BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon Update 6/17/14 Chassis assembly!!!

Tuggy24g said:
Finally your getting some progress on the wagon! Maybe in 2016 we can finally cruise together!
Yeah man, I hope to have it on the road at the end of the year, or in the beginning of 2015. I have some military obligations that are throwing a wrench in my build, so we'll see.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Chassis is rolling.[emoji1]
age9udaj.jpg

yjy6ahaj.jpg

Brakes

ydujehy8.jpg

y8ary3ah.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Looks great , Jim.
I'm impressed with your progress. :eek:

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

excellent progress! makes me feel pretty lazy that its take 3 weeks or so just to yank the L/S axle out of the back of my truck and start cleaning it up..... :?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

I just remembered a problem I had with my car. If you have used 1/2" taller lower ball you may have an issue with the lowers. The outer edge of the lower control sits in the opening in the rotor above the braking surface. When you put in a taller lower ball joint that lowers the control arm 1/2" and that causes the outer edge of the lower control arm to ride on the braking surface of the rotor. I ruined a set of rotors on mine before I could figure out what the funny feel was in the steering. You won't see the problem with the car up in the air like you have but if you the wheel at ride height you'll see if you have a problem.

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA

liquidh8 said:
Tuggy24g said:
Finally your getting some progress on the wagon! Maybe in 2016 we can finally cruise together!
Yeah man, I hope to have it on the road at the end of the year, or in the beginning of 2015. I have some military obligations that are throwing a wrench in my build, so we'll see.
Its all good man. I'm just busting your chops .it's always better to take your time and do things right the first time then having to go back and do it again because you half assed it.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Longroof79 said:
Looks great , Jim.
I'm impressed with your progress. :eek:

Thanks Jack! I hope to get some brake lines run today, not gonna get a whole lot done over the weekend. :(

1evilregal said:
excellent progress! makes me feel pretty lazy that its take 3 weeks or so just to yank the L/S axle out of the back of my truck and start cleaning it up..... :?

I understand your pain, that's for sure. seems to be taking me forever just to bolt some clean parts together, haha.

pontiacgp said:
I just remembered a problem I had with my car. If you have used 1/2" taller lower ball you may have an issue with the lowers. The outer edge of the lower control sits in the opening in the rotor above the braking surface. When you put in a taller lower ball joint that lowers the control arm 1/2" and that causes the outer edge of the lower control arm to ride on the braking surface of the rotor. I ruined a set of rotors on mine before I could figure out what the funny feel was in the steering. You won't see the problem with the car up in the air like you have but if you the wheel at ride height you'll see if you have a problem.

I have used the 1/2" taller. After some reading about alignment problems, ball joint range of motion and the like, I put the front end together without springs. Control arms, rotors and wheels. The balljoints never bind, and nothing hits. I have the 13" rotors, no backing plates. And with the offset cross shafts, I won't have a huge shim pack to get the caster and camber in. I "should" be good. We'll see, :D

Its all good man. I'm just busting your chops .it's always better to take your time and do things right the first time then having to go back and do it again because you half assed it.

Oh I know, no worries. :D I am taking my time, just for that reason!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Got the fuel and brake lines all bent. I used the nice stainless clamps amd machine screws. I drilled and tapped the holes. I have to remove the feed and return to put the tube nuts and sleeves on, that is why they are long still.

I just got the engine and trans in.

e4uba2up.jpg

uda3abe2.jpg

9upusema.jpg

ygapy7uz.jpg

2yne7ene.jpg

6y6arynu.jpg

aha8e3az.jpg

I still have to run the nitrous line too. Since the engine is in now, I know where it has to go.

The control arms look orange in some of these pics,[emoji20] I assure you they are red like the valve covers.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :wink: :-D :friday:

I second that...it looks great! Maybe we'll make it to Carlisle next year. :wink:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor