1973 Chevy Parts Hauler

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
sounds great and column looks good fr a quickie refresh!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
That ignition switch looks familiar - replaced it in my 73 GMC that I owned 86 to 93(?). They truly were Like a Rock - a 4800 lb rock

Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Well you can't just throw a crummy looking steering wheel back on the refreshed column and I've had a cold for a couple days so just a quick and easy project. The original steering wheel was that GM, sitting in the sun sticky but I had washed it down with lacquer thinner and then refreshed it with a creme protectant but the center cap/emblem needed some love.

Old and busted

Refreshed hotness, well just a lot better anyway.

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Well you can't just throw a crummy looking steering wheel back on the refreshed column and I've had a cold for a couple days so just a quick and easy project. The original steering wheel was that GM, sitting in the sun sticky but I had washed it down with lacquer thinner and then refreshed it with a creme protectant but the center cap/emblem needed some love.

Old and busted

Refreshed hotness, well just a lot better anyway.

Did the thinner completely take the sticky away ? Or was it when you put on sealer ?

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Did the thinner completely take the sticky away ? Or was it when you put on sealer ?

The thinner on a microfiber rag after two times took away most of the sticky but not all, the creme leather protectant absorbed into the wheel and took away the rest of it. I applied a very liberal globbing of it and let it sit overnight, removed the excess maybe 24-36 hours later.

Reactions: 3 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Ok thx for the info , that is a very common problem on 70,s gm vehicle,s . Good to know a fix !

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Forgot to add, finally picked up new tires! Just need to paint the wheels first and get them mounted up. I also pickled up a quart of single stage for touch up to paint the inside of the front fenders and dash once I weld all the extra holes up.

Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The thinner on a microfiber rag after two times took away most of the sticky but not all, the creme leather protectant absorbed into the wheel and took away the rest of it. I applied a very liberal globbing of it and let it sit overnight, removed the excess maybe 24-36 hours later.

Link to or name of protectant used? Have a sticky wheel in the coupe

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor