BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
And I found out weir hotrod products who builds a BOP conversion kit for an lt1 t56 and they sell a new bell housing that is .7" longer than the stock lt1. They don't give you a longer input shaft so they must hang the input shaft farther out of the crank and pilot bearing.

The pictures in the link below show there is about 2 inches between the pressureplate and trans. Since I have 1.11 add .7 thats close enough to 2 for photos to be accurate.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/48446-t56-six-speed-transmission-swap/

Reactions: 1 user

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
An extended pilot bearing is easy. You have the small farther-in spot. And you have the big spot where a converter normally seats. If proper pilot depth allows, the outer spot with a big CTS-V roller bearing is best. I don't know if 0.7" will get you there but should be close; measure and see. If things just don't put the pilot end into the crank in a good place, go bronze (make sure it is NOT magnetic) and machine it to suit your setup. There's a big o.d. bronze bushing that would work if machined to fit your setup.

An LS bell gives 16mm depth; CTS-V 23mm more than the LT1. Not sure Weir is needed.

Does your starter engage the new flywheel properly?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Good news, I dont think the ratio between moving the pressure plate disk and the throwout bearing fingers is 1 to 1. Torqued the clutch disk and pressure plate down today and I gained about .6" that I didnt think i had.

Turns out I have 1.25" of distance between the clutch fingers and bellhousing flange and theres like .5" between the bellhousing flange and the surface the TOB rides on so I have 1.75" total. I needed 1.62 so its good news! Going to order the howe T5 hydro TOB and hose kit Monday. Going to try to also fit an S10 manual pedal assy into the car so I can get the clutch pedal. Also an S10 master cyl since you can get adjustable ones for $23.

Reactions: 1 users

black_aerocoupe

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
I know the F-body master fits pretty well; does the S10 master fit angled also? The brake booster is a big fitment blocker.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Sorry I haven't seen this yet, I have an lt1 t56 in my car behind an olds motor. Don't buy the weir bell and throwout. I had issues with it as he sold it to me knowing I'd use a stock f body master, then it didn't flow enough fluid for the throwout to work.

I'd pick up a John Bzdel pedal and a 3/4th gen f body master. Its a 100% bolt in for under $300 total. That takes care of the pedal and pedal side hydraulics. I have a 1400-22 throwout. I have had it fail 2x, but I think I have found the issue. They are easily over extended, with a pedal stop right past the point of full clutch release, that should solve the problem (use an adjustable appliance foot through the floor). I converted the master from the gm disconnect line to AN line, the fittings are available for <$20.

Feel free to look through my thread on this.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/update-my-t56-and-ford-8-8-swap-finally-onto-rear-swap.51874/

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Also, I'm running the wier bell, but in hindsight, I'd have just bought a blowproof bell, which I'll have to do someday.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Cool, thanks! Ill have to remember that.

I actually picked up the whole pedal assy out of an 86 S10. I think it might bolt in. To be determined. Kinda want to run a stock setup (s10 pedals, master, t5 TOB) since its kinda already proven to work as a package.

I also just got the Howe T5 bearing. Going to build a bushing to adapt it to the t56. The bearing is like $140 and the hoses are $35 for the master to TOB and external bleed hose.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I made the T5 to T56 adapter bushing today. Having my own lathe and my buddies mill is totally starting to pay off. Basically saved ~$250 with this over a mcleod. And howe gives dimensions on their TOB so I can verify it will work, cant confirm if the mcleod one would work without dropping $375 or whatever.

I have everything to put the trans in, just need to figure out my clutch pedal, cut the driveshaft down, and move the bracket on my crossmember. Then I can drive it!

Machining pics because I like making chips.

Hole-y cow

This is boring

Totally tubular

And it fits

Barb and Mona. I don't name cars but I do name machine tools! Hehe.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Trans is in and wouldnt you know it fits!

2004r x member to lt1 t56 6.0 with 1" setback home built mounts

Last winter I told dad I needed to have a place to put the dual exhaust through. This resulted. :)

Now I need to break out the welder

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Trans is in and wouldnt you know it fits!

2004r x member to lt1 t56 6.0 with 1" setback home built mounts

Last winter I told dad I needed to have a place to put the dual exhaust through. This resulted. :)

Now I need to break out the welder

That's an elaborate way to make a dual exhaust crossmember. I just notched the one on the '83 Monte Carlo. I like it though.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor