Any thoughts or experience with Gear Vendors Overdrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
For that price i could buy a good 2wd 6.0L/4L80 combo out of a 2500 truck.

Our '71 Baldwin Motion LS7 camaro had the Hone overdrive with 4.11 gears, but the original owner switched them to 4.56 or 4.88's or something stupid. The car only had 7,800 miles on when we bought it, mostly because the Overdrive kept exploding.

Just like a Richmond 6 speed, if you never shift into OD in anger, they will live forever... but that one time you do....

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
If you dont have ridiculous torque figures (below 400), the 700R4 and 2004R are much cheaper options.

If you get steered towards a 4L80e because they have the exact same ratios as a TH400 with GV-overdrive, then dont forget that the converter options for a 4L80e are just about non-existent and extremely expensive. A high performance, high stall TH400+GV and a built up 4L80e will cost about the same.

If you want extreme torque capability, and economy, the Tremec Magnum is just about the best option these days. Not automatic though.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
There is many Torque converters for the 4l80E, yes they are expensive($1000 plus)and weigh in at 175lbs where as the 2004R weight is 110 lbs .
Rebuilding a 4l80E yourself for around $450 manual shift thats pretty cheap.
Don't like the weight of the 4l80E try the 4l60E at 125 lbs and you can rebuild it yourself for about $600 with manual shift. There is hundreds of torque converters for them. Under $750.
You don't like manual shift, it's even cheaper to rebuild.
My point is for afew extra lbs you got a strong 4 speed. I don't even know how many 200 an 700 transmissions l've throw out.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
My point is for afew extra lbs you got a strong 4 speed. I don't even know how many 200 an 700 transmissions l've throw out.

I don't know how much power you are trying to put through one but at 500hp either the 700r4 or the 2004r should be fine with a few parts and correct assembly. The 2004r has the advantage of deep first, well spaced ratios, more torque converter choices than you can shake a stick at, bolts to the back of many engines without an adapter plate and if you are replacing a th350 the drive shaft should work and you just have to move the cross member back. You do need to work out a plan for the tv cable but there are kits and factory setup that can be used for that.

As you add power over the 500 these become more expensive as you need some "fancier" parts.

Is a gear vendors or a 4l80e a better choice? I think budget and how bullet proof you want it to be becomes deciding factors. Those drag week guys running single digit quarter mile times show the gv works with some pretty salty power levels. And with some of the new controllers the 4l80e starts looking pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Well in front of my 4L80E is a 842hp fuel injected BB, an in front of my 4L60E is BB over 500HP.
I learn along time ago and with much expense to not dick around with what might work as your vehicle always evolves. You start with a basic drive train which works good but as you add power you need upgrades whether it be transmission or rearend.
We could also have a discussion on the 7.5 rearend which would be the same, for every one person that says it will handle X HP there will be 1 that says they blew it apart. It's comes down to luck of the draw.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
I think it is great you are sportin 9sec power, but I bet for every one of what you built there are fifty or a hundred that have less than half that much. And dropping $3k on a gear venders od unit is money that could be spent making power and buying gas. And probably come out way ahead with the th350/400 and a low three series gear.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
I think it is great you are sportin 9sec power, but I bet for every one of what you built there are fifty or a hundred that have less than half that much. And dropping $3k on a gear venders od unit is money that could be spent making power and buying gas. And probably come out way ahead with the th350/400 and a low three series gear.

The TH400(when it was in the car)and my gears going down highway at 65mph revved 5000rpm so me rebuilding a 4L80E for $450 was a good idea. And l went from 6 mpg to 10.1mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor