A Fabricobbler's Guide to the Turbo Buick Galaxy- Cutlass Rehash

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If he had a Terminator he could wire in a sensor and log it. Just saying.
Terminator-2-judgement-day.jpg

Nah, I think I'd use a terminator for much more useful stuff...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I know it's not a regularly checked item, but I check the line pressure every time the trans comes apart and gets put back in. If for only to know what it was when installed for diagnostic purposes later. I don't make it out of the driveway without the gauge hooked up.

If you can imagine an old man spaz moment, then picture this, fresh trans install and gauge in hand trying to watch it at WOT as the boost starts climbing over 15. I'm sure if I were to show a video of that to my wife that she'd burn the car while I was at work :-0

Keep in mind, just trying to set an example for ya ;)

Good point, I already have a NPT to #4 JIC fitting in the case on this trans, I just need to hunt down a hose & gage.

This trans has 5k roughly on it behind the carb turbo 3.8 and its always been fine, but now that its getting smashed with another 20 cubic inches and 70% more boost so it's probably seeing double the power.

I'll prioritize checking pressure. The trans has a reman pump in it but I don't know anything about what regulator it has in it so good catch on checking.

View attachment 199753

Nah, I think I'd use a terminator for much more useful stuff...

Fuel pressure
Trans pressure
Ethanol content
Wideband voltage

Oh my!

I am heavily leaning towards the Dynamic EFI board upgrade which is a board you solder in place of the chip on the existing PCM. It also does data logging and 8 0-5v analog inputs. I gotta get on that....

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

2 more fittings and a 6' hose from local hose shop or Napa. You might need a 45 degree fitting to get a hose on the trans fitting - I'm quite sure I had to on the 200-4R.

I'm interested in the dynamic EFI setup. Do you have a link to it?

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

2 more fittings and a 6' hose from local hose shop or Napa. You might need a 45 degree fitting to get a hose on the trans fitting - I'm quite sure I had to on the 200-4R.

I'm interested in the dynamic EFI setup. Do you have a link to it?

I'll work on a gauge ;)

Heres some info on the Dynamic system

I have his board that converts the OEM single brick coil to LS style and I've been happy with it

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Tossed in more 2+2 rejected parts.

Rear shocks were replaced on the 2+2 for adjustables but were still good so they kicked out the 2010 era Monroe's that were on the cutlass. Of course they were blown as every Monroe shock always is in my experience.

These gas adjust kybs have more miles on but are still like new firm whereas the Monroes still have a little gas charge but not much.

Moog 5409 rear springs came also out of the 2+2 and got replaced with 5413's because the ride height was too low. The cutlass is a bit lighter, I'm not loading the back with drag and drive stuff, and it's got gas shocks that add a bit of up force that the adjustables don't have.

Junk and less used junk
PXL_20220611_025139641.jpg

Got a mild case of Carolina squat going on. Uncut 5660's on the front with tall lower BJ's. The ride height in the 2+2 is perfect with the same setup but this car has aluminum core support and bumper and a v6 weighs less than a iron LS with a blower along with not having the heavy 2+2 nose so there's my additional 1.5" of front ride height.

I need too cut a half a coil and see where I end up.
PXL_20220611_033008958.jpg

I also picked up a pair of $100 15x8.5 3.5" BS GM pattern slots last weekend at the Mopar show and swap meet.

They need a good sand and polish as they were painted silver and had a poor stripping job but considering non unilug slots in 15" width are unobtainable let alone for $100 I said why not. I don't think I'll put drag radials on these as I have AR 8.5" wide vectors to match the 7" GM T wheels but they are a good wall hanger until I find a car to put them on :)
PXL_20220611_031515803.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Cut half a coil off the front springs today

And should have went more. Tried the 1/4 cut coil is 1" thing and was at 27.5, I want 26, so I cut half aiming for 25.75-26 and I got 27". :/ Those were some lame returns. 1/2 coil is 1/2".

Granted the first half a coil is slightly tapered so I bet the next half a coil will get me another inch, but I gotta blast it apart again and cut again which isn't exactly what I was looking for.

But I took it for a cruise and it rides way better, the non blown rear shocks make a difference (who woulda thought!) Lol.

But the alignment is lackluster now, even that 1/2" drop screwed up the toe and it road hunts. Gotta get that fixed this week.

PXL_20220613_015242231.jpg

PXL_20220613_002513290.jpg

Reactions: 6 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Take 2, no more Carolina squat. Cut another 1/4 coil (.650") and it settled right in at 26" after a short cruise.

Not motorhead Mike low but good enough for me :p

I needs a front air dam but otherwise I'm happy with where it is!

PXL_20220614_032311542.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Take 2, no more Carolina squat. Cut another 1/4 coil (.650") and it settled right in at 26" after a short cruise.

Not motorhead Mike low but good enough for me :p

I needs a front air dam but otherwise I'm happy with where it is!

View attachment 200550

It looks really good. It'll settle in a bit more.

EDIT: I had a post that didn't survive the server issues that told you to sneak up on it. Glad you did.

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Hardly worth it update #7.3574

Braved the 'record heat' warning (Yeah, it's summer, it's warm, it's not that atypical, it's still better than January and -15f) and power washed the car last night along with washing the last of the mouse urine stains from the ~5 years it has sat in storage.

Very happy with where the ride height settled in at and the car rides better than it ever has. Ended up with Moog 5409 rears, and 5660's on the front with 3/4 coil cut on the front with 1/2 tall lower ball joints and zq8 foam bump stops up front. Otherwise just stock rebuild. It's comfortable but still confidence inspiring which is what I wanted. The steering parts were wasted when I rebuilt the setup last fall but getting a good gauge on everything was tough with the front ride height being too high and the rear still being stock.

It has 'woomped' over bumps from the rear end for 12 years and I'm 99% sure the monroe shocks on the back blew the day I put them on. I think the shocks were making funny noises on rebound and it never felt like the rear end was supported. That's fixed now. Only complaint is the brakes are so lame compared to the 2+2, but it's going to get LS1 disks up front and disks on the rear when I drop in the 8.5" rear so that's going to get addressed.

Body bushings, good shocks, stiffer springs & new suspension bushings really brings a G body around.

I'll get 1-2 nights of cruising on it this week/weekend and then its time to go into storage again though :p I only have room for 1 project at home and the 2+2 needs to come back out to get the rear gear swapped and probably a Dyno run. Probably going to take it out again this fall and I'll get the trans, rear end, and braking system addressed this winter.

1655303963906.png

Reactions: 9 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hardly worth it update #7.3574

Braved the 'record heat' warning (Yeah, it's summer, it's warm, it's not that atypical, it's still better than January and -15f) and power washed the car last night along with washing the last of the mouse urine stains from the ~5 years it has sat in storage.

Very happy with where the ride height settled in at and the car rides better than it ever has. Ended up with Moog 5409 rears, and 5660's on the front with 3/4 coil cut on the front with 1/2 tall lower ball joints and zq8 foam bump stops up front. Otherwise just stock rebuild. It's comfortable but still confidence inspiring which is what I wanted. The steering parts were wasted when I rebuilt the setup last fall but getting a good gauge on everything was tough with the front ride height being too high and the rear still being stock.

It has 'woomped' over bumps from the rear end for 12 years and I'm 99% sure the monroe shocks on the back blew the day I put them on. I think the shocks were making funny noises on rebound and it never felt like the rear end was supported. That's fixed now. Only complaint is the brakes are so lame compared to the 2+2, but it's going to get LS1 disks up front and disks on the rear when I drop in the 8.5" rear so that's going to get addressed.

Body bushings, good shocks, stiffer springs & new suspension bushings really brings a G body around.

I'll get 1-2 nights of cruising on it this week/weekend and then its time to go into storage again though :p I only have room for 1 project at home and the 2+2 needs to come back out to get the rear gear swapped and probably a Dyno run. Probably going to take it out again this fall and I'll get the trans, rear end, and braking system addressed this winter.

View attachment 200603
Car looks great. I've enjoyed the thread.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor