1992 Camaro "The Lady Mullet" Z28

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
but, like treadwear numbers, tire dimensions vary across manufacturers as well.

I am trying to leverage this on the HellKitty. It needs a 315mm 200 tire that runs extra wide. Up until this year I could have used a 325mm and been laughing, but they adjusted the base points for my class.

This Camaro is probably just going to end up in the "prepared" class like my Buick was because it needs so much work to be brought into the 21st Century. R compound tires will be a non-starter as we won't want to do tire swaps all summer long.

Still needs to be daily drivable.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I am trying to leverage this on the HellKitty. It needs a 315mm 200 tire that runs extra wide. Up until this year I could have used a 325mm and been laughing, but they adjusted the base points for my class.

This Camaro is probably just going to end up in the "prepared" class like my Buick was because it needs so much work to be brought into the 21st Century. R compound tires will be a non-starter as we won't want to do tire swaps all summer long.

Still needs to be daily drivable.

None of the compounds I mentioned were R comps BTW.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
None of the compounds I mentioned were R comps BTW.

I understand. I am just saying that once we are in "prepared" the type of tire is irrelevant... except where swap tires is not happening.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I understand. I am just saying that once we are in "prepared" the type of tire is irrelevant... except where swap tires is not happening.

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far myself unless I was committed. I don't know that the 3rd gen could be a ringer in any class? The rules tend to favor the nimbler fart cars.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
My non-G hub adapter comment reminded me that the 1LE I believe had better bearings than the regular Camaros, but I don't recall if the spindle was different too. There is a bolt in spindle conversion kit for the 4th gen as well that uses 3rd gen bearings as an upgrade. Ditches the sealed hub assembly.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
My non-G hub adapter comment reminded me that the 1LE I believe had better bearings than the regular Camaros, but I don't recall if the spindle was different too. There is a bolt in spindle conversion kit for the 4th gen as well that uses 3rd gen bearings as an upgrade. Ditches the sealed hub assembly.

Yeah, the 1LE was good stuff for the time. Having serviceable hubs is always nice.

This is how you fab suspension:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well shiiiiiit... you knew it wouldn't take long to do something about the "stock" problem. I was farting around on the Kijiji and found a set of reasonably priced Z06 Speedlines just 20 mins down the road - so I snatched them up once I had the Mrs' approval (we had a set for her last Camaro). It took the girls about 2 seconds before the words: paint them purple/rainbow/sparkly came out.

Didn't take long before I had them test fitted.

LOL - WTF are those... tires for ants?!

IMG_20200814_211426.jpg

1.30" adapter up front, struts wouldn't settle down no matter how much I jumped on it - look at the old pics for the normal ride height.

Don't judge me!

Thinking 1.5" is going to be the final answer.

IMG_20200814_211200.jpg

2.25" of adapter/spacers (might go 2.5"); going to need a bit less tire regardless... damn 325mm Goodyear Supercars. Going to need a lot more mud flap.

IMG_20200814_211313.jpg

My motto has always been: good enough for Corvette, good enough for Camaro.

IMG_20200814_211240.jpg

Definitely going to need a drop.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Popped the 1.5" adapter up front, and gave the back inner wheel wells a few love taps with the BFH. Rolled it around and got the suspension to settle.

IMG_20200815_130253.jpg
IMG_20200815_130337.jpg
IMG_20200815_130309.jpg

Going to go with Bridgestone S007As in the stock Z06 sizes - they will run narrower than these GYs and have rounded shoulders.

The current plan is to go with a Watts link to centre the differential (eliminates the PHB and brace). Set of adjustable roto joint lowers and some relocation brackets. Moog 5664s up front, and something equally aggressive out back; stock sway bars will be plenty. Still leaning towards Koni yellows.

Even with this it is going to be a game of millimeters.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Put some camber in the front of that thing. Then you'll need longer spacers.

Yeah, it is definitely set "straight up" right now. I am guessing 2.25" square on the adapters is going to to be the spicy recipe (very similar to what I ran on my old '92 with 9.5" saw blades). These cars have such generously designed front wheel lips/liners. Tee hee.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor