Where is the new blood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
For the last 12 years I've worked on this 95 GTI. The few times I wanted to be part a muscle/vintage car cruise I was hassled by the gate keepers. My issue is, with being 67 I don't fit into the 'tuner' crowd where some of the kids are old enough be my grandchild. I went to many VW shows 4 to 12 years ago but my car, being mostly original, had a tendency to be ignored because it didn't scrape, had no fancy rims and lacked the proper amount of camber. The Gti which I'm trying to sell is quite a bit faster and handles way better when compared to what I take to cruises now!( as of late August 2016.) I'm showing my age but the music of the muscle/vintage car crowd is more my style than the electronic stuff the kids listen to now. -me, yelling at clouds again.
You have one beautiful mk3 sir happy to find another vw friend in the mix. I own a mk3 aswell they are just lovely tank like cars and the vr6 just purs like a kitten. You are never to old to giggle. Also beautiful Monte

Reactions: 1 user

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I am only 19, and I own my 84 Cutlass Supreme, as well as the '66 Toronado I just purchased as a project for $800, all with Olds power. At most of the car cruises I go to around Pittsburgh there are a decent amount of younger people who are interested in older cars. However, there are many young people who drive around in these stupid Hondas and Scions that are barely legal. One car in particular has the exhaust sticking out the back of the car about 10 inches past the bumper, plus a 13 degree cambering kit. I can't see how that could possibly be seen as cool, and I can't imagine that it handles decently at all. The 4-cylinder engine sounds like it is about to just fall out of the car because of the rattle can that is welded to the exhaust. Why can't young people drive REAL cars?

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I am only 19, and I own my 84 Cutlass Supreme, as well as the '66 Toronado I just purchased as a project for $800, all with Olds power. At most of the car cruises I go to around Pittsburgh there are a decent amount of younger people who are interested in older cars. However, there are many young people who drive around in these stupid Hondas and Scions that are barely legal. One car in particular has the exhaust sticking out the back of the car about 10 inches past the bumper, plus a 13 degree cambering kit. I can't see how that could possibly be seen as cool, and I can't imagine that it handles decently at all. The 4-cylinder engine sounds like it is about to just fall out of the car because of the rattle can that is welded to the exhaust. Why can't young people drive REAL cars?

gbodysupreme.... Glad to here about your Oldsmobiles, and about the youth participation in your area. The car you mention with the long exhaust tip and "rattle"... it may not be your slice of pie, but it sure is that guy's slice of pie. He obviously loves his car... his way. Instead of writing it off as a "Stupid Honda", spend the time to talk to him. It may be all he has! He may need help with that "rattle". Learn his story...share your story. Don't write the guy off just because you don't like what he's got. His dad may have a Hurst Olds in his garage! Car guys are the best people around! No matter what their style is. Hold yourself to a higher standard! Don't judge.

Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I've been (very)guilty of slamming other peoples taste in cars and car modification. What unites car people is that your car is more than just a transportation device - it reflects what you like, your taste and individuality and what your budget and skills allow. It can be as simple as stickers and fancy wheels.

• Agree

cincy86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2016
Im 18 and see this firsthand. Whenever i go to shows, im the only one of my generation. Most kids just want to sit on the internet and do things that dont matter, and those that are into cars are into junk (civics, celicas, jettas). its a problem

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Hey cincy86...wouldn't you agree if a young person is into any kind of a car hobby that's a good thing - does it matter if it's an import or US Muscle? Way back when, the reason the muscle cars became popular was they were easy and cheap to 'hop up' very much like the imports now are. Each of those 'ricer' kids is a potential US Muscle Car owner. Look at the 'Box' Chevys - who would have thought they would become popular with the big wheel crowd. As you have seen with the 'box' bodies it's not all about the looks - some of their engine and interior work is impressive.

I started with VW's in the 70's, then in the 80's it was American V8's, in the 2000's it was VW again and now it's US V8 again.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

gbodysupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 26, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't think that it is a problem that the younger generation is into cars like hondas, but some of that crowd has absolutely no appreciation for anything that has a V8. These are the same kids who refer to younger people who like muscle cars as "old men."

• Agree

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
[QUOTE="gbodysuprem These are the same kids who refer to younger people who like muscle cars as "old men."[/QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that remark.
Out on the streets I get compliments from the older guys....some telling me to let it rip.
Away from the VW shows I rarely received compliments, on the street, on my GTI.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Hey guys, really enjoying this thread. I go to a cruise once a month with my neighbor. It is a 79 and older show only. I drove my 81 Malibu down there once...they wouldn't allow me on the lot. Most the cars are 50's, 60's, and 70's muscle cars. There also are a fair amount of earlier cars. My neighbor is always saying who is going to want these cars in 20 years. He says look around ..just old men everywhere. Do kids even know about these cars? Or much less care? I counter with, these cars will be passed on just like today. Bought and sold just like always. It's kind of funny though, we both own muscle cars and it seems like most the owners of these cars are older..btw I'm 56 and he is 58. You know when I see that in writing , I'm thinking I may be an old man...timo22

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I . But the North American muscle crowd has a hard time accepting that a modern 4 cylinder or 6 can put more horsepower to the pavement than say a 427 from 1968.
Dave

HP has nothing over torque....and where will those fart machines be in 30 years

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor