Which is better, X pipe or H pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I like them. They are quiet enough for a daily driver, but get louder when you get on it. Here's the video. I did a thread last winter on the difference between the Hpipe and the xpipe, but can't find the Hpipe video.

Reactions: 1 users

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
I like them. They are quiet enough for a daily driver, but get louder when you get on it. Here's the video. I did a thread last winter on the difference between the Hpipe and the xpipe, but can't find the Hpipe video.

Those Sound great! thanks

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY

Sounds like Ill be buying these..... thank you!

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Your welcome!

If you notice, I did have to reverse the mufflers and slightly tilt them to keep them off the front control arm bolts and the driveshaft, but can't complain for the price.

Reactions: 1 user

GreenRegal87

Apprentice
Nov 9, 2016
Plattsburgh, NY
Is it possible to run the pipes with the stock trans crossmember, or is the double hump crossmember absolutely required?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've seen the driver's side pipe routed under the crossmember but I wouldn't do it on my car. It hangs down too low and looks bad in my opinion. You could do the dual system behind the converter, like the 442's had and keep the stock crossmember. You could also possibly modify the stock crossmember. Mine was modified but seemed pretty week to me. You could grab the tailshaft of the transmission and make the power team bounce up and down (flex in the crossmember).

• Informative

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Mr Green 87 & all; Last year I did a new system from the header flanges to the tail pipe tips. I had run an off angle H pipe since 91 (?) with 50 series Flow Masters. I came across a video form one of the major exhaust system manufacture's. But don't remember witch one, maybe Magna Flow (?), their engineer put together 29 minutes of info. You young tech guys should be able to find it? Anyway I'll try to summarizer what I can remember. An "H" pipe reduces tone & adds about 1% to 3% additional torque below 3000 RPM. An "X" pipe helps through the entire RPM band with an additional 2% to 4% torque increase over separate or true duals. What got me started on this new learning quest was my old 304 stainless system was bent on a muffler hop bender & had a bunch of kinks, my hangers & mufflers were mild steel, it look like brown soft smelly stuff. But what really got my attention was the explanation of muffler types. Disrupted flow, in other words Flow Master kill Horse Power & are loud, they disrupt the flow period. Straight through design with perforations actually disrupt flow very little at high volumes (RPM), hence more HP. Plus they are quite in relation to Larger HEAVER disrupted flow designs. And they come in 304L stainless, Borla's, I'm a convert.

Reactions: 2 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Mr Green 87 & all; Last year I did a new system from the header flanges to the tail pipe tips. I had run an off angle H pipe since 91 (?) with 50 series Flow Masters. I came across a video form one of the major exhaust system manufacture's. But don't remember witch one, maybe Magna Flow (?), their engineer put together 29 minutes of info. You young tech guys should be able to find it? Anyway I'll try to summarizer what I can remember. An "H" pipe reduces tone & adds about 1% to 3% additional torque below 3000 RPM. An "X" pipe helps through the entire RPM band with an additional 2% to 4% torque increase over separate or true duals. What got me started on this new learning quest was my old 304 stainless system was bent on a muffler hop bender & had a bunch of kinks, my hangers & mufflers were mild steel, it look like brown soft smelly stuff. But what really got my attention was the explanation of muffler types. Disrupted flow, in other words Flow Master kill Horse Power & are loud, they disrupt the flow period. Straight through design with perforations actually disrupt flow very little at high volumes (RPM), hence more HP. Plus they are quite in relation to Larger HEAVER disrupted flow designs. And they come in 304L stainless, Borla's, I'm a convert.

Dam you learn something new everyday

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Years ago, I modified my stock crossmember for duals. Last winter, I ran across a GForce on Craigslist, and replaced it. It's much better! Not sure about the jegs crosmembers, they might be ok also.

• Agree

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
I've tried both on my el caminoes. H gives a more muscle'y sound. X is more raspy. Thats not just an opinion. The x is more highpitched in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor