200-4R Difficult to WOT 4->3 downshift

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
meh since near new I just grab the shifter and depending on the speed I either jam it in D or 2 . I have honestly never had a 200r shift where I wanted it to, The th350 and 400 were so much more responsive, I always figured I just never could get it set up right

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
Can anyone advise me on adjusting the Cable for the 200 4r (OZ) attached to a 350SBC with and Edelbrock 600 ( 1405/1406)
Thanks In advance
I recommend this system, it a bit pricey but its a clean install and you can fine tune the part throttle shift points.
I run it on both my SS and HO and very pleased. Go this route make sure you get the throttle and cruise brackets

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It sounds like the TV cable is too tight, mine delays going into OD, my cable is too tight on purpose. If you want about 5000 rpm shift points, I grind the small weight quite thin and tap a short screw in to retain the spring, using stock low performance governor springs. I loctight it in place and grind the head as flush as possible. This is a regular non performance valve body and with a Transgo shift kit.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I don't believe the governor will have much to do with downshifting.

Hats off to anyone for modifying one to raise the WOT shift point - those springs a booger to get back in.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Jake,
How do you know how much to actually remove from the governor? Is it trial and error? I know I'll be faced with modifying the governor or finding one from a GN, Monte SS, H/O, 442.

That's what I followed. Before and after. Basically cut the big side down so it's flush to the small side and remove a spring.

Before
IMG_20190107_214642.jpg

After
IMG_20190109_205057.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you for the great information, pics, and link to the BuickV8 site thread on governor modification. Once again it's much appreciated.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, the governor does squat for the kick down. Either a valve body or TV cable issue. Grinding the large weight raises part throttle shift points FYI. 81Cutlass, did that actually raise shift points any amount? I would think that is a few hundred rpm modification. The line bias spring also effects shift rpm. The Transgo kit claims 300 to 500 rpm with their green spring. Pretty sure it did add a few for me. I needed it with a much thinner governor than 81Cutlass's for 5000 rpm. The staked screw for the small weight spring, adds weight but keeps everything in place, unlike the stock performance governors.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah, the governor does squat for the kick down. Either a valve body or TV cable issue. Grinding the large weight raises part throttle shift points FYI. 81Cutlass, did that actually raise shift points any amount? I would think that is a few hundred rpm modification. The line bias spring also effects shift rpm. The Transgo kit claims 300 to 500 rpm with their green spring. Pretty sure it did add a few for me. I needed it with a much thinner governor than 81Cutlass's for 5000 rpm. The staked screw for the small weight spring, adds weight but keeps everything in place, unlike the stock performance governors.

100% it raises shift points. I have done it to both my carb turbo 3.8 cutlass and my intercooled turbo 4.1 wagon.

The carb turbo cutlass came factory with a th350 and it was a pretty good performer. I swapped to the 2004r out of like a 88 caprice and it was TERRIBLE. It shifted at like 3500 rpm, it was really sluggish, and made the car a lot slower to the butt dyno. The motor lost boost considerably and didn't rev. I did that governor mod and it helped everywhere. It shifts at a higher RPM and actually winds out and builds boost.

It was so noticeable I didn't even bother on my turbo wagon with the stock governor when i installed it. The trans was out of my 2+2 and lived behind the blown 6.0 for a total of 2 put around the block miles before I swapped it since I knew it wouldn't last. Again it was a standard low performance 2004r. I don't know what the shift points would have been with the stock governor but I like the points with the cut down one behind the 4.1. Honestly the trans has 80k on it and the band is worn so it won't shift at WOT. It's hard to gauge what the shift points are at WOT since I am punishing that high mileage 200 with more torque than it ever dreamed of, but it seems pretty good at 60% throttle if I keep it under 5 PSI.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have had two 2004R'S shift around 3000 rpm, current one in the 70S is 3200 rpm, out of a B body as well! I ground a ton off to go from the stock 88 governor of 3000 rpm to 4600 rpm and that was with the Transgo line bias spring.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
In 81 Cutlass's attached link, Texas T replied. He's a member here as well. He rarely visits though. He is a very knowledgeable 200-4R guy, that helped me a bunch when I 1st started messing with a stock one.

The governor is an easy component to remove and work on. I'm not one to complete a full tear down, but getting the governor outt is as easy as changing the oil and oil filter. Just need to source the governor housing gasket in case the old one tears when disassembled.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor