What welder for some one just starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
This said it is the place for all the welded to hang out. So I was looking for some input. I m finally getting a garage after all these years, and I want my 1st big purchase to b a welder. I want to b able to do sheet metal and also do heavier stuff like boxing the frame(eventually notch it) so I was wondering what's the best for a beginner that want to grow there skill. Mig, tig, something that can eventually do both. Is ok to buy used?(what to look 4 as far as wear and tear if u do). Don't know price range I'll be able to afford yet. Lastly what's the best way to practice. I figured get a pile of scrap different gauges, and just start practicing.(how do u tell a good weld from a bad structurely speaking. I know that's a lot of questions but any input would be great. The most important to me is get the right tool

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
I bought a 180 lincoln MIG-Pak welder. Does both Mig and flux core. I haven't used it much myself as its still pretty new to me, but my needs were similar to yours and it was universally recommended. It has a very wide working range, can do thin autobody sheet metal all the way up to 1/2" mild steel. Can also add on parts to weld aluminum. Miller also makes a 180 mig-pak, very similar, both will work great.

Depending on sales and location it would probably hold a 650-850 price tag.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I just bought this as a christmas present to myself. http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175 ... l-gun.html I have yet to use it but from the reviews Ive read it seems to be a good one. I have used Eastwood products and they are very good quality.

I also bought a 3.7hp 60 Gallon Compressor at the same time....The wife said no matter what anyone buys you for christmas, you bought yourself a better present.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I found a little Lincoln Weld Pak 100 At a pawn shop here in Phoenix for $200 It had flux core in it.
I spent the $130 to get the Gas conversion kit it works much better now than with the Flux core.
Got a cheap cart for it from harbor freight.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,093

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
recommondation would be buy a quality machine I personally love Miller. I have a Mig Millermatic 210 and a Tig Diversion 165. I would also say get the biggest you can afford that way, as your skills and needs grow, you wont be stuck needing more. Thats what im running into with my tig.
As far as other brands, you cant go wrong with lincoln, Esab, Thermal Arc, or even Hobart. YOu can get some good deals used from people that barely even touched their units. Depending one what you wanna do, I would start with a mig welder. Its cheaper and faster than tig. But for more precision, qaulity, and the ability to do more exotic metals, you need a tig.
I would start with some how to books and videos. There are some pretty skilled guys on youtube showing how they do it. Believe it or not, I learned the basics to tig aluminum on youtube but nothing takes the place of practicing. Thats how Ive learned the most.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
x2 get a Mig i have a Hobart mig,and a stick welder.i was a welder for 12 years doing fab work. it is an art. just get some metal and play it takes time.but keep at it you should pick it up. now i am a pipe fitter.

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
tc1959 said:
Got a cheap cart for it from harbor freight.
x2 - This is just me, but that's what I did - got a stick HF one off of craigslist for $40...not great, but I figured until I get better at it or more comfortable, there's no point in investing good money (ie several hundred to a thousand dollars) for a tool I can barely use or know how to use. Miller and Lincoln seem to be some of the best.....keep in mind, you get what you pay for, but I think a HF one'd be your best bet for a first one - you can get a flux core MIG welder for cheap w/coupons. Otherswise, I'd look on craigslist or at pawn shops or second hand stores (if they sell them). BTW where at in Indiana are you?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would say buy a good quality name brand welder from the start that will cover the range of your future welding plans.
I have a Lincoln Mig and a Miller Plasma cutter I bought them both 13 years ago and I would say these are two of the top brands but I think there are many quality affordable migs from Hobart and Eastwood to name a few.
I bought my Lincoln based on what I planned to use it for which was sheet metal to frame,roll cage work to 3/8' plate for jigs etc. also I needed one that would work off the 220 in my garage.
A good welder can last you a lifetime and the top brands will always have the support down the road if you need repair and consumables are more plentifull even Sears sells tips,electrodes etc that work on Miller and Lincoln under the Craftsman name.
I would avoid Harbor Freight for welders or any off brand that is similar you do get what you pay for.
I have a buddy who bought a HF plasma cutter because it was cheap and but when it came time to replace electrodes and tips he found no local welding supply stores carry them and they are an odd design.

86judge

Greasemonkey
Dec 27, 2012
Indiana
To answer frankncar I'm about 2 hours south of Indy. I live close to the gambling boats in lawrenceburg if you know where those are.
To every1 else thanks for the info. I figured I should look at it as an invest, and not completely cheap out. I buy tools from harbor freight occasionally, but not for the big stuff. I dont know about over a thousand, but the 6 to 800 range sounds doable especialy if you can build on them. I am the type to learn by doing not reading, but I'd say most of us on here are. That's why we turn into gear heads."if its broke fix it. if its not, break it so you can fix it" lol. I never thought about looking up techniques on YouTube tho. I've had buddy's over the years that's support to teach me, but if you wait on some1 else you car will always be a pile of parts.thanks again for you time and info

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Stick with a industry name. Get a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. Those three are all good mfg with very good vendor support and universally available parts and supplies. As a beginner get a Mig that is in 165 to 250 power range. I also would make sure it has the gas setup or can be upgraded to shielding gas setup. Flux core is fine for simple repair work around the shop/house/farm, but for any work on a car gas is the way to go. Flux core is always dirty and requires lots of cleanup work after the weld. Mig is the way to start out if you are doing repair work on used steel or less than perfectly clean steel. Tig requires more skill and is not for rusty, corroded, or otherwise contaminated steel. Once you get good with a Mig picking up a Tig is not as tough. Many Community Colleges have a welding course that runs 6-8wks and usually is night school and the course is reasonable. Best way to learn is start with thick steel and just practice running a bead and getting good penetration. Once you can run a good SOLID weld move down in thicknesses learning how power level and speed of feed affect the quality and penetration of the weld. Used welders are fine and many times a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor