windage trays and crank scrapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
what is the benefit of eather and is it worth the time and money with a stock oil pan?

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Windage trays keep the oil from splashing onto your crank and the scraper *peels* the oil off the crank to keep it from whipping around. The scraper is hand fitted to each engine and filed to about .030" of the crank throws.

If your engine spends alot of time in the upper rpm ranges they''ll probably give you a few HP. If it's a daily driver and hardly ever sees life past 5000 rpm, I wouldn't worry about them.

Pan baffles will do more good than anything. They keep the oil from sloshing around in the pan and keeps the pickup covered in oil. Even street driving can case the pickup to become uncovered and temporarily starve your engine of oil. You can buy fairly cheap oil pans with baffles that will help more than anything.

Even a long sweeping curve on the highway can force the oil far enough away from the pickup to starve the pump. If there's no baffles in the pan, the oil just climbs the side of the pan wall and it's like not having any oil at all.

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
beermonkey9417 said:
what is the benefit of eather and is it worth the time and money with a stock oil pan?

Last time I checked they still weren't that expensive. If your building an engine it can't hurt to spend a little extra time and money to put in a windage tray and definitely a pan with baffles. The scraper though, that's really getting picky. I wouldn't worry about needing a scraper unless you were trying to squeeze every last drop of power out of your engine. I was lucky enough that on the Pontiac engine it came stock with the oil pan baffle, and I'm pretty sure the windage tray was factory. When I rebuilt the engine those parts were already there.

JOE

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
ok, so windage tray and a baffled pan. is there inserts for stock pans baffle wise, or am i stuck buying a new one?

gto78

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2010
Port St Lucie, Florida
Check with summit or jegs, but probably just replace the whole pan. I'm betting there are a few factory engines with baffles already built in, like Pontiac does. Even if they sell a baffle, sounds like a bad idea to have a possible loose part in the oil pan, unless you weld it in place.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
From my research on this, most don't bother with a crank scraper as it really hasn't proved to do as much as a windage tray.

Now a proper windage tray with a diamond mesh screen will help strip oil from the crankshaft and get it back to the pan quicker where it needs to be.

On my 455 I didn't bother with a windage tray but the crankshaft I bought had the counterweights knife edged which is also supposed to help with the crank "cutting" through the oil. That along with the road race oil pan will help quite a bit.

It also depends on what your going to do with the car. Obviously the best oiling system out there would be a dry sump system but your talking major $$$$ to do one of those.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
FE3X CLONE said:
From my research on this, most don't bother with a crank scraper as it doesn't really hasn't proved to do as much as a windage tray.

wuuuuut? :wtf:

so a proper mesh windage tray will help as well as a baffled pan. ok sweet. sorry i had to bust yer balls ther a lil :lol:

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
If this is for the 307 listed in your sig, as in a 2 pc rms block with driver side dipstick, then the old Z/28 oil pan (and matching pickup) is one of the best pans you can go with on a budget.

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-performance-parts/360450 <----- oil pan
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-performance-parts/3927136 <-------- windage tray
http://sdparts.com/details/gm-factory-r ... ts/3855152 <------------ oil pump pickup

This pan is $99.95 at Scoggin Dickey Parts (and $105.95 at Summit). If you have a newer block, then this pan won't work. There is also a windage tray designed for this pan.

GM designed these for the Z/28 302 engine and are some of the best designs for that style engine. The Z/28 Camaro was designed and built with road racing in mind, not just drag racing. Acceleration, braking, and turning.

You can get better pans for all-out racing but you'll be hard pressed to find a better pan system for the cost of these. For a street car, this will be more than adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor