84' Cutlass pro touring build

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Whoa whoa whoa, let’s slow down a little bit here, it would appear that there’s some confusion over what the oven cleaner was used on.

The oven cleaner was actually used to remove the anodized clear coating from the trim pieces, not any chrome plating from plastic. I most definitely would not recommend attempting to use oven cleaner on chrome plated plastic.

Now that being said, I did paint some of the chrome pieces on the car with great success, most notably the insides of the headlight and taillight bezels. The prep for these areas is super simple; just thoroughly scuff the chrome areas with red ScotchBrite, mask and spray on your Bulldog adhesion promoter (same stuff I used), then shoot your black.

As simple as that. 3+ years on Olds Cool now, and no paint flaking from the painted chrome areas yet.
So you didn't seal them after the adhesion promoter?

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Build is looking good! One tip I have that you may or may not know about/want to do. I scuffed my taillights with the maroon scuff pad and clear coated them. Damn did they look good!

EDIT: Looks like you polished yours, same effect I suppose. I know plastic headlights have a UV coating on them for protection, not sure if taillights to too. Probably wont matter, at least not for 5-10 years
I haven't cleaned up the red lenses yet. They definitely need a polish job.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So you didn't seal them after the adhesion promoter?
Nope. I used a non catalyzed spray paint that would’ve reacted (badly) with the sealer. Left ‘em as is, no issues. It was VHT Chassis and Roll bar paint if you were curious, it’s good stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Nope. I used a non catalyzed spray paint that would’ve reacted (badly) with the sealer. Left ‘em as is, no issues. It was VHT Chassis and Roll bar paint if you were curious, it’s good stuff.
It is decent stuff for something from a rattle can but it's not very UV resistant. If your junk stays outside, you'll be touching up parts after some exposure dwell time. Been there & still use the stuff.

I like their Satin Epoxy as well. I recall reading somewhere recently that one of the other brands (duplicolor?) is made by the same manufacturer.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Yes it is. I have used many cans on many projects. I've got quite a bit of single stage satin black so I will seal/epoxy prior.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Last of the major stripping done. Epoxy and some hi build next.
20221027_151758.jpg
20221027_152031.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Tail light trim cleaned and scotch pad with 3M paste. First time using it and it smells and feels like a citrus hand cleaner.
Then a coat of epoxy and three of high build on hood.
Aside from buying tape (because it's astounding how much you use) I haven't spent much of anything in a long time for this build. I stock piled all essentials years ago. So I was kind of excited when I got these hood vents today.
20221028_131447.jpg
20221028_144402.jpg
20221028_105851.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Not sure what you prepped the hood with it looks like a small abrasive. Must of taken you long but ultimately it looks like you did an awesome job.
3M roloc green bristle disc and purple 3" stripping wheels. Probably 8 hours.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor