Which brand door seal fits best ? 87 regal lmtd

87gbodydanny

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2023
Las Vegas
Wondering what brand you guys used and if any good ? I need some new ones don’t know which ones to purchase? Help

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 54

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
NOS gm if you've got the pocketbook for it

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Most aftermarket roof rail seals fit ok. However, with the lower door seals only NOS fits right.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Website for nos?
Ebay? Facebook? Hemming? Craigslist? Swap meets?

By its definition you're hunting for leftover parts, certainly pre-gm bankruptcy, and, likely a few years older than that.

The newest-produced GM weatherstip of the 80s era I've bought was for my 85 firebird, and it was produced in the early 2000s. I'd imagine the g-body stuff having ceased production a good 5 years earlier would've also had an earlier final run than that.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Keep in mind, 81-88 G47 Olds Cutlass 2-door and Regal 2 door cars use the same part number door seals. 20201221 for LH and 20201220 for RH. 78-88 all used the same roof rail, 20737659 for LH, and 20737658 for RH and T-top seals, 20211821 for LH, and 20211820 for RH.

Nothing fits and acts like the GM parts. Most aftermarket seals are too firm. While that's a good thing for some seals, it's a bad thing for others, like door and windows. Someone could clean up if they made them the same way GM seals were made.

I cannot be sure of this, but I believe that the aftermarket companies copied a monte carlo or something for the rear top section of the door seals for Regal/Cutlass. They never did fit correctly. Never. Not sure if they ever got the message to fix that. Well, they did get the message, but not sure if they actually did anything. Plus, again, most are too firm necessitating a door slam to get the door to close.

GM started dropping seals about 20 years ago. By 2007 or so, they were pretty much all gone from their inventories. Only way to find them is third party now, like the aforementioned ebay, facebook, swap meets, etc.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
One of the big issues is that thd original GM lower seals had plastic reinforcing plates molded into the endpads to prevent ripping. None of the aftermarket sesls have molded in reinforcement plates due to being lower quality. Even back when GM weatherstripping was still in production it was usually double the price of aftermarket weatherstripping.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
One of the big issues is that thd original GM lower seals had plastic reinforcing plates molded into thd endpads tomprevent ripping. None of the aftermarket sesls have molded in reinforcement plates dud to being lower quality. Even when back GM weatherstripping was still in production it was usually double the price of aftermarket weatherstripping.
THIS. But the double price is worth it in the long run. 4 years from now when your doors are still closing nicely and sealing well, you'll forget about the cost.

• Agree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
THIS. But the double price is worth it in the long run. 4 years from now when your doors are still closing nicely and sealing well, you'll forget about the cost.

Quality often isn't cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor