BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

Definitely like your setup. Hope you remember where you got those nice fasteners and t bolt clamps because I'm sure I'm going to need them at some point in the future

Reactions: Injectedcutty
Definitely like your setup. Hope you remember where you got those nice fasteners and t bolt clamps because I'm sure I'm going to need them at some point in the future
Thanks man. I'm pretty neurotic about where I source stuff and keep a mental list. I had these handy so I snapped a pic for ya. The washers are from ebay. Just search the name on the bag, there is a bunch of different options. The bolts are just metric stainless, most of which I got when I worked at Fastenal, but any good hardware store should have the stuff, albeit pricey!
The T bolt clamps for the rad hoses are off of ebay also. That reminds me, I need smaller clamps for the upper hose...I have these tightened and can pull the hose off.
20190707_205013.jpg

Thanks man. Hope you don't mind the questions. I'll probably have a lot
Not at all, that's what this forum is about. There are a couple things I've done to the Cutlass that I won't divulge on here due to the nature of sneaky people on the web. Maybe last year a guy locally found pics of my car via google and tried hard to get my specs, color codes, etc. Part of me felt sorta flattered that somebody wanted to copy my work, but when one wants to use it as their own creation that's no bueno for me.

Not at all, that's what this forum is about. There are a couple things I've done to the Cutlass that I won't divulge on here due to the nature of sneaky people on the web. Maybe last year a guy locally found pics of my car via google and tried hard to get my specs, color codes, etc. Part of me felt sorta flattered that somebody wanted to copy my work, but when one wants to use it as their own creation that's no bueno for me.
Ah yes. Imitation is ultimate form of flattery. I have my own ideas and couldn't copy someone else's creations because it wouldn't be mine. I may see something I like and change it to make it different enough to be my own though. That's hot rodding at its foundation. Honestly I don't even understand buying a hot rod completed. Not my style. Creating does it for me as I'm sure many others here

Ah yes. Imitation is ultimate form of flattery. I have my own ideas and couldn't copy someone else's creations because it wouldn't be mine. I may see something I like and change it to make it different enough to be my own though. That's hot rodding at its foundation. Honestly I don't even understand buying a hot rod completed. Not my style. Creating does it for me as I'm sure many others here
Exactly. There are plenty of things I've done that have been done way before my time, but I've adapted said ideas. For example, removing the bumperettes and filling the holes to smooth the bumper...tons have done it, but don't see it done around here in Louisville much on G bodies.
The finish washer and flat head bolt combo is something I saw at the Street Rod Nationals years back, but it was either Ring Brothers or Rad Rides or something-they had similar setup but the price was WAY out of my budget. Sooo, I hunted and hunted until I found the ones I shared. They're subtle, but custom enough to compliment the overall theme of my resto which is a restored style. If GM were to throw some custom touches on a Cutlass but have it still look factory built, but with better suspension and bigger wheels/tires, modern drivetrain, etc. So far I hope I'm nailing it, we'll see once it's "finished!"

Exactly. There are plenty of things I've done that have been done way before my time, but I've adapted said ideas. For example, removing the bumperettes and filling the holes to smooth the bumper...tons have done it, but don't see it done around here in Louisville much on G bodies.
The finish washer and flat head bolt combo is something I saw at the Street Rod Nationals years back, but it was either Ring Brothers or Rad Rides or something-they had similar setup but the price was WAY out of my budget. Sooo, I hunted and hunted until I found the ones I shared. They're subtle, but custom enough to compliment the overall theme of my resto which is a restored style. If GM were to throw some custom touches on a Cutlass but have it still look factory built, but with better suspension and bigger wheels/tires, modern drivetrain, etc. So far I hope I'm nailing it, we'll see once it's "finished!"
Yep. All true. And you mentioned the "finished" thing. I don't ever think a car is finished. Maybe you are like me. As I'm sure others are.... I actually like doing the work more than the "finished" thing. Sure I love driving and getting on her hard but it's the journey that gets me. Not only the work but the thinking. The research. I am a little strange that way !!!!! And I by no means am an expert at any of this. Reading through some of these builds... Seeing the incredible fab work. Blows my mind. I'm pretty sure I'll never be even close to some of the guys on here as far as that's concerned. But that journey lights my wick.

Yep. All true. And you mentioned the "finished" thing. I don't ever think a car is finished. Maybe you are like me. As I'm sure others are.... I actually like doing the work more than the "finished" thing. Sure I love driving and getting on her hard but it's the journey that gets me. Not only the work but the thinking. The research. I am a little strange that way !!!!! And I by no means am an expert at any of this. Reading through some of these builds... Seeing the incredible fab work. Blows my mind. I'm pretty sure I'll never be even close to some of the guys on here as far as that's concerned. But that journey lights my wick.

I sure seem to take this to an extreme . . . even bought that nice 67 "driver" 442 to buzz around in while I get the 87 "resto'd" and what did I do? Tore it apart too. Now, there were legitimate reasons but she is still scattered too. One of these days I'll either die or get healthy enough to get something back together? Of that I am fairly certain . . .

I sure seem to take this to an extreme . . . even bought that nice 67 "driver" 442 to buzz around in while I get the 87 "resto'd" and what did I do? Tore it apart too. Now, there were legitimate reasons but she is still scattered too. One of these days I'll either die or get healthy enough to get something back together? Of that I am fairly certain . . .
Death and taxes. Certainties for sure. Gotta keep on plugging along brother. Now I've never had two projects at one time but I sure have my other hobbies that take up my time. Since girlfriend moved out my place is bachelor city. Car parts everywhere. Moved reloading bench to my living room. Boy this thread got hijacked
Sorry injected one !!!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor