A Fabricobbler's Guide to the Turbo Buick Galaxy- Cutlass Rehash

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Now that it's running good?

Put it in storage :/

Went to the schtrreeeet outlawwwwwhs no prep thingy mabobs since it's reasonably close on Saturday. I've never been to BIR despite the inlaws being only 80 miles away and being the 'big' local nhra national track.

I've honestly never seen an episode of no prep kings and haven't watched a normal episode for 5+ years but thought why not.

Got lucky and the weather looked pretty knarly but it stayed dry the whole time.
PXL_20220618_204419821.jpg

Overall NPK is an ok show but if you're like me it's not as fun as drag week or something more average joe related. If your into signatures and merch from the driver's it's probably ok. I just took it as an opportunity to see cars and go to BIR. Its really slow, 9+ hrs with maybe 5 rounds, there's maybe an actual total of 2 minutes of cars going down the track. Lots of other classes (7.0 index, local small tire, future/tryouts class)

Bought a Larry shirt. I just want to keep him going because he's always been very innovative and average joe.

Of the ~20 cars he's for sure the most grassroots. I'm pretty sure he's the only driver/builder. 4yr old 1ton dually and 5th wheel enclosed trailer where almost everyone else has a toterhome or full semi rig with living quarters.
PXL_20220618_193019342.jpg

Doc (blue monte guy) did have a really nice hatch nova, legitimately a nice car
PXL_20220618_192905363.jpg

Lutz GTO, really nice also, not built by him (no silicone on the frame)
PXL_20220618_225240888.jpg

But since I was so close to car storage took the cutlass up to the woods
PXL_20220619_025341619.NIGHT.jpg

And in hibernation until fall when I get the trans and rear done
PXL_20220619_141149517.jpg
PXL_20220619_143120820.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Went to the schtrreeeet outlawwwwwhs no prep thingy mabobs since it's reasonably close on Saturday. I've never been to BIR despite the inlaws being only 80 miles away and being the 'big' local nhra national track.

I've honestly never seen an episode of no prep kings and haven't watched a normal episode for 5+ years but thought why not.

Got lucky and the weather looked pretty knarly but it stayed dry the whole time.
View attachment 200722

Overall NPK is an ok show but if you're like me it's not as fun as drag week or something more average joe related. If your into signatures and merch from the driver's it's probably ok. I just took it as an opportunity to see cars and go to BIR. Its really slow, 9+ hrs with maybe 5 rounds, there's maybe an actual total of 2 minutes of cars going down the track. Lots of other classes (7.0 index, local small tire, future/tryouts class)

Bought a Larry shirt. I just want to keep him going because he's always been very innovative and average joe.

Of the ~20 cars he's for sure the most grassroots. I'm pretty sure he's the only driver/builder. 4yr old 1ton dually and 5th wheel enclosed trailer where almost everyone else has a toterhome or full semi rig with living quarters.
View attachment 200723

View attachment 200724

View attachment 200730

View attachment 200721

View attachment 200732 View attachment 200731
A little bittersweet. Gone for awhile but 2+2 updates to look forward to.

Reactions: 3 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

View attachment 200722

View attachment 200723

View attachment 200724

View attachment 200730

View attachment 200721

View attachment 200732 View attachment 200731
It's funny to see how much Larson and Lutz hate eachother from Drag Week stuff that has now trickled into NPK

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It's funny to see how much Larson and Lutz hate eachother from Drag Week stuff that has now trickled into NPK

I had no idea there was animosity between them. I follow zero of the drama haha.

Only thing I know about is the 10yr old+ thread on Yellow Bullet where someone had Lutz build a car for him and found silicone covering bad welds and steering rack placement that Ray Charles could tell you was bad.

I just have respect for Larry that he's the only (that I'm aware of) builder & driver doing it on a normal budget. Back when he had the drag week S10 and welded a foot and a half on the back to make it long enough to pass as a ext cab short bed like the VIN said it was, putting a Harts/tractor pulling diesel single turbo on to get a 150lb weight break, his middle finger to the NPK rule book when they said his S10 wasn't 'legal' so he built the ATS and it still uses OEM doors and has the OEM weatherstrip.

They've got years of trying to rule him out via the rulebook and he always comes up with a better idea to compete, I've always admired that.

If I had a year that I could take a year off without pay, I'd apprentice at Larry's shop. Tons of stuff to learn from him.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I had no idea there was animosity between them. I follow zero of the drama haha.

Only thing I know about is the 10yr old+ thread on Yellow Bullet where someone had Lutz build a car for him and found silicone covering bad welds and steering rack placement that Ray Charles could tell you was bad.

I just have respect for Larry that he's the only (that I'm aware of) builder & driver doing it on a normal budget. Back when he had the drag week S10 and welded a foot and a half on the back to make it long enough to pass as a ext cab short bed like the VIN said it was, putting a Harts/tractor pulling diesel single turbo on to get a 150lb weight break, his middle finger to the NPK rule book when they said his S10 wasn't 'legal' so he built the ATS and it still uses OEM doors and has the OEM weatherstrip.

They've got years of trying to rule him out via the rulebook and he always comes up with a better idea to compete, I've always admired that.

If I had a year that I could take a year off without pay, I'd apprentice at Larry's shop. Tons of stuff to learn from him.
Yeah, and I am the other way. I really only watch the TV shows for the most part cause any time that stuff comes to the state it is usually the other side of the state so don't feel like making the trip and I am not built for the sun to begin with. I know he was a bad **** from years ago with Drag Week, I watched intently one year cause a local girl was running her G Body on it and did really well using her brothers motor since it was blown up right before it started. All I had seen of him since seemed to be smugness on the shows, but makes a lot of sense now that you say they had continually been trying to sack him.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Yeah, and I am the other way. I really only watch the TV shows for the most part cause any time that stuff comes to the state it is usually the other side of the state so don't feel like making the trip and I am not built for the sun to begin with. I know he was a bad **** from years ago with Drag Week, I watched intently one year cause a local girl was running her G Body on it and did really well using her brothers motor since it was blown up right before it started. All I had seen of him since seemed to be smugness on the shows, but makes a lot of sense now that you say they had continually been trying to sack him.

Yeah I have never seen an episode of NPK, I have no cable and am too busy doing my own thing to watch other people lol.

I had no idea they make him look bad on the show. He has built the Robert's firebird and has done a good amount on Jerry's split bumper camaro, probably more outside of my knowledge.

He does some youtube videos that are worth watching. He goes through a ton of details he builds in that you don't catch watching the show i'd assume.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Yeah I have never seen an episode of NPK, I have no cable and am too busy doing my own thing to watch other people lol.

I had no idea they make him look bad on the show. He has built the Robert's firebird and has done a good amount on Jerry's split bumper camaro, probably more outside of my knowledge.

He does some youtube videos that are worth watching. He goes through a ton of details he builds in that you don't catch watching the show i'd assume.
I wouldn't say they make him look that way, I took it as just the way he comes off in general. Might be the semi mono tone he has

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Back to updates here I guess
2+2 is going into storage soon and the cutlass is coming back home for a trans and wiring upgrade this winter.

Made it to the salvage yard with Blake yesterday for some misc 2+2 and cutlass parts.

Got a compass/temp mirror out of a Vue, some interior trim I was missing and a v8 gm throttle cable as the repop one I bought for the SFI swap on the cutlass sucked.

Also got a piece for the radio antenna that's broke in the 2+2, another inner fender liner extension and a remote keyless entry module. Also some center caps for the drag wheels. Not sure what they are off but they mostly match the OEM 2+2 style

Most of that I got was for my fiero buddy. He has an 88 GT which has some broken 1 year only parts and there was a 88 SE stick fiero at the yard with almost everything he needed so he was pumped.

The haul

PXL_20221023_182056117.jpg

There's an Apollo hatch in Omaha that has a nova nose I've contemplating looking at. There's this Apollo at the yard with some of the parts I'd need but not enough to make it complete
PXL_20221022_155600879.jpg

They have a building of hubcaps, wheels and center caps
PXL_20221022_183930797.jpg

Saw this deathtrap 67 dirt track Chevelle at the yard. Check out the cage. Yikes..
PXL_20221022_170237946.jpg

PXL_20221022_170246565.jpg

PXL_20221022_170300222.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
They literally founded the phrase - built from scraps we had laying around.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got a compass/temp mirror out of a Vue, some interior trim I was missing and a v8 gm throttle cable as the repop one I bought for the SFI swap on the cutlass sucked.

Also got a piece for the radio antenna that's broke in the 2+2, another inner fender liner extension and a remote keyless entry module. Also some center caps for the drag wheels. Not sure what they are off but they mostly match the OEM 2+2 style

There's an Apollo hatch in Omaha that has a nova nose I've contemplating looking at. There's this Apollo at the yard with some of the parts I'd need but not enough to make it complete
Saw this deathtrap 67 dirt track Chevelle at the yard. Check out the cage. Yikes..
1. What year Vue & safe to say no map light.
2. See I'm not the only one grabbing up RKE modules.
3. Apollo-do it.
4. Wish that black Monte by the Chevelle was near me.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor