Working on the wagon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Yeah, I dig the black one too. If it doesn't sell, it might be my winter project. It's a 1980 and has a few things that could be addressed. It's not practical, but it runs so well and looks pretty cool. I won't be sad if it stays around another season or two!

Sorry bout muddying up your thread with those pics. I probably should have left the mask on while cleaning out the paint gun last night.:p

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, I dig the black one too. If it doesn't sell, it might be my winter project. It's a 1980 and has a few things that could be addressed. It's not practical, but it runs so well and looks pretty cool. I won't be sad if it stays around another season or two!

Sorry bout muddying up your thread with those pics. I probably should have left the mask on while cleaning out the paint gun last night.:p
No problem about "muddying" up my thread. It's good to have you back...even if you were overcome by the fumes...;) Yeah, that black one is a cool boat. What's it powered by? It absolutely would look great towed by your wagon.

dirtywhiteboy

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2009
Mount Solon, VA
Yeah, that black one is a cool boat. What's it powered by? It absolutely would look great towed by your wagon.

It is a 1992 or 93 Mercury 150 hp 2 stroke

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey Jack... looking thru your pics and admiring your car again and I have a few questions for you and anyone else that has been thru wagon restorations. the wing removal, are there hinges that don't have the towers for the wing or did you grind and fill them, as I am debating on removing mine. The back 1/4 glass, I have read that there are no replacement rubbers for them but there is talk about older metal trim?? mine are in terrible shape and leak a little bit in the back corners. I am looking to find door seals and have heard that metro seals are the ones to get??

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey buddy, how are you? Your car is looking great... I dig it!.
As far as replacing the rear wing, or deflector, you'll need non-deflector hinges...or at least the top portion of the hinge. I've never tried to modify, or grind down the standoffs. Even if you can find a pair of non-deflector hinges that have rusted out mounting plates, you can drive the pins out and discard the rusty plates and swap them with yours, if they're in better shape.
In other words, you can mix and match parts. I'll have to take a pic or two to show you what i mean. There's nothing to it.

Unfortunately, the back 1/4 glass trim is NLA. I tried doing a search for that part # and nothing came up. Your best bet is to find the earlier aluminum trim from a '78-'80 wagon, and add your own clip/ studs...in which a screw on type is available. I'll get you a link to those.

I used the Metro seals on my car, and I like them. I think they fit and seal well. I recommend them.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a cpl spare sets of hinges laying around so I might see what it takes to modify them, but I will search for no wing hinges in the mean time.... I am thinking it would be sweet to find a non defog rear glass too, and get rid of the electrical grid on the glass.

I stumbled across an 81 cutlass wagon for cheap and was in very decent shape and came with a bunch of spare parts including power window doors and power vent windows, rear gate, and some trim pieces. Had the car for 2 weeks and someone caught up to me and bought it, but I kept the parts

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sure, if you have some crummy looking pitted hinges laying around, you can sacrifice one. You might very well be able to cut the towers, or standoffs off, and grind and file them into shape. I'm sure with a little All-metal filler, it would finish off nicely. If they're in good shape, and the chrome is nice, maybe you could trade them for a set of the non-deflector type hinges rather than sacrificing them.

That's cool that you were able to pick up the Cutlass Cruiser and keep the extra parts. One of our fellow members happens to be looking for a Cutlass Cruiser body/ roller to transplant his engine and parts into. Transporting it cross country might get a little expensive, though.

As for the non-heated rear hatch window, those are the only type that I've run across. I guess they're more common up north. I've never seen them down here.

. In the event that you find a set of the aluminum 1/4 window trim...here's a link to the clip fasteners that I was talking about http://www.autofastco.net/catalog/item/7780351/8718304.htm

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I am going from flat to wing hinges. I have both already, grabbed them during the cash for clunkers era (should have also grabbed the wing windows - doh!). If you can hang in there, mine are nice and shiny! One is 9/10. the other is 8/10. They are yours for free plus postage if you can afford to be patient. The gate latch is frozen, so I have to unbolt the latch from the glass, lift the window, then climb inside and try to pry the side latches open from the inside to drop the gate. Then I can get the inner panel off and see what broke. I am on the lookout for a non-crusty inner plastic tailgate panel (any color)....
I also want to delete the roof rack, but I'm not ready to drop the headliner to weld up the holes...

Attachments

• DSCN5885.JPG
    DSCN5885.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN5886.JPG
    DSCN5886.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
  • Winner

finkous

Greasemonkey
Sep 3, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
sure I can wait... especially when I have never seen a set up here haha... if you have a non defog glass I'd be interested in that too as all of the windows up here have the rear defogger. I just took off my roof rack but I wasn't gonna weld up the holes, just make a small indent and use metal patch glue (fusor or duramix), save on the removal of headliner or chance of fire, and less chance of warping the panel... but I am also planning on the full roll back canvas sunroof.

I'll take a look at the 2 inner panels I have and see how bad they are and let ya know, 1 is blue and the other is tan

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor