87 Monte Carlo SS aerocoupe -2nd chance-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got some progress. I got the frame welded up finally. This whole time my amish neighbor had a kickass welder. He let me use it for free. Turns out he's a pretty awesome dude. He likes Coors Light and Lynyrd Skynyrd so we're basically best friends now. I couldn't get a trailer so I had to load it up in my truck for the 100 yard drive. A 15 foot frame in a 6.5 foot bed fits like a glove.
20160129_164341.jpg

After a couple or 13 Coors Lights I got creative....I regret nothing!
20160130_025603 (1).jpg

Fast forward to tonight. After a few hours of sanding and cleaning I got the frame painted. Atleast the bottom anyway. I used the KBS RustSeal paint. Stuff kicks *ss. Awesome spraying it, and looks awesome. I figured this was my chance to do something different instead of the same old boring black frame.
20160205_223221.jpg

20160205_223236.jpg

I bought a new fuel tank and a sump. The welds ended up looking like sh*t so I ended up using a full can of stone guard to help cover them up. Worked awesome and doesn't look nearly as shitty.
20160205_223255.jpg

I got to messing around with the door panels. They originally came from a Cutlass. I got the new vinyl and padding glued on. Just trying to think of something to add design-wise to make it not so boring. Isn't a priority right now anyway....
20160205_223328.jpg

I managed to take advantage of the 50* days we had here and got the front suspension out of the 83. It was fun with no spring compressor. I got everything painted and ready to go on the new frame as soon as it's dried.

Gotta love finding a neighbor like that, and the beer/band to really get those creative juices flowing.

G body frames running around in the back of a Dodge is common enough isn't it? See it all the time

Reactions: 1 user
83MONTESS just in case you did not notice but the Cutlass/Regal upper door panels are not the same shape as a Monte they rise up near the front of the door where a Monte stays flat.

83MONTESS just in case you did not notice but the Cutlass/Regal upper door panels are not the same shape as a Monte they rise up near the front of the door where a Monte stays flat.
Yea I realized that which I thought was weird but they still fit and look good.

When I first swapped in an interior it was from my 81' Regal before I sold it and the swap included everything including the upper door panels.
Since then I reupholstered mine also but I created my design under the material and set it up for the component speaker.
I doubt anyone will notice but you (and me) but the door pull kind of gives it away as to what car it is from.

When I first swapped in an interior it was from my 81' Regal before I sold it and the swap included everything including the upper door panels.
Since then I reupholstered mine also but I created my design under the material and set it up for the component speaker.
I doubt anyone will notice but you (and me) but the door pull kind of gives it away as to what car it is from.
Yea I picked these panels because of the door pull mainly. IMO they are the best looking door panels these cars had. I really don't like all the other ones. Too "grannie" looking for me. I would have just deleted the pull strap but I plan on using aluminum/sheet metal lower door panels from Scott Rod Fab. Im gonna come up with some trim pieces for the door panels that I will have hydrodipped to match the gauge panel and dash trim.

I like the door pulls on both the Regal and Cutlass but not a fan of the door straps which seem to always come loose and then the bolt covers fall off.

the swap included everything including the upper door panels.
I really like how those came out. I have seen how to make something custom like that in a back issue of one of the car mags - and yours turned out exceptionally well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor