A Fabricobbler's Guide to the Turbo Buick Galaxy- Cutlass Rehash

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
1. What year Vue & safe to say no map light.
2. See I'm not the only one grabbing up RKE modules.
3. Apollo-do it.
4. Wish that black Monte by the Chevelle was near me.

I think any Vue. There's one without and one with the compass and temp. Correct, no map light.

First RKE module swap for me! I got lucky too and got one with a FOB.

That's still only 20% of the parts I need to put it back to Buick
Screenshot_20221023-192108.png

There's not much left
IMG_20190422_105929.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There's not much left
But it might have my needed dark maple seatbelts. I zoomed in & notice it's a '81 & was originally a bucket seat car. If those seat belt has color matched palstic trimed buckles instead of the all metal ones I'd be all over them. Be one hell of a road trip for me.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Part of the turbo swap I have planned is to ditch the OEM turbo Buick intercooler. I want a true front mount.

I still have my air filter and battery up front so I didn't really want to cut the inner fenders or core support to get the cooler pipes through so the best option is under the rad.

Limited off the shelf intercooler options for what I want to do so I looked and theres a core that works great with these tredstone end ranks I got on black Friday for $80 shipped. I can't fab them for $40 a piece for sure!!

The cooler will kinda eat into where the header panel support bracket sits so my plan is to fab a bracket that supports the header panel also, toss that bracket and make it integral into the cooler.

Should be a fun project.

PXL_20221203_182838134.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The header support bracket is easily replaced by a piece of threaded rod and some hackery ;) Trust me, I’ve made a couple haha.

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Should be cool, can't wait to see what you do.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I need to get cracking on the trans.

I tore the 2004r apart out of the wagon setup which was from the 2+2 that burned up the band last year.

I called husek and didn't have answers to some of his questions and needed to read the tech manual. I finally got through that and took a look at what I have and what I want to upgrade.

Basically all my forward clutches had heat signs but nothing is toast.

Definitely a shift kit, dual feed the direct drum, 4 friction OD and assorted line pressure update.

Chucked the front pump cover in the lathe and cut .015" off to resurface it.

PXL_20230303_031305991.jpg
PXL_20230303_034016710.jpg

Probably needs a hone Stone to clean it up a bit but it's smooth.
PXL_20230303_040437506.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
The extra 4th and the dual feed was worth it IMO. Also get a billet band pin while you have it apart.

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The extra 4th and the dual feed was worth it IMO. Also get a billet band pin while you have it apart.

I didn't have that billet pin on my list, I'll take a look.

Besides basic clutches and the mods I already listed, the only thing I am up in the air about is the aftermarket hobbed 4340 input shaft on the forward clutch housing. I'd like to save the $400, but also it sounds like they are out of stock at many suppliers. The cost and supply issues make me a bit tempted to not get one, but it's a part that allows growth down the road I guess?

The billet input shaft and output shaft were not things I planned to do, trying to keep this one more basic!

I also have heard the alto wide band is out of stock. I think Husek doesn't use one anyways, but I owe him a call to see if I can get parts coming my way.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Input shaft and OD planet are the 1st to go when power gets added according to Chris at CK. The billet OD planet is just silly
Money though.

What are you running for a govna, boost valve and servo?

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Input shaft and OD planet are the 1st to go when power gets added according to Chris at CK. The billet OD planet is just silly
Money though.

What are you running for a govna, boost valve and servo?

Govna: cut down one out of this trans to GN BRF disc
Servo: the big sonnax one
Boost valve: tbd. Whatever husek sells me probably.

I'd like to support CK as Im borrowing your book but their parts in stock and communication leave something to be desired

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor