87 Monte Carlo SS aerocoupe -2nd chance-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like how those came out. I have seen how to make something custom like that in a back issue of one of the car mags - and yours turned out exceptionally well.
Thanks, and it was in a Hot Rod article (maybe others) where they showed how to make door panels using 1/4" hard foam for design and then covering it in upholstery material, I did not want to get too elaborate on design I just wanted to make something that matched my interior and gave me a dedicated spot to mount the speaker.

Updates....got the front and rear suspension in so I can roll it around. Front springs were a major pain in the *ss with no weight on the frame but I got it done.
20160211_212357.jpg

20160211_212337.jpg

The frame notch was definately needed. Tires fit perfectly.
20160211_212322.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that is looking great!!! what size are the rears and whats are the specs on the rims? If you don't mind me asking.

Wow that is looking great!!! what size are the rears and whats are the specs on the rims? If you don't mind me asking.
Thanks. The rear wheels are 17x9" with 5" backspacing. The tires are 295/45R17 Mickey Thompson ET Street II's.

Finally got the body off the frame. I used basic 4x4"s to support it. While I was lifting it to put the last 4x4 in across the rear the middle one snapped and the car fell. Banged up the pinch weld along the bottom of the body but I can fix it. I was surprised that a damn 4x4 snapped in half like that so I went to Ace and got some long pieces of angle iron to run across the top of the boards to help distribute the weight. Seems pretty sturdy.
20160214_043950.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Finally got the body off the frame. I used basic 4x4"s to support it. While I was lifting it to put the last 4x4 in across the rear the middle one snapped and the car fell. Banged up the pinch weld along the bottom of the body but I can fix it. I was surprised that a damn 4x4 snapped in half like that so I went to Ace and got some long pieces of angle iron to run across the top of the boards to help distribute the weight. Seems pretty sturdy.
View attachment 47453
I'm not terribly surprised the 4x4 snapped on you, that's a lot of weight for just one to support till you could get the other one in.
I'm always super careful about what I use to support loads (especially ones I may be working under) so I went the overkill route and used 6x6's to support mine when the body comes off.
It's a bit more difficult to get them to sit nicely in the saddle of the jackstands, but worth it in knowing they'll never break under the weight.

View attachment 47453
I'm not terribly surprised the 4x4 snapped on you, that's a lot of weight for just one to support till you could get the other one in.
I'm always super careful about what I use to support loads (especially ones I may be working under) so I went the overkill route and used 6x6's to support mine when the body comes off.
It's a bit more difficult to get them to sit nicely in the saddle of the jackstands, but worth it in knowing they'll never break under the weight.
Yea im still kinda iffy on it. I think im gonna go to china freight this week and get a few sets of jack stands to put in the middle of the 4x4s while im under there. I'd be pissed if it fell and I died and couldn't finish it!

Right now its just 6ft pieces of angle iron across the top of the 4x4s. Think that's enough to hold it???

Right now its just 6ft pieces of angle iron across the top of the 4x4s. Think that's enough to hold it???

I would say it depends on the angle iron you're using. If it's 1/2 X 1/2 just laid in place with a prayer and good intentions, I'd say no.

But if you're using something like 2 X 2 or 3 X 3 X 1/4 wall properly screwed and attached, you may be alright.
On the other hand, if one is going to snap, say, in the middle, a couple pieces of angle ain't gonna keep it together either.
:eek:

Are you thinking you will be back on the road come summer time?
Not sure. My goal is August. After I patch and clean the floors all I gotta do is paint them and then set the body down. After that my dad will start on the body work and I will be putting it back together. Front and rear suspension is done, all the plumbing will be done before the body goes on. After that its setting the engine and trans in, hooking everything up and putting the interior back in.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor