83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
That's they way mine came setup from the factory. Now I have my iceman bolted in solid

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Woah didnt realize it's been this long since I have updated this. I got most of the little stuff like plumbing, gauges hooked up, and some wiring done. My project now is the exhaust. I couldnt use the 2.5 inch dual setup I had on originally so I had a guy with a small shop bend me up some 3" pipes. Im not messing with the pain of tailpipes right now so it will just have mufflers dumped before the rear axle. The mufflers are Pypes Street Pros and I welded in my 3" cutouts finally. Waiting on hangers and clamps to put it in.
exhaust by bwollens1983, on Flickr
I bent up my trans cooler lines also. Since the A body headers are HUGE I didnt wanna mess with running the lines along the frame like they were from the factory so I ran them along the fender well. I will ziptie them together tight and use some decent looking wire loom to cover them and make them look like a harness instead of 2 awkward lines. The lines are double flared on the transmission side and I put a small flare on the cooler side to ensure the rubber lines seal.
trans lines by bwollens1983, on Flickr

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I got the exhaust bolted in and done. I have been finishing up some misc wiring but still have to figure out my starter wiring. In the meantime I decided to mess around with my boring stock looking corvette rallies and came up with this. Think I found a winner....
new rims by bwollens1983, on Flickr
Paint consists of 2 coats of gloss black enamel and 2 coats of gloss clear coat. I added the 1/4" red pinstripe but ran out so I could only do the left rear. I might go with a thinner stripe maybe 1/8". My dad says there's too much black now but I love it so it stays 8)

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
looking BAD@SS there brennan!!! 8) any chance you could get a pic of the exhaust for me/us? do you have a part # on the pypes kit?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
L.A.X-RATED said:
looking BAD@SS there brennan!!! 8) any chance you could get a pic of the exhaust for me/us? do you have a part # on the pypes kit?
The exhaust isnt from Pypes only the mufflers are. They are the Street Pros. The pipes I had a guy bend up to copy my original 2.5" pipes. I went with 3" for sound and because my headers have a 3.5" collector so I hated the idea of choking 3.5" down to 2.5". There wasnt enough room to fit the full length of the cutouts in the pipe without having them way towards the back so I just cut the cutout part off and welded them right onto the exhaust.

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
Just wondering if you ever got the upper control arms figured out? did the 8 inch arms work out? I'm wondering if I have to reorder the 8.5 inch arms to correct the camber

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
godlemmy said:
Just wondering if you ever got the upper control arms figured out? did the 8 inch arms work out? I'm wondering if I have to reorder the 8.5 inch arms to correct the camber
No I havent had a chance to roll the car any good distance so im hoping when I get it out it will settle. I think my issue is the springs being brand new and not having a chance to settle.

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
Thanks for the a arm update. I'm thinking of trying a set of 8.5 inch ones on. one of ours. If I do I'll post an update. The monte is coming along nicely. Keep the pictures coming.

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
Here's a few pix of the 8.5 in a arms.I think they fit better and have room for some adjustments.

Attachments

• 20141002_220305.jpg
    20141002_220305.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 451

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Been awhile since I updated this! I got 99% of the wiring done. I have my Griffin radiator at a fab shop getting a shroud made for the 16" electric fan. I finally got around to mounting the other 16" electric fan on the front side of the radiator support so it will be a pull/push setup with two 16" 3000 cfm fans to keep the big block cool.

Now for the problem. I cannot for the life me get my trans pan to seal. I have tried 2 different gaskets - one cork and one paper - but it still leaks from the rear driver's side. Not like gushing out but if I leave it for a day I have a pretty good sized puddle under it. I think im just gonna get it going, put some miles on it and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor