Alignment Required? MOOG Suspension Components/ Top of the Line > NHRA certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
"Opinions" as to see all responses. I forgot, majored in the sciences, 'psychology'. This may be construed as being sly but I believe that I can extract information as to see who knows what AND if their response is valid or not. No offense.

By the way I left the evolution class whereas the professor said, "The same exact conditions exist this day to create human life. I said, "Let's conduct a lab experiment with all the environmental conditions you claim exist" and let us create human life. The professor said, "Don't talk foolish Thomas". I walked out, slammed the door and turned my back on science, never to return. Please, do not equate or associate any analogies as relating to science, "Do not care to hear it, Not at all".

now I understand why no alignment is needed, you are aligned with a greater power....:D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
College boy with a bibble verse in his sig line where there's spoda be no religious references......... I understand fully, now.

*Proofread for errors; any seen are intentional.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

spicercars

Greasemonkey
Jan 7, 2019
Saginaw MN
Have an alignment done. Tires aren't cheap.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just for fun, I also have a built-in "chowderhead" detector, and the way you're poo-pooing anyone's responses here that doesn't validate your own theories has my Spidey senses tingling. I've notice you have a tendency for it from other threads, too.

Don't align at your peril. Maybe tell us why should we GAF if you don't? I suspect your master mechanic was just being a tad lazy IMO. Wasn't there so I don't know his context, but to answer your question I would agree an alignment MAY not be required for simply replacing center link or idler arm, but it might be. Why do you need to change a center link anyway? Oh yeah, there's a swivel balls attaching to the idler and pitman arms that wear out. Recall all parts are manufactured to tolerances, thus, some longer than others, tighter fit, etc., which could change your geometry every so slightly. Did you know if your idler arm isn't placed in the exact same rotational plane as it was when removed, it may affect your toe settings (again, ever so slightly)? How do you know for sure that you don't need an alignment without checking? Because some long-retired old mechanic told you once that you didn't need to touch it? Apparently he never told you to never simply check it. You may not need an alignment, but you can always have the alignment checked to ensure it's still within spec and then if it's out, they can put it back in. Alignments have always been cheaper than good tires. Always. Hopefully Mr. Mastermechanic didn't give you that same advice about your oil.

How low has your springs settled over the years (which will affect your camber settings) or how much have the ball joints worn? If you drive 1 mile per month on average, or you have a trailer/garage queen, then you may be able to go 30 years without an alignment as the uneven tire wear would take years to visually detect. But I won't buy the BS for a second that you've had no wear on your front end components. Well, obviously you have, since you're replacing components.

If you drive your car, you're slowly wearing the clearances on all the moving parts up front. Driving "straight" doesn't mean much in front end alignment. You can get a screwed up alignment to go straight down the road. A tad too much toe in/out can cause edge wear on your tires but the car still can go straight. It's your car, do what you want.

Here's some free advice about forum participation...it seems you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder when responding to help/advice. How about trying not to come across as so abrasive and maybe even helping out others? If you've had your car a long time, or from new as some of us have, you should have something constructive to offer to the rest of the room, especially the guys who are new to the G-body experience. Of course you don't have to, you can always do your thing, and we'll do ours.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
-trolls for "opinions"
-corrects others spelling and lets them know about it
-dismisses perfectly sound advice
-posts in bold font
-breaks basic forum rules

I got my money on Napoleon Complex.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This is one of the most odd threads I've seen in a while.

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hey guys! I just got here... what did I miss?

Ooooohhhh...

• Haha

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Hey guys! I just got here... what did I miss?

Ooooohhhh...

Make sure you see the related threads on a Ford dealership fixing valve cover gaskets on a classic Oldsmobile and how to overthink spray paint on your air cleaner lid. :rofl:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor