BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have the HD fans sitting right next to the GP so I can grab a thickness photo of the standard and HD cooling setup tonight.

I think ‘81 Cutlass can handle the extra thickness, but I can’t.
Thick GIF by memecandy

And on the topic of the built in GIF attachment tool, 'Thick' also has some, er, interesting ones.....

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Went to the good old fleet farm and got wiring supplies to replenish my depleted stock. Got home and realized I never designed fuses info the system and obviously didn't got to get fuse holders so I gotta get those from the weird surplus store tomorrow and then maybe put the fan relays in.

As for the fan measurements. Survey says.

3.5" for the normal 5 blade fan and 4.25 for the HD intrepid fan.
IMG_20210223_204629.jpg

IMG_20210223_204701.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210223_204701.jpg
    IMG_20210223_204701.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: 6 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
show interrupts GIF

But, have you seen this 5-6 lockout pin? My brother's buddy makes it. Instructions and videos are in the menu: https://sixspeedlockout.com/shop/
Can you give us more info. Purpose? I know it locks out 5th & 6th gears. Is it permanent or just requires more effort so you don't hit 5 or 6 when trying to hit 3 & 4?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Can you give us more info. Purpose? I know it locks out 5th & 6th gears. Is it permanent or just requires more effort so you don't hit 5 or 6 when trying to hit 3 & 4?

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Without watching the video, it sounds like it goes in place of the reverse lockout. I bet it's just an extension for it and then you wire it up to a toggle switch taking control away from the PCM. Having been inside a T56 this makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah I read/watched through it, it makes sense so you don't hit 5th on the 2-3 shift. I could see it being very helpful on a road course where you are shifting up and down a lot.

Only issue with it is that I have the reverse lockout set up so I don't go into reverse on a 4-5 shift or reverse on the 6-5 shift, and I don't think you can use the reverse lockout with this setup.

Honestly this car blows the driveline up enough that I don't have enough passes at the quarter for me to know if I legitimately miss shifts often enough. Something to consider once I get to that point.

I have the stock t56 shifter and I like it, I don't see why people go to short throw shifters on them to be honest. However, I did learn to drive manual in a 40k pound 1982 IH grain truck with a 13 speed at age 15 which has the shifter feel of a spatula in a bowl of mashed potatoes so my baseline for bad shifter feel is pretty low.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yeah I read/watched through it, it makes sense so you don't hit 5th on the 2-3 shift. I could see it being very helpful on a road course where you are shifting up and down a lot.

Only issue with it is that I have the reverse lockout set up so I don't go into reverse on a 4-5 shift or reverse on the 6-5 shift, and I don't think you can use the reverse lockout with this setup.

Honestly this car blows the driveline up enough that I don't have enough passes at the quarter for me to know if I legitimately miss shifts often enough. Something to consider once I get to that point.

I have the stock t56 shifter and I like it, I don't see why people go to short throw shifters on them to be honest. However, I did learn to drive manual in a 40k pound 1982 IH grain truck with a 13 speed at age 15 which has the shifter feel of a spatula in a bowl of mashed potatoes so my baseline for bad shifter feel is pretty low.

I remember swapping in a B&M Ripper into my then-GF's brand new '02 Z28 - it was an improvement. But, not nearly as dramatic as putting the Barton in my HC. I think it has a lot to do with the shifter being in the transmission case vs. divorced.

My Barton has very strong centering springs so going 2-5 takes some proper ignorance. 3-4 is a dream.

• Informative

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I remember swapping in a B&M Ripper into my then-GF's brand new '02 Z28 - it was an improvement. But, not nearly as dramatic as putting the Barton in my HC. I think it has a lot to do with the shifter being in the transmission case vs. divorced.

My Barton has very strong centering springs so going 2-5 takes some proper ignorance. 3-4 is a dream.

That's the way my MGW is. I've missed a few 3-2 downshifts on the Camaro because I didn't yank on it like a man. 2-3 up is an absolute dream as is 3-4 and 4-3. 5th takes some commitment like you said.

• Informative

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor