200-4r issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

horners85regal

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2011
Trenton Ontario Canada
im leaning towards the vacuum switch, as he said if he taps on the brake pedal it stops the jerking, that means the torque converter in unlocking when the power is cut at the brake pedal switch.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
horners85regal said:
im leaning towards the vacuum switch, as he said if he taps on the brake pedal it stops the jerking, that means the torque converter in unlocking when the power is cut at the brake pedal switch.

A 1986 Monte Carlo SS doesn't have a lockup vacuum switch.

horners85regal

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2011
Trenton Ontario Canada
well that throwsout any help I thought I was giving in reference to a vacuum switch ! Sorry didnt realise the ecm was in the 86 I just looked it up, the purple wire at the brake switch can be cut to prevent the converter lock up on the power side or tan with black at transmission is the ground side of tcc lock up. Still it is unlocking when the brake is depressed so the solenoid isnt stuck in the transmission i wouldnt think

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
MeanBuicks said:
jkey said:
MeanBuicks said:
The most likely cause is that the TCC (converter clutch) solenoid is stuck which is a very common failure mode for these. Replacement is easy just requiring pan removal and then a couple of 10 mm bolts.

Is there a way to unplug it and see if it is stuck before replacing it? I imagine if its in the pan it wouldn't be worth the time to do that. Wasn't sure if there was an external connector somewhere outside the transmission for it.

Unplugging it electrically will not help when the solenoid fails in this manner. There is an internal check valve in the solenoid that normally bleeds a hydraulic signal off until it is commanded on electrically. What happens is that this valve sticks closed, a mechanical failure, that will exist whether it's plugged in or not. This causes the TCC to apply at all times as the transmission shifts to second gear and beyond. The internal hydraulic signal drops off on the 2-1 shift so that's why the car doesn't stall when stopped even with the solenoid stuck.

I may put a new solenoid in it just to see. It's only about 30$ and the filter hasn't been changed in a long time either. It'd be a good excuse i think

jkey

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2013
Aberdeen, North Carolina
would putting in a cleaner additive like a Lubeguard product or something similar possibly free it from sticking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor