86 GP project

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Grabbed the 350 from my neighbor today. When I got it home, I tried the flex plate he gave me, and it fit perfectly.
I also grabbed this pair of stainless shorty headers today for $50. I thought it was a score, but the extension pipes seem to be a pretty penny. Time will tell. I have 2 sets of small block long tubes, but the ones I’d put on this car are currently in my Malibu.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9149.png
    IMG_9149.png
    8.3 MB · Views: 47
Reactions: 7 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Had to do some car shuffling today. First had to help my neighbor move his 54 Chevy so we had more room for his car trailer. Then my son and I went down and pulled the GP out of the spot it’s been in for at least 5 years. The. I dropped that off at the house, then grabbed the beetle to park it by my friends shop.
Once the GP was up on the trailer, I got my first really good look at the underside. I was amazed at how clean it is underneath. IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9153.jpeg
IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9154.jpeg
IMG_9151.jpeg
IMG_9152.jpeg
IMG_9159.jpeg
IMG_9153.jpeg
IMG_9155.jpeg
IMG_9154.jpeg
IMG_9151.jpeg
IMG_9152.jpeg
IMG_9159.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Pushed the car in tonight. First step will be to get the brakes working l, as soon as I get a new master. Then I’ll tear into the engine, just to check it out and change the gaskets. Then I’ll paint under the hood and get the engine in. We’ll see how well I can stick to my plan.
IMG_9169.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Pushed the car in tonight. First step will be to get the brakes working l, as soon as I get a new master. Then I’ll tear into the engine, just to check it out and change the gaskets. Then I’ll paint under the hood and get the engine in. We’ll see how well I can stick to my plan.
Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

Just cause it makes the pics look much better and you have many more posts of fun to go, when you attach them to your post you can then insert them into the post so they show full screen or even as a thumbnail

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Liam Neeson Good Luck GIF

Just cause it makes the pics look much better and you have many more posts of fun to go, when you attach them to your post you can then insert them into the post so they show full screen or even as a thumbnail
I just tried it, didn’t know it was so easy.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Got the new master bench bled and installed. I’ll have to wait to bleed the brakes. Started taking the engine apart to clean and paint it. Just getting new gaskets, a paint job, and a new accessory drive, since it’s a runner.
The guy I got the wheels from has a full serpentine setup, with water pump, alternator, and ps pump, score right there.

Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Bad glass guys suck, and they ruin classic cars. I ran into the same issue on my Malibu. The windshield was changed at some point, and wasn’t properly primed. The result is a rusted windshield channel. It’s not a huge deal, since i planned on replacing the windshield, but I just hate crappy work.

Attachments

• IMG_9186.jpeg
    IMG_9186.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Bad glass guys suck, and they ruin classic cars. I ran into the same issue on my Malibu. The windshield was changed at some point, and wasn’t properly primed. The result is a rusted windshield channel. It’s not a huge deal, since i planned on replacing the windshield, but I just hate crappy work.
When I was 19 years old I learned you always, always had a body shop handle your windshield replacements, and, it's for EXACTLY the reason you're showing off here. If they found a little rust they cleaned it up while they were in there, and, often didn't even charge you as long as it wasn't deep/serious rust.

Fast forward the decades later, and, body shops no longer want to be bothered with working on glass. When windshields need to be pulled during insurance claims because they're in the way, they sublet that portion of the claim and bring in a glass company to do the removal, or revealing, of whatever you need.

Too bad we've gotten to this point compared to how things used to be...

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
When I was 19 years old I learned you always, always had a body shop handle your windshield replacements, and, it's for EXACTLY the reason you're showing off here. If they found a little rust they cleaned it up while they were in there, and, often didn't even charge you as long as it wasn't deep/serious rust.

Fast forward the decades later, and, body shops no longer want to be bothered with working on glass. When windshields need to be pulled during insurance claims because they're in the way, they sublet that portion of the claim and bring in a glass company to do the removal, or revealing, of whatever you need.

Too bad we've gotten to this point compared to how things used to be...
I agree with you to a point. There are still some really good glass guys out there. I’m a tech rep for a paint jobber in NJ. I go to a lot of shops, and all the good ones use one of two brothers. These guys are excellent, and take great pride in their work. They’re also pro by the only ones that will mess with old cars as well.
There is also a lot of bad glass guys out there.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor