1JZ or 2JZ in 78-88 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I live in GA; they're mostly riced out, but solid.

bishopTS

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2017
sorry to revive an old thread. I'm new here. I've been working on a 2jz 84 regal off and on for a couple months. I picked up the regal with a plan to do that. I had an 87 supra that I had swapped a 2jz into from a Japanese Toyota aristo. so I'm familiar with the engine layout. it was stock 280hp that was easy to push to 426 to the wheels by pushing the boost up and building a map clamp to hide the boost from the ecm. Japanese engines don't usually make more torque than v8 engines but they make up for that with gears. the stock gears in my supra were 3.91, which to an American car would be a good upgrade to. I had a 4cyl 4runner that has 4.56 gears from the factory. it was slow on the highway but it could pull a broke down f250 that was pulling a boat. so... to overcome the lack of torque just adjust the gear ratio in the rear end and you will be fine.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Still a Lotta cash for mediocre performance. I still haven't seen the appeal of this swap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bishopTS

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2017
900hp on the stock bottom end is pretty much the standard for that engine. they come with forged crank and rods from the factory. the fuel system is the big game changer. I was on stock 440cc injectors and built a map clamp for around 6 dollars. so... total I had 1800 dollar engine with a 40 dollar boost controller and 6 dollar map clamp. and was at 426 to the wheels. and I was getting 22mpg with the a/c on.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah let me know how "900 HP on a stock 2jz bottom" works for you. And good luck finding an actual turbo 2j for 1800 bucks....

Reactions: 1 user

bishopTS

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2017
I got mine for 1800 from jdmenginecorp.com, their prices change often and you can negotiate when you have cash and are standing in their loading dock ready to buy. honestly the 4.8 ls engine would be a more cost effective solution, I've seen a few of those in fox body mustangs making pretty big power. I just would rather do something that is rare instead of just like the one I just looked at.

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/136499-s...7-80-e85.html#/topics/136499?page=1&_k=x2i22z

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
And it took off like every other 2jz swapped muscle car I've seen....like a ford ranger lol

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor