1980 Malibu Wagon resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good to see you making headway. Once the engine's in and running it will inspire you to continue on your quest to make it driveable once again.
Keep up the good work. (y)

Reactions: 1 users

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
Did a little bit this weekend but nothing too exciting... got the cluster re-installed. Installed battery tray and battery, set radiator in and overflow. There’s some cracks in the fan shroud so got stuck on that. Is there a good aftermarket solution for this that’s not too much $$$.

Attachments

• 6C395D9C-D45B-4033-A66B-EB268413D96E.jpeg
    6C395D9C-D45B-4033-A66B-EB268413D96E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 167
  • 37C08B43-EBF3-474F-ADC9-43837C107686.jpeg
    37C08B43-EBF3-474F-ADC9-43837C107686.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 164
Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Did a little bit this weekend but nothing too exciting... got the cluster re-installed. Installed battery tray and battery, set radiator in and overflow. There’s some cracks in the fan shroud so got stuck on that. Is there a good aftermarket solution for this that’s not too much $$$.

Hmmm Interesting, at least I'll know what the inside of the Cluster looks like, but I am also noticing like my 81' Malibu Coupe that you do not have a Needle pointing to what gear it is shifted to on the column, I am wondering if that was common in these cars?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Hmmm Interesting, at least I'll know what the inside of the Cluster looks like, but I am also noticing like my 81' Malibu Coupe that you do not have a Needle pointing to what gear it is shifted to on the column, I am wondering if that was common in these cars?

After almost 40 years, they're super brittle. Bumping them can break the needle off, if it hasn't already vibrated off form use/age

Same applies for the gauge needles on the "gauge package" cars, especially the speedo needles.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
After almost 40 years, they're super brittle. Bumping them can break the needle off, if it hasn't already vibrated off form use/age

Same applies for the gauge needles on the "gauge package" cars, especially the speedo needles.
Well that explains it, I was guessing that the needle had broken off but I wasn't sure entirely. Thanks (y) .

Boglog

Apprentice
Mar 19, 2020
WA
Now that you mention it I’m not sure where that needle is or how it would move about because I don’t see how it’d be connected to anything. However, it did seem like something could be missing in there. Lol, what can I do, it’s low on the priority list.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
1585629811211.jpeg

The cable attaches to the lower column sleeve, usually about the 2 o'clock position

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa

I had an 80 Malibu wagon that the previous owner had glued a finishing nail to the selector to replace the needle. It worked, but as I found many little things he "fixed", I quickly figured out the guy had no business working on a car !

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor