old driver, right? Well, about a year later my uncle, the owner of 18 years of a 86 GP 2+2 declared he was getting rid of it, and it was destined for the scrap yard. I remembered driving in this car alot in my childhood and my dads 81 Regal w/ a 350 and had a love for what I later found to be G-bodies at an early age. I knew a little bit about the 2+2 and decided I couldn't let it goto the scrapper, and I was the only one to save it from destiny. Alot of people told me I was crazy, letting the skylark go for this new rusty hulk. And that it was. My father says to this day he would have never brought this car back to life had I not desired it with such passion. A set of frame rails, a crate motor, custom colors decals, and a whole lot of headaches(I mean ALOT) and school money later, I've got a nice driver that draws attention wherever it goes. I graduate college in april, so if it all plays out ill have a stoutly built 200R4 and an 8.5 w/ 3.73s to go with it. A student budget is currently a huge drawback for the attention this car deserves. But it is still on the road with an odometer that has been rolled over 3 times. I don't think I'll ever part with it and look forward to re-building it again one day with a son of my own.
IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
cdg1984 said:
Were the 80s bel-air's canadas version of the malibu??...kinda like the pontiac bonneville vs. the parasinne

Could be. There's the odd Malibu sedan from the 80's around here so I think it may be just a wagon thing. Couldn't find a lot of reading about it.

87SS383

Apprentice
Jan 15, 2010
Re: What was your 1st car? & and 1st G-Body?
by Bitchin'-Buick on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:12 am

first car was a G-Body..... 79'Cutluss Supreme >>>>>Bench seats really came in handy during high school years

I feel Ya! My 86 Regal was DEFINATELY my "base of operations" in HS.

Attachments

• REGAL.jpg
    REGAL.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,055

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
IMG_0195.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
That's a SWEET lookin ride. Anyways, my first car at 16 years old was a 1981 Buick Regal, 3.8L 54K miles. Slow as hell, exactly what the parents thought was safe, didn't keep me out of trouble though. I used to drag race it, and for some reason it would only run 21 seconds in the 1/4 mile, how embarrassing... I worked with it just tuning up and emptying the converter etc. and with just about no money in it, just tuning, I got it down to 19.3 seconds.... still horrible. :rofl:

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
First car at 16 was a Triumph TR3, fun and fast, but had to borrow my brother's 64 Galaxie wagon for dates unti I finally got me a van :D .

My first official G body is the one I have now, an 81 Malibu wagon that I bought last September, but in 1978 I got a new Olds Cutlass wagon as a company vehicle and drove it for a couple of years as a computer field tech. It had a nice interior, very comfortable, but had that crappy little V8 (267 or something like that?). It seemed like I had to put it to the floor any time I needed to accelerate.

DJLATIN

Apprentice
Mar 1, 2009
La Porte, TX
1st car was 1967 chevelle
1st g-body was a 1982 regal w/ bucket seats & center console

81elcamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2009
illinois
mine was actually my sisters first car which was an 81 elco. she gave it to me when i was 15 and said the engine locked up, later i found out she didnt give it an oil change for two years. now its my street/strip car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor