BUILD THREAD 87 Cutlass EFI build: 9/13/23..NEW STUFF!

You have the patience of a saint... Gosh that's a lot of work.... You are just making my build that much harder. Lol....
So that is semi gloss clear over the black ???
Believe me when I say "I HATE SANDING!!!!" However, I've learned the end result relies heavily on this stage and I've become very picky. I completely understand why body shops charge what they do! It's a necessary evil, I've got tons of hours sanding so far, and plenty more to go!!! Don't let me make your build harder man. I typically sand in hour or two sessions to not get overly bored with it. Also, I crank the tunes as I'm way more focused and effective with music playing.
Yes, that's semi gloss clear over trim black satin. I'm trying to achieve a factory looking finish and I think this will do the trick, I hope lol!

Highly Recommended . . . They have gone up a bit. Mine was $1000 installed just 2 years ago. I'd still do it though. My 24x24 stays warm above 40 and cool period. Below 40 where heat pumps start to struggle, I got a cheap 5000W space heater over where the car sits. I just noticed Gree makes this unit WITH an integrated 5kW backup heater now that's not much more than without.

1563848255457.png

Last edited:
Believe me when I say "I HATE SANDING!!!!" However, I've learned the end result relies heavily on this stage and I've become very picky. I completely understand why body shops charge what they do! It's a necessary evil, I've got tons of hours sanding so far, and plenty more to go!!! Don't let me make your build harder man. I typically sand in hour or two sessions to not get overly bored with it. Also, I crank the tunes as I'm way more focused and effective with music playing.
Yes, that's semi gloss clear over trim black satin. I'm trying to achieve a factory looking finish and I think this will do the trick, I hope lol!
I'm going to do the body and paint myself so I best get used to a whole bunch of sanding !!!!!! It's a journey... I keep telling myself that at least

In typical fashion, I've let my OCD and perfection get the best of me and have taken steps backwards!!!
I noticed some missed bodywork on one of my wheelwells yesterday. Crap happens, I thought about just painting them, but I know I'd be unhappy with the results and the spots in the pic are super visible once installed!!!!
20190725_184930.jpg

Soooo, I consulted ole RKTPWRD on the best course of action even though I wouldn't like it. Yep, he said only way is to sand the primer off, get some 3M glaze which fills minor imperfections as these are, and do it again! He's right, I'll be happier at the end of this job knowing the structure is flat and smooth!!! I sanded the primer off with 220 grit, then dug in with 180 grit to give the glaze something to "grab ahold" of. I have to pickup the materials tomorrow, but away I go into learning what's it like more and more to be a bodyman.
20190725_200610.jpg

I love seeing this because I know I would want it right as well.... And when we make mistakes, we ask questions, and do it again. Once I get done with the suspension, motor, trans, rearend install... I will start with my firewall.... And it's all gonna be new to me.... And I'll have to refer back to threads like this and ask questions as usual !
Love watching your progress

So yesterday I picked up the 3M glaze to smooth out the imperfections. This is my first real attempt at bodyworking start to finish, and dang that stuff hardens fast!!! I used the correct mix ratio, but I learned real quick to be speedy.
Anyways, got it applied, let it dry, then started blocking with 180 as per the instructions. It's looking and feeling way better, but I ran out of light and 180 grit paper last night. Going to pickup more materials ina bit as we have back to school shopping to do, and maybe get some more sanding done later.
20190726_123605.jpg
20190726_202243.jpg
20190726_211306.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor