1973 Chevy Parts Hauler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Awesome work!

How do you keep track of what goes where when you have so many bolts loose?

I do a lot of memorization of parts and pieces and also lay out all the nuts/bolts by size and shape before I start assembling so I guess it just makes sense what goes where when I do it.

Reactions: 3 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Finished up cleaning the firewall as much as I will for this time, may buff it out though...

I guess they write the color down on the firewall?

And the nasty chrome wheels and off road tires are gone, need to run the originals down and get new rubber.

Reactions: 4 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ok so I guess I missed it. What happened with the engine? You said you figured out it was #6 that was causing it to bind but that's it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Ok so I guess I missed it. What happened with the engine? You said you figured out it was #6 that was causing it to bind but that's it.

I did outling it in post #68 but, #6 had a set of .0010 over bearings in it, I'll assume they put them in when they thought they were fixing it, all the rest had standards. Torque all down but #6 engine turns fine, #6 torqued, locked up tight. Put new standards in #6 and one more pair on #1(had a slight burr on crank that scored what they put in), and all is fine. Also when I had pulled the transmission all the bolts were finger tight with a couple backed out 1/16 to 1/8" so that may have been the cause for the broken flexplate.

Sold the old chrome wheels and baja tires yesterday so I'm back on the steelies and need to chase down some new tires but I did make it out on the garage this morning before it got too hot.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Man I would have put a dowel in that flex plate. Went through 2 of them on my big block before deciding to put one in. No more loose bolts and ovaled out holes. And yes I torqued them and used red lock tite. Might not be necessary but this is the time to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor