Just trying to help out.
mutY3DV-The-Super-Sexy-Kate-Beckinsale-59-Photos-s1280x1024-428759.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
FWIW, my wife has a ridiculous girl crush on her so don't be too worried about her being offended by whatever happens to be on my screen when she walks by.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That's the thing right there. I try to buy local as much as the budget allows.

X2^2 - I buy everything possible from the locally owned and operated speed shop. Amazingly they are cheaper, competitive, or close to competitive on most everything. Occasionally, I have to buy online.

I think back in the day, even in the 1980s, you kinda had to be at least a little bit of a "car person".

Holy Shhhhhhhcow young man, I was your age back in the 80's. You're making me feel like an old fart. You're only as old as you feel. I've jumped to FI and the younger guys love to talk FI, electronics, etc. - you have to grow with the times.

Thanks again Mr. Sony for making me feel like a relic :):)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I have the same issue here. autozone, pep boys, advanced. even the napa sometimes amazes me with the lack of knowledge. i have been very pleased with ordering from rock auto, summit and ebay. sometimes i will still go to napa for big items like brack calipers and such since exchanges will be simplier. autozone is great when i need fluids,cleaners and to dispose of used motor oil.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
Right out of high school I worked for a Carquest owned by three brothers. Started out driving a delivery truck, and looking up my own parts for my own junk. While I was doing that customer walks in and starts spouting off what he needs, I look it up, pull it off the shelf, blam! I'm the new counterman. When I started we still had books. I was there the day they hooked the computers up. 89? But we always had catalogs and kept vintage catalogs in a rack in the back. I once was able to find a 14 spline 10 inch clutch disc to put a V6 T5 Firebird trans in my 65 Nova. Application? 5 speed Astro van. You have zero chance of finding something like that with a computer.

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Right out of high school I worked for a Carquest owned by three brothers. Started out driving a delivery truck, and looking up my own parts for my own junk. While I was doing that customer walks in and starts spouting off what he needs, I look it up, pull it off the shelf, blam! I'm the new counterman. When I started we still had books. I was there the day they hooked the computers up. 89? But we always had catalogs and kept vintage catalogs in a rack in the back. I once was able to find a 14 spline 10 inch clutch disc to put a V6 T5 Firebird trans in my 65 Nova. Application? 5 speed Astro van. You have zero chance of finding something like that with a computer.
Took me 3 trips to three stores to find the weird 3 angle lower rad hose for my old '70 429 t bird. None of the puters said they had it. Looked up a galaxie with a 429, boom. On the wall behind him.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
My point? They all kind of suck equally when viewed as an average. There are varying degrees of suckage. Some suck more or less than others but they mostly all suck now. The American speed shop era is long behind us.
View attachment 75922

Theres still plenty of speedshops around. Every Oreillys had an account at the wholesaler I worked at, so did a ton of Car Quests (Im guessing independent ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor